PDA

View Full Version : lawn maintenance guy killed

docjones
06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Just read this on yahoo news.....really awful and senseless......hope we're all able to put this guy's family in our prayers.....be safe out there guys.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110610/ap_on_re_us/us_van_death_kansas;_ylt=Au5_aSd0n9sNIpg__ZTLREoXIr0F;_ylu=X3oDMTNkZWRqNDlsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNjEwL 3VzX3Zhbl9kZWF0aF9rYW5zYXMEY2NvZGUDdG9wZ21wdG9wMjAwcG9vbARjcG9zAzYEcG9zAzYEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzB HNsawN2YW5raWxsc3dvcms-

docjones
06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Here is a news video of the same story.....does anyone from Lawnsite know who this was? This is really tragic.

http://videos.kansas.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=94431721

Patriot Services
06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Twice this week I almost got hit by a-holes doing 60 down quiet residential streets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
That is really tragic. You can actually see the man's foot under the tarp in the video.
None of us knows what happened, so I don't want to speculate, but I have noticed a lot of times lately when someone is killed like this by an edlerly driver, the driver panics and keeps on going until they get somehwere they feel safe, as apparently this driver did.

This poor LC guys family will be in my prayers.

Twice this week I almost got hit by a-holes doing 60 down quiet residential streets.

I've had similar experiences. Usually with a stupid cell phone up to their ear too.

Get Some...
06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Very sad...

Craig T
06-11-2011, 07:20 PM
The guy was trimming in the yard trimming when a medical Dr driving a mini van drove up over the curb on a busy street and hit the guy. The impact knocked his shoes and socks completely off. The driver of the van then proceeded to drive home 3 miles from where the accident happened with the guy still on the roof of the mini van. The Dr has since been arrested. Be safe out there....

flatlander42
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
The guy was trimming in the yard trimming when a medical Dr driving a mini van drove up over the curb on a busy street and hit the guy. The impact knocked his shoes and socks completely off. The driver of the van then proceeded to drive home 3 miles from where the accident happened with the guy still on the roof of the mini van. The Dr has since been arrested. Be safe out there....

It would be super hard to not choke the driver. IF the A##hole driver would have stopped and tried to help the man on the roof, it makes you wonder if things would have been differnet.

This story makes me sick/pissed.

And as far as cell phones. Usually the ones buzzing me are texting/looking down.

Richard Martin
06-11-2011, 08:13 PM

I'm guessing he didn't have this going? Not that it would have helped.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCN0245.mp4

topsites
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I do remember thinking years ago when I used to mow a lot alongside a busy 45 mph highway, that one good use
for a Ztr was its size and weight, I always figured if the bastards hit me they'd at least know it!

Because I can tell you one thing, I could be straddling the white sidemarker line mowing the sidewalk strip
and those drivers zooming past wouldn't move over an Inch to give me room, not a inch!

When I made mention of it to the homeowner she told me flat out, they don't care and you better watch it because
they'll run you over (and from the tone of her voice it sounded like she might know a little more about that subject).

Yes sir, that gave me a whole new respect for roadside workers,
Most folks don't do squat, they drive past as if they weren't even there.
But nowadays I always slow down and if I can I move over a little I will.

Mikegyver
06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I hardly walk on any street to blow for this reason...just blow it over the center line...and always edge/trim on the grass side.
One of my cousins' husband works there....
mike

Think Green
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Speaking of the Dr. and that prominent looking neighborhood that he will be somewhat in poor posture after this. I really feel for the worker's family,etc. and hope that the Judge will not go lightly on this person of medical standing.
I don't care if the driver is a physician or a waste collector, the laws of vehicular homocide should be the same. FOR ALL!
By the way---There is no way in hell the driver didn't hear or see what happened and drove 3 miles home.........get out of his van..........walk to the door without noticing anything on the roof..............!!!! Give me a friggin break!!

MOturkey
06-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Knew one guy that worked for the state highway department who was killed on the job, and have heard of several others, including two highway patrolman killed in the last few years here in MO while working an accident. People just don't give a crap. Too busy, in a big hurry, on their own agenda.

I see someone along the road, stalled car, pedestrian, whatever, I slow down and move as far over as I safely can.

AI Inc
06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

This past winter we had about 7 cops hit on the side of the road. 1 was hit twice .

Think Green
06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
not singling out any one response above. This is how i feel....

I know one Damn thing.......I respect the Police and State Troopers!
In Arkansas.......don't know about other states, but here there is a lane switch law for emergency vehicles on the roadways. If you don't pull into the other lane safely you will get a 550.00 ticket for officers doing routine stops. You cannot out run the radio and dash board cam. People......if you are doing something illegal you are going to get caught. Have some respect for those that are one the roadways. One day it may be you broken down and for some unforeseen reason walking down the shoulder in hopes to get help. The most common causes of vehicular accidents to date is texting or answering the phone. Pull over and pull off the roadways to answer the phone. If you cannot answer the question verbally, and texting is essential........then do it with caution.

Lawn Care Personnel are working............hold down the road rage..........pay attention to your surroundings and be a responsible citizen. I couldn't sleep at night knowing my cell phone caused the death of a person trying to feed their family.

LoweJ82
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
not singling out any one response above. This is how i feel....

I know one Damn thing.......I respect the Police and State Troopers!
In Arkansas.......don't know about other states, but here there is a lane switch law for emergency vehicles on the roadways. If you don't pull into the other lane safely you will get a 550.00 ticket for officers doing routine stops. You cannot out run the radio and dash board cam. People......if you are doing something illegal you are going to get caught. Have some respect for those that are one the roadways. One day it may be you broken down and for some unforeseen reason walking down the shoulder in hopes to get help. The most common causes of vehicular accidents to date is texting or answering the phone. Pull over and pull off the roadways to answer the phone. If you cannot answer the question verbally, and texting is essential........then do it with caution.

Lawn Care Personnel are working............hold down the road rage..........pay attention to your surroundings and be a responsible citizen. I couldn't sleep at night knowing my cell phone caused the death of a person trying to feed their family.

after a guy was killed and drug awhile down the road when he was trying to pull his daughter out of a ditch who slid of the road while it was snowing they passed a law called Scott's law because of this accident, now if you dont get over for emergency workers, stalled cars w/e your subject to getting a fine, after working construction doing utility work I have a different perspective on this because Ive been there in the middle of downtown or the middle of I-55 not fun with cars zooming by just a little to close.