PDA

View Full Version : Webworms!

Florida Gardener
06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Man seems like all I'm seeing right now is sod webworms...anyone else?
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
my biggest problem lately seems to be more cottony scale than I can remember!

Florida Gardener
06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Yea, I'm noticing that too....also mealybugs on jatropha late spring has been the norm here the past few years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

Worm Web Worms are easy to control. Your Pesticide Guy is not doing his job if you see them.

Florida Gardener
06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Ric

I agree. The PCO hasn't been to the property since the most recent attack(this week). They are on an every other month program. All of the webworm activity popped up this week.

I still am amazed that I have NEVER had a chinch bug problem at any of my properties and guys are ALWAYS saying how they have so many problems with chinch. I control the irrigation and do the fert so I at least know that cultural practices are in check. Maybe the guys that are having problems aren't in control of those factors......

Ric
06-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Ric

I agree. The PCO hasn't been to the property since the most recent attack(this week). They are on an every other month program. All of the webworm activity popped up this week.

I still am amazed that I have NEVER had a chinch bug problem at any of my properties and guys are ALWAYS saying how they have so many problems with chinch. I control the irrigation and do the fert so I at least know that cultural practices are in check. Maybe the guys that are having problems aren't in control of those factors......

Chris

Heavy Rain or Over Watering can drown Chinch bugs and keep them in check. BTW we are in a Drought.

Florida Gardener
06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Hmmm didn't know that(overwater). Yea, we are desperate for rain down here, BIG TIME.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
06-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I sure would love to be in control of some of my customers water...no matter how many times I explain myself they can't figure it out....10 minutes a zone for rotary heads is not enough!!!!

Florida Gardener
06-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I sure would love to be in control of some of my customers water...no matter how many times I explain myself they can't figure it out....10 minutes a zone for rotary heads is not enough!!!!

Yea dude, rotor zones need at least 10-15 more than a pop up zone. I have some properties that have rotor zones and this drought is killing them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
In the average lawn, if the sprinkler system is was put in half way properly, rotors will need to run about 4 times longer to put down the same amount of water as a spray zone. Of course, it can be much more skewed than that if the installer cut corners.

Right now, as general rule of thumb, I tell people to run their rotors for 60 minutes twice a week. That will give them about .8 to .9" of precipitation. 15 minutes twice a week for sprays does about the same. That keeps most of them alive. Of course when it's 95F and arid, I bump the controllers to 120-130%.

Landscape Poet
06-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Seen them on three properties myself this past week. Are you able to call the pest control company and get them out there? I try to get clients to use a PCO that has unlimited service calls on their plan so I can call for them. Makes life easier when the lawn looks nice you know!:clapping:

Plantculture
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I am seeing them too quite abit also. Seem to bee more prevalent in shady areas of a yard. Look for the moths and you will soon find the worms. They are easier to control than cutworms that showed up a month ago.

jvanvliet
06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
In the average lawn, if the sprinkler system is was put in half way properly, rotors will need to run about 4 times longer to put down the same amount of water as a spray zone. Of course, it can be much more skewed than that if the installer cut corners.

Right now, as general rule of thumb, I tell people to run their rotors for 60 minutes twice a week. That will give them about .8 to .9" of precipitation. 15 minutes twice a week for sprays does about the same. That keeps most of them alive. Of course when it's 95F and arid, I bump the controllers to 120-130%.

That's right, the target precipitation rate down here zone 9/10 s/b about 1.25 - 1.5". Under current weather conditions, & assuming 3 glns on the rotators, 35' throw & full sun, puts me closer to 70-85 minutes. 2.5 glns on the mist heads 15' throw & full sun gets me to about 20-25 minutes; if my irrigation calculator is right, and it hasn't been wrong yet.

Properly installed system is key also, too many people mixing mist heads and rotators on the same zone, they need to be edumekated. $$$$$$ if you have your irritation license.

People running city water are going to pay out the ears. We'll be going to one day watering soon. I've got a 5 acre all turf buffer common area pulling water from the Lake Worth Water Districts canal. It's almost dry, the intake is on the bottom sucking water & crap... 2" less water and it'll cavitate and we'll have to turn the pump off. Start investing in turf :) Where can I buy St. Augustine futures.

Funny thing is I've had more problems with cinch than grubs, I haven't seen any grubs YET here in S. Palm Beach & N. Broward. Just a little stress on the turf though and the cinches are all over it. The chem guys must be going nucking futs.

Florida Gardener
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Seen them on three properties myself this past week. Are you able to call the pest control company and get them out there? I try to get clients to use a PCO that has unlimited service calls on their plan so I can call for them. Makes life easier when the lawn looks nice you know!:clapping:

Most of my properties have a spray company. Most are on an EOM plan so they get the free callbacks when needed. A few customers are on an on-call plan, but those properties rarely have any issues, the most common being winter weeds......

bugsNbows
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I've not seen any TSW here yet. We have, however, had both grass loopers and armyworms showing up.

Landscape Poet
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I've not seen any TSW here yet. We have, however, had both grass loopers .

they have been very active here for at least a month and half. Seem pretty dense in some areas.

Florida Gardener
06-16-2011, 10:45 PM
More webworms...it's the year of the webworm.
Posted via Mobile Device