PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this base before?

xtreem3d
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnM1SkPRd2E

4 seasons lawn&land
06-11-2011, 06:23 PM
haha. That would be nice but I stoped at the part where he said georgia. You arent going to replace 5 inches of aggregate base in deep freeze zones.

edit- I went back and watched the rest. He never even says how the stuff works. Just how much it will save you.

knox gsl
06-11-2011, 06:38 PM
How well would this work in East TN where the hardest freezes rarely go deeper than 3 inches into the soil. I'm wanting to put a paver patio on top of a flat spot in my back yard that was excavated and used for an above ground pool by the previous owners. The area has a heavily compacted clay base with 2 inches of sand on top. Looking at the video for this and knowing how well red clay compacts would it work well with removing the sand and adding 3 inches of crusher run base, sand, and then the panels?

4 seasons lawn&land
06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I dont understand the point of the panels to start with. Their own video didnt even explain the point. I would skip the panels in any event unless Im missing something but it seemed like a gimmick.

As for your project, IDK what the construction standards are down south but clay doesnt drain so you dont want to have that in mind but I would imagine 3ish inches would be sufficient in such a moderate climate. Someone here from your area will know anyway.

knox gsl
06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah just looked up the cost of the mats, rock is much cheaper, this stuff is $18.99/6squarefoot panel. I would already have to have rock hauled in for a thin base, so I might as well get a few more inches and not fool with the plastic panels. I can see how this could be a good thing for a DIY homeowner, that doesn't want to use equipment or move dirt by hand. I'm also have a feeling I could get it cheaper through a supply house but not so sure about it if pros turn their nose up at it.

xtreem3d
06-12-2011, 06:31 AM
I dont understand the point of the panels to start with. Their own video didnt even explain the point. I would skip the panels in any event unless Im missing something but it seemed like a gimmick.

As for your project, IDK what the construction standards are down south but clay doesnt drain so you dont want to have that in mind but I would imagine 3ish inches would be sufficient in such a moderate climate. Someone here from your area will know anyway.

i thought the same thing,