PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid tire ruts around trees

ommegang
06-11-2011, 12:05 PM
How do you guys avoid tire ruts around trees and such. I have used a ZTR for 4 years now and can't seem to avoid this. What, just not do a circle around it???

Thanks,

Lance

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Don't circle around the tree, bro. Pretend it's a square. One side, back up, next side, back up, etc.

Richard Martin
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I do the same thing as Tim (93 chevy). Square the tree off. I lost a primo customer this year because her husband died. She could not longer afford me. The new guy scalps the grass to the dirt and has a ring around every tree in the yard. This is what the lawn used to look like.

http://www.richardmartin.us/lawn%209.JPG

ALC-GregH
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I do the same thing as Tim (93 chevy). Square the tree off. I lost a primo customer this year because her husband died. She could not longer afford me. The new guy scalps the grass to the dirt and has a ring around every tree in the yard. This is what the lawn used to look like.

http://www.richardmartin.us/lawn%209.JPG

what does it look like now?

Richard Martin
06-11-2011, 04:00 PM

I knew someone would ask that. I'm going to get a pic next Thursday when I cut the next door neighbor's lawn. I'll post it here in this thread. They're actually one of my new neighbors. I liked the neighborhood so much I found a house to buy here. It's perfect.

lukemelo216
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
yup dont circle around them. we will go up to the tree on one side, then over to each sides. We trim around our trees too, so it doesnt matter how close we get to them per say. Our customers love us becasue of that. Yea it takes longer, but we dont have big circle marks of dirt around all of them. Seeing as if you have to go around a tree basically 2 times to get everything.

Get Some...
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Doing things a better way can take at least 60 second's longer.....well worth the time.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree I also trim around most trees, at least every other cut. So don't have to spin circles around them. If I do that, I choose to 3 point turn a square around the tree as others have mentioned.

weeze
06-11-2011, 08:41 PM
yeah i noticed my mower was doing this when i bought it new...i just thought it was something my new mower did...cuz my old residential model didn't do it....but i think it's just a commercial mower thing...they have bigger and wider tires with more grip on them...same thing when doing zero turns...it's easy for them to dig up the turf...so it's best to make Y turns and when i go around trees i just do a ) pattern and keep on going...then when i turn around and come back i do another ) around the other side of the tree...this is actually faster than doing a circle around the tree because when doing a circle you have to go back over what you've already cut to complete the circle and keep going....it does leave a tad more to trim but it really doesn't take any longer to trim that little bit of extra grass around the tree....if it's a really big tree or a big round flowerbed then you can go around it without tearing up the turf....it's only when making small radius circles that it tears the turf.

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
yeah i noticed my mower was doing this when i bought it new..

Please don't start blaming commercial mowers for operator error.

weeze
06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Please don't start blaming commercial mowers for operator error.

it wasn't error on my past mowers...but it is on commercial ones....this is my first commercial mower so i wasn't used to doing things this way....but there is a difference in residential mowers and commercial...even in the way you operate them which is kinda strange but that's how it is lol

with my residential mowers i could do zero turns and circles around trees all day without making any ruts or tears in the turf....probably since the tires are smaller and had less grip and it weighed half as much as my commercial mower.

i'm sorry i'm not like you...i didn't know everything at the age of 23...still don't.

Puddle of Oil
06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Jason, if your referring to your tractor mower that goes incredible slow, then dont. commercial mowers go much faster then tractors do and turning at such a fast speed will tear up the turf. Also, going over the same spot over and over at a fast speed on a turn will rut up any lawn with any tractor, homie or commercial mower, it doesn't matter. If your tractor can go 8mph, it will rut!

underPSI
06-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Quite frankly you need to slow down. If you think you are going slow already go even slower. Dragging the inside tire tears up the turf. The inside tire drags because the outside tire is overpowering it. If you slow the mower down the outside tire won't overpower the inside tire. The mower will simply have 2 tires rotating at different speeds.

I read some people square off trees? Why? A tree is round. Slow down and drive around the tree. Why even have a zero-turn if you don't use it for it's design purpose? Just buy a garden tractor and sell the zero-turn. Learn how to drive and you won't tear up the turf. I mow circles around trees everyday and never have drag lines.

Don't take offense to any of this. I, too, was once a rookie and tried to get everything done fast. I learned if I slowed down and concentrated on being smooth instead of fast my times actually decreased.

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 09:20 PM
it wasn't error on my past mowers...but it is on commercial ones....this is my first commercial mower so i wasn't used to doing things this way....but there is a difference in residential mowers and commercial...even in the way you operate them which is kinda strange but that's how it is lol

with my residential mowers i could do zero turns and circles around trees all day without making any ruts or tears in the turf....probably since the tires are smaller and had less grip and it weighed half as much as my commercial mower.

i'm sorry i'm not like you...i didn't know everything at the age of 23...still don't.

LOL, I failed at my business man, you can poke fun at me all the time, I don't care; I deserve it. I'm a loser. I can't seem to do anything right. But if you can't figure out why you're rutting around trees, then I can actually feel good about myself for a split second because it means I actually have a little more skill than somebody else.

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Quite frankly you need to slow down. If you think you are going slow already go even slower. Dragging the inside tire tears up the turf. The inside tire drags because the outside tire is overpowering it. If you slow the mower down the outside tire won't overpower the inside tire. The mower will simply have 2 tires rotating at different speeds.

I read some people square off trees? Why? A tree is round. Slow down and drive around the tree. Why even have a zero-turn if you don't use it for it's design purpose? Just buy a garden tractor and sell the zero-turn. Learn how to drive and you won't tear up the turf. I mow circles around trees everyday and never have drag lines.

Don't take offense to any of this. I, too, was once a rookie and tried to get everything done fast. I learned if I slowed down and concentrated on being smooth instead of fast my times actually decreased.

Depends on the size of the tree...you can't do a "zero turn" around a 3" caliper tree because the tree's too small to circle around, you'll kinda turn the mower into itself, if that makes any sense. I usually hit the left side of the tree, pull forward, back up while swinging the mower over so the trim side of the deck is 1/2" from the trunk, pull forward, hit the next side, and do the same thing once more.

You can circle around a 3' caliper maple, but you have to square off a 3" caliper tree.

underPSI
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry. I didn't think we were discussing a 3" tree.

I mean, really?

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Sorry. I didn't think we were discussing a 3" tree.

I mean, really?

Different trees have different ways of being mowed around :)

Both of us were wrong...you don't have to square off every tree but you can't circle every tree either.

Get Some...
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Different trees have different ways of being mowed around :)

Both of us were wrong...you don't have to square off every tree but you can't circle every tree either.

This is true......

weeze
06-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Jason, if your referring to your tractor mower that goes incredible slow, then dont. commercial mowers go much faster then tractors do and turning at such a fast speed will tear up the turf. Also, going over the same spot over and over at a fast speed on a turn will rut up any lawn with any tractor, homie or commercial mower, it doesn't matter. If your tractor can go 8mph, it will rut!

no i'm talking about a husqvarna 54" ztr with 24hp kohler engine

weeze
06-11-2011, 11:32 PM
LOL, I failed at my business man, you can poke fun at me all the time, I don't care; I deserve it. I'm a loser. I can't seem to do anything right. But if you can't figure out why you're rutting around trees, then I can actually feel good about myself for a split second because it means I actually have a little more skill than somebody else.

huh?...i did figure it out...i'm not the original poster of this thread...for some reason people on here never understand me....whatever man...have fun mowing.:cool2:

93Chevy
06-12-2011, 04:38 AM
huh?...i did figure it out...i'm not the original poster of this thread...for some reason people on here never understand me....whatever man...have fun mowing.:cool2:

When I say "you" I mean anybody who can't figure it out.

Richard Martin
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM

It's pretty ugly. I included a pic of one of the rings he has around every tree now.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Looks like it needs rain. Nice tree rings.

All_Toro_4ME
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
^^^ lol No stripes? Booooo

Richard Martin
06-16-2011, 03:16 PM
^^^ lol No stripes? Booooo

Nah. To make stripes requires you to go back and forth. About 98% of ZTR operators here use a ZTR like it's a riding tractor.

Round and round they go.
Where they stop.
Nobody knows.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Nah. To make stripes requires you to go back and forth. About 98% of ZTR operators here use a ZTR like it's a riding tractor.

Round and round they go.
Where they stop.
Nobody knows.

:laugh::laugh:

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Read most of the post here best advise Is to cut in a diamond like pattern by trees... Let your trimmers do the work. This way you aren't circling around the tree... You just go bam, bam! Works out great <o>
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Read most of the post here best advise Is to cut in a diamond like pattern by trees... Let your trimmers do the work. This way you aren't circling around the tree... You just go bam, bam! Works out great <o>
Posted via Mobile Device

That is exactly what i do. I think it os way faster too then trying to get as close as you can. You have to trim the tree anyway. I regularly leave a 2' diamond on each side of the tree.

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
06-30-2011, 12:50 AM
It's pretty ugly. I included a pic of one of the rings he has around every tree now.

I bet weeds are rediculous now that it is cut so low.
Posted via Mobile Device