PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in designs

TTM42
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I read recently on here a thread about someone mowing a star somehow in a persons front yard and I got to thinking I have a large church account that has a big wide open space that would look great with a big cross mowed into it some way. Does anyone know of a technique that I can try or has anyone ever tried to mow a design into a yard? Is it even possible?

Poontamer
06-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Lower the deck all the way in the middle of field cut one big straight line then do it again
Posted via Mobile Device

Penncare
06-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I will be installing what I hope will be a very unique cross in a church front lawn in a week or so depending on weather and other factors.

TTM42
06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Post pics when you get it done please and let us know how it looks and how you did it.

Ct Chapp
06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's done with different mowing heights. It's about bending the grass in different directions to reflect the light differently. The same can be seen on a carpet when vacuuming in different directions. It's also very likely that you won't see the patterns when you're standing on the grass. I think I read someplace that the more elaborate designs are done with water. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2001-06-27-ballpark-designs.htm

Poontamer
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
You think he sprayed some of that maybe? That green touch up spray for grass to make it supergreen
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
The only design I've ever mowing in a lawn is "PAY ME".

topsites
06-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah ...

Posted via Solid Device

Birdhunter1
06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
For what it's worth I once mowed my own entire yard in a circular fashion. I mowed to the exact measured center and worked my way out changing directions when I got back to where the strip I mowed to the center, I even worked all the corners in the same route.

Also for what it's worth I would not recommend doing it, it looked bad and took a long time to do it that way. I was just tired of the checkerboard pattern and the diagonal stripes I was laying down. Just tried something different.

underPSI
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Designs are easy to do with a little creativity and a squeegee.

93Chevy
06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
If you're doing a cross, you need to mow the short part in like 3 passes going the same direction. Make sure you accentuate the stripe by using a heavy roller, or cutting the same three passes like 75 times. Then do the same thing with the long part...3 passes going TOWARD the road so it's dark.

Then cut the rest of the lawn and pretend the cross is a mulch bed..making sure not to go over it with the blades on. But you can't outline the cross or do a perimeter around it like you would a mulch bed because the lines wouldn't look right. So you have to cut to the cross, turn the blades off, turn around and do the next line.

When you're done, If you have any turn marks in the cross, I'd follow a stripe over to the cross with the blades off, turn the blades on, cut the cross again the same way, then turn the blades off and follow another stripe back to the truck.

SamTheLawnMan
06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162260
This is one I did years ago at my house...

THEGOLDPRO
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
thats pretty dope.

XLS
06-12-2011, 12:38 AM
we did kress auto parts on 3 lines in a box didnt get pics but it took about a hour for a 60` add in their grass it was 6`` grass height to pop out draw the idea helps
Posted via Mobile Device

jslawncare22
06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't think it's done with different mowing heights. It's about bending the grass in different directions to reflect the light differently. The same can be seen on a carpet when vacuuming in different directions. It's also very likely that you won't see the patterns when you're standing on the grass. I think I read someplace that the more elaborate designs are done with water. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2001-06-27-ballpark-designs.htm

good post i never knew you could do a teams logo that blew my mind i am thinking of investing in a good roller now