PDA

View Full Version : JD Z925A 60" Demo unit----Way under powered!

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
This thing cuts absolutely awesome! BUT it is WAYYYYYYY under powered! I mean way way under powered. It was struggling to come up this hill in my back yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050836-1.jpg

That picture was cut with my Gravely 160Z with 25hp kohler and that hill barely phases my mower. This Z925A on the other hand wants to come to a stop mid way up the same hill and I was barely cutting anything off because I just cut it this past tuesday. If it was super deep like it was all spring Im not sure this Z925A would be able to cut it with out going at a snails pace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050875.jpg

weeze
06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
if you wanna go with a 60" deck i would step up to the z930a at least...it has the 29hp kawi

i have the z920a with 54" deck and it has 26hp...not underpowered at all on mine...i think with the 60" deck the 27hp on the z925a might be a little underpowered....a z925a with a 54" would be fine.

Cooter
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
How many hours on demo? I agree you need at least a 930 or 950 for the 60" deck. It feels like the hydros on these really suck the power. It would be better to back the top speed off to 10 or 11 mph and have more torque. Lets hear some more of your thoughts compared to the Gravely.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a new Z720A with the 25 HP Kohler and 60" deck, and that hill would be nothing for it. I have one very similar in my back yard, and I have a nice thick yard like the one in the pic. It doesn't change sound or speed whatsoever, and cuts it like it's nothing.

I am always suprised at the comments on here about mowers being underpowered, especially when someone asks if a 24 Kawi will be a big enough engine for a 52" deck.

Good freakin greif! I may only be a part time LCO, but I have been doing it for a very long time, and cut lots of different properties with varying types of turf.

I have yet to find one I can't cut cleanly and with beautiful stripes with my 21 year old John Deere garden tractor with a 46" deck and a 14 HP Kawi, let alone a dedicated ZTR mower.

How many hours are on that Deere? Maybe it stil needs to get broken in a bit yet.

SouthSide Cutter
06-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I have a new Z720A with the 25 HP Kohler and 60" deck, and that hill would be nothing for it. I have one very similar in my back yard, and I have a nice thick yard like the one in the pic. It doesn't change sound or speed whatsoever, and cuts it like it's nothing.

I am always suprised at the comments on here about mowers being underpowered, especially when someone asks if a 24 Kawi will be a big enough engine for a 52" deck.

Good freakin greif! I may only be a part time LCO, but I have been doing it for a very long time, and cut lots of different properties with varying types of turf.

I have yet to find one I can't cut cleanly and with beautiful stripes with my 21 year old John Deere garden tractor with a 46" deck and a 14 HP Kawi, let alone a dedicated ZTR mower.

How many hours are on that Deere? Maybe it stil needs to get broken in a bit yet.

What you dont understand is how much power the pps take. I used to mow with a old Cub Cadet with a 10hp motor. But it was a gear trans. I going to demo a 930 Monday or Tuesday with a 60 Mod deck. I thought he said it had a 30 Kaw on it.
I have two Scags both with 61 decks. One is a 25 Kohler TC and the other is a 29DFI Kaw 61 TT. I can kill the 25 and bog the 29 in some places.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
No, I get it regarding the Hydros. Like I said, I have been doing this a long time, even if only part time, with a lot of different tractors before the ZTR's. I have owned a couple a of JD 445's with 22HP LC EFI engines, and 60" decks. They ate anything for breakfast- long, short, thick, or thin, and they'll go 8.5 MPH. My 4110 with a 21 hp diesel and 60" deck would do it even better, and my 4115 better still. My JD GX335 w/54" would too, so I just don't get it when guys are worried about being under powered. These are all hydros.
BTW, I still use that 21 year old JD, and it runs the powered bagger just fine in all the thick leaves I have in the fall.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 09:48 PM
How many hours on demo? I agree you need at least a 930 or 950 for the 60" deck. It feels like the hydros on these really suck the power. It would be better to back the top speed off to 10 or 11 mph and have more torque. Lets hear some more of your thoughts compared to the Gravely.

When I picked it up it had 16.7 hours. I agree it is the hydros that drain most of the power. I was kind of shocked with the way it bogged down to be honest. With my Gravely only having 25hp and being a beast I figured this 27hp would just plow through anything. Im not sure it makes sense to switch to JD and have to get a huge fuel sucking engine when other mowers can do the same with smaller more fuel efficient engines.

To compare it to my gravely I will need a few days to get a feel for it. I have it all week so later this week I will compare them. So far I can say it cuts just as good and I LOVE the seat. It does seem to ride kind of firm and I attribute that to the flat free front tires. The sticks are very stiff and I am not sure I like that yet or not. I do like the easy height adjustment. Im not sure I like the idea of this machine being 1400 pounds compared to my 1000 pound gravely. I am 260 so this machine is only 340 pounds shy of 1 full ton which is crazy for a mower like this.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Ahhh ha! I just looked and the Z720A has 10cc pumps and wheel motors! That is what my Gravely has and that is why yours does not bog at all. THAT might be my next mower! I prefer the kohler over the kawi and I like the 10cc setup better to reduce power draw. HMMMMMM I might have to see if they have a 720A for me to demo next.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Check the position of the stick mounting bolts. They are 3 position adjustable on the 900 series, 2 on the 700's. Maybe you can make it a bit lighter to the touch.

Also, the 700's have gear reduction in the hydros like the 900's and they do seem to have lots of torque. I like the fact that they are enclosed units too.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
No, I get it regarding the Hydros. Like I said, I have been doing this a long time, even if only part time, with a lot of different tractors before the ZTR's. I have owned a couple a of JD 445's with 22HP LC EFI engines, and 60" decks. They ate anything for breakfast- long, short, thick, or thin, and they'll go 8.5 MPH. My 4110 with a 21 hp diesel and 60" deck would do it even better, and my 4115 better still. My JD GX335 w/54" would too, so I just don't get it when guys are worried about being under powered. These are all hydros.
BTW, I still use that 21 year old JD, and it runs the powered bagger just fine in all the thick leaves I have in the fall.

HUGE power draw difference between 13cc pumps and motors and 10cc pumps and motors. Honest to god the engine bogged down to at least half speed coming up that small hill in my own back yard. I just might take a video of it to show everybody some time this week before I return the mower.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Check the position of the stick mounting bolts. They are 3 position adjustable on the 900 series, 2 on the 700's. Maybe you can make it a bit lighter to the touch.

Also, the 700's have gear reduction in the hydros like the 900's and they do seem to have lots of torque. I like the fact that they are enclosed units too.

Thanks I will take a look at that tomorrow. They are very smooth but very stiff right now. I would like it a little lighter I think.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
HUGE power draw difference between 13cc pumps and motors and 10cc pumps and motors. Honest to god the engine bogged down to at least half speed coming up that small hill in my own back yard. I just might take a video of it to show everybody some time this week before I return the mower.

Hey, you have me thinking now, and that never turns out well:laugh:

I never thought about the power draw difference between the two pumps sizes. I was under the impression that they went to the 13cc pumps to increase wheel power and smoothness over the 10cc pumps they had used on the 800 series (which were totally different from the Kanzaki pump/motor units they use now). I have always had great success with anything made by Kanzaki as long as it was in the heavy duty department and not some home owner machine.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Also, the 700's have slightly smaller wheel/tire combos, and I'm sure that was done in an effort to help with wheel pump efficiency.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey, you have me thinking now, and that never turns out well:laugh:

I never thought about the power draw difference between the two pumps sizes. I was under the impression that they went to the 13cc pumps to increase wheel power and smoothness over the 10cc pumps they had used on the 800 series (which were totally different from the Kanzaki pump/motor units they use now). I have always had great success with anything made by Kanzaki as long as it was in the heavy duty department and not some home owner machine.

Yeah we had a cub cadet Tank M48 which is 48" that had 25hp kawi and 13cc pumps and motors and that mower did great until you got it on a steep hill. It would bog bad on any steep hill and obviously 25hp should never bog on a 48" mower. Heck out old 48" lazer in my sig has a 18hp kohler and small wheel motors and pumps and that little 18hp kohler never bogs.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
If you go to Deere's site, there is a place there where you can compare the differences betwen the 700 and 900 mowers.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/ztraks/compare/index.html

It isn't all that much. Nicer seat as std on the 900 (option on the 700, but you need to ask for it), different wheel pumps as you know, different wheels sizes as I mentioned, and the cast iron rear bumper as std on the 900, and also the diagnostic mode on the 900 (which I am not sure how useful that really is over the 700's). I know that so far, I am very happy with mine, and the cut is as good as it gets at any speed at which I have cut with it.

The frames are the samematerials/dimensions. The gas tank is 7 gal on the 700 vs 12 on the 900.
You may find it to be really to your liking. Who knows?

magilla12
06-11-2011, 10:57 PM
My 925A with 54" MOD has plenty of power.

SouthSide Cutter
06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
The pp size is just like the rear end gear ratio if you dont change the mtr size. The higher the gear the less it will tow. Higher being 3.03, 3.47 and lower being 4.10 - 4.56. The big pps will get you speed but you need alot of hp to turn them. I also had 318, 445, and 445 JD and they had plenty of power. But they did not run the speed my TT does.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Day 1 so far so good. I like how far the 7iron throws out the grass. Possibly the best dispersion I have ever seen. I might have said it before but I love this seat! Seems to handle hills well. Leaves stripes so deep it looks like it was painted on the lawn. I will give my final thoughts at the end of the week.

SouthSide Cutter
06-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Day 1 so far so good. I like how far the 7iron throws out the grass. Possibly the best dispersion I have ever seen. I might have said it before but I love this seat! Seems to handle hills well. Leaves stripes so deep it looks like it was painted on the lawn. I will give my final thoughts at the end of the week.

The 930 I run today compared to my TT seemed to fan the grass more evenly but not as far out. Cuts the big blades just like the velocity in tall grass. I am 59 and I could not run that mower or any mower without a supension seat. I thought the seat and ride sucked where I was mowing today and I wasnt running to fast either. Thought my kidneys was going to fall out. Dealer also told me he doesnt know why they dont put the supension seat on as standard.

Razorblades
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
The 930 I run today compared to my TT seemed to fan the grass more evenly but not as far out. Cuts the big blades just like the velocity in tall grass. I am 59 and I could not run that mower or any mower without a supension seat. I thought the seat and ride sucked where I was mowing today and I wasnt running to fast either. Thought my kidneys was going to fall out. Dealer also told me he doesnt know why they dont put the supension seat on as standard.

So how does the cut quality compare between the two, in your opinion?

SouthSide Cutter
06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
So how does the cut quality compare between the two, in your opinion?

If I would have had my wife or grandson make two passes one with the Scag and the other with the 930 I dont think you could tell which one was which they were that close. Blowout with the 930 with the Mod closed was about like the TT with the plate closed. The Mod was not as big as mess on mulch as the TT with the plate closed but you still would have to run over it again because of windrow left on chute side.

Cooter
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I've ran the two side by side. Both cut well. In thick lush spring grass the Scag had trouble leaving a clean cut. The Deere left a clean cut w no straglers every time.
Posted via Mobile Device

trook
06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
My 60" 925a seems to have plenty of power. You may want to consider having JD find out what is wrong.