PDA

View Full Version : switching from walkers to ztr?

kotajack
06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Sorry if this is long but I could use some real world opinions not dealer salesman stuff. I currently run 48" walkers with the large catcher, have been for 12+ years. Overall they seem to be the most versatile for catching clippings in my market. We made the switch to standers for a few years but they were worthless in the spring and fall, and if there was an excessive amount of clippings you would be dumping every row- Now all we run is walkers again.

Walker positives-
vac thatch in the spring awesome
3" cut quality is excellent, over 3" quality goes down a bit
vac light leaves in early fall excellent

ZTR questions- not partial to any brand yet
how well are they for thatch vacuming
quality of cut is super important, 99% collecting clippings
vacum light leaves
they seem super long with collection systems, do they feel like monsters compared to the walkers
the front tires seem huge, do they turf as easy as I think they will

Its time for new mowers, and I need a bigger cut than 48". I know walker makes the new 52", but I am thinking of going to a 60" style ztr. I am sure I have more questions but any info with these would be appreciated. These are all high quality thick turf areas. New mowers are big money and I am nervous about switching from walkers

ALC-GregH
06-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I've had zero issues with the Scag bagging system. You're in the north and Scag cuts northern grasses very well. My little buddy watching over my Scag. :D
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01560.jpg?t=1263940587

KS_Grasscutter
06-11-2011, 04:30 PM
The walker will fit through a bunch of gates anything else won't. I would run a 52 or 60 midmount and a 42 walker for gates.
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
06-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I guess in all my 19 years of business.................I never thought a Walker wasn't considered a ZTR.
IF a mower pivots on a circular mount it is a ZTR.

I run Exmarks and Walkers just for the reasons you stated above. No 1 machine is perfect for all grounds.

Sammy
06-12-2011, 05:27 AM
In all of my years, I thought that only Dixon could use "ZTR" as they hold the copy right/trade mark on it.

In 1973, Dixon purchased a unique, patented zero-turn transaxle which delivered independent drive power to the rear wheels for ultimate control. In 1974, Dixon ZTR® was born when the first model rolled off the assembly line.

kotajack
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Think Green;4060039]I guess in all my 19 years of business.................I never thought a Walker wasn't considered a ZTR.
IF a mower pivots on a circular mount it is a ZTR.

I realize that. I guess I always considered a walker in a class of its own and just called all others ztrs.

By class of its own I dont mean better just unique

If you run both what goes out on the trailers in the spring and fall. Do you bother bringing the exmarks? I am trying to streamline our mowers. In sheer grass cutting I can see the exmarks out producing the walkers. If I factor in what I am able to do with the walkers in the spring and fall will they outproduce the exmarks?

retrodog
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Most of the guys I know that have tasted Walkers keep one walker for banks and high end stuff, and run mid mounts for everything else. Nosparkplugs used to be on here, and he swore he ran the best combination on his rig, had a Walker for babying and had a 35hp 4 cylinder cat diesel 72" BB for sheer brute force, power, and production... I have one service here that runs one Walker, and he requested me to be a dealer for them. I just called a dealer in the Dallas area and priced the mower he was looking for a 48" with a gas motor was nearly $14000, and he said that was a deal, I just told him to go there and buy it, and I will help him work on it when it breaks, I don't have very many "high end" crews here, and the ones that are that type of service still take care of 5 to 10 acre doctor and rich people yards which would take forever on the walker, and look very nice with midders anyways....

knox gsl
06-13-2011, 11:23 PM
I think if you're bagging that much go with the Walker/Navigator style machines, maybe a 60" with a bagger or mulching system for larger areas. I can tell you this much a mid mount ZTR is much easier for me to operate and easier to teach someone else to run. As far as tearing turf a mid mount 60" machine will be harder on it.

clc19chase
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
been running an exmark 52" mulcher, 42 ghs walker and a 48" ghs walker for 8 years now. found this to be my best setup for my mix of yards. hard to put a 60" midmount on a garden home yard, but it can be done. and can probably be weedeated faster.