PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Tiger project (pics)

wvaughn7
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Well we recently purchased a 72" Turf Tiger from the city that was used by some park employees to mow the park. It is a 2005 with a 29 horse DFI Kawasaki liquid cooled engine. It has the 830 hours, and s 72 inch Advantage deck. As many would expect it wasn't treated all that well. The maintenance was performed though, because the park director was in charge of that, and he has to use his budgeted money to buy the mowers. For this fact we decided we would possibly be able to buy it cheap and have a cosmetically horrendous mower that was still in good shape mechanically. At this point we threw in a lowball bid so that if we won it was a great deal, but if we did't we wouldn't be disappointed. Long story short no one else puts in a bid and we get it. :clapping: Since then we have completely restored it so to speak. We stripped thw whole mower down to nothing but an engine and frame. From there we sanded and painted most everything, unless it was in good condition already. Mechanically all we had to do was put new bearings in the spindles, get a leak in the radiator fixed, reweld the seat frame where a guy had broke it off while using it, and weld somewhere around 20 cracks in the deck. Here are some of the before pics.

wvaughn7
06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
After the before mentioned improvements here is how everything came out.

ProStreetCamaro
06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Great job! What I want to know is how in the #@%^#$& does somebody tear up a deck like that?

GMLC
06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Nice work! It is really amazing how much abuse a Scag can take. I can't even imagine what those city workers did to that mower...
Posted via Mobile Device

wvaughn7
06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I really have no idea, that was the exact same thing we were thinking. Best we could figure is that he was full speed and caught the corner of the deck on a stump or curb.

eco.lawns
06-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow that was beat to hell for an 05. Good work It looks great. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it and how much do you have in it?

STIHL GUY
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
looks brand new after all that work you did to it

grassman177
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
simply fantastic. very nicely done and basically a new mower for you. the hours are low really for that mower as long as the engine was maintained well.

wvaughn7
06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
We bid $4100 on it which I believe was a steal. We had a $40 dollar radiator repair, 4 cans of Scag Cats Eye Gold spray paint at a painful $16.50 a can for a total of $66, $65 for a new deck belt, $5 for two new dust caps for the castor arms, $98 for 6 new spindle bearings, and probably $25 in weld wire, gas for the welder and torches, and cut off wheels etc... Overall we are figuring we are $4400 or so. What would you all think it is worth now?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Did you price new decals? Just curious how much they cost.

Patriot Services
06-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Great job! What I want to know is how in the #@%^#$& does somebody tear up a deck like that?

County employee.:usflag:

wvaughn7
06-12-2011, 10:38 AM
We did look them up and I found them to be very reasonable. The tiger stripes on the genders were only $7 per side and the rest of the decals ranged from $3 to around $12. None of these seemed too bad to me, but most were in good enough shape not to worry about them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoy landscaping
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
can you do mine next?

ed2hess
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice job we paid $7500 I think for a two year old one this past winter with about 250 hours.

Ijustwantausername
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Wow you did an awesome job! I would call you to fix my mower any day!

wvaughn7
06-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Send the mower with a $500 check and I'll get started on it haha. Ed what engine and deck did your mower have?
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
We did look them up and I found them to be very reasonable. The tiger stripes on the genders were only $7 per side and the rest of the decals ranged from $3 to around $12. None of these seemed too bad to me, but most were in good enough shape not to worry about them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks. Yes the decals look good on your mower.

The oldest TT I have with 1900 hrs I was thinking I would just sell it like it is. If I can do a face lift on it that cheap it might be worth it for better resell. It is very scratched up due to employee use, but luckily no crash up derby action on the deck like yours. You did a wonderful job with the mower restoring it, and on price. It will serve you well. :)

ALC-GregH
06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
What would you all think it is worth now?
I'd give you 3k for it. :)

wvaughn7
06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks. Yes the decals look good on your mower.

The oldest TT I have with 1900 hrs I was thinking I would just sell it like it is. If I can do a face lift on it that cheap it might be worth it for better resell. It is very scratched up due to employee use, but luckily no crash up derby action on the deck like yours. You did a wonderful job with the mower restoring it, and on price. It will serve you well. :)

It was fairly cheap for all parts considering they were straight from the Scag dealer. Our dealer treated us like we had bought 100k worth of stuf from him, even though we have always used another dealer in town up to this point. Do not let them sell you original parts if there are things that can be bought aftermarket. One example was the deck bearings. For the Scag original the bearings listed at a whopping $63 a piece. I can buy a new spindle for less than that. Instead of trying to rip me off he set me up with some aftermarket ones for 14 and change a piece. The decals however were much cheaper online. In the dealer they were about twice the price.

I'd give you 3k for it. :)

:hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: I bet so.

THEGOLDPRO
06-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Time for new blades.

wvaughn7
06-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Time for new blades.

Yes, the blades are shot. One was bent, (imagine that right?) and they are all extremely worn and chunked up. This mower is technically only on mowing duties at the house to fine tune some things for now. If we decide to keep it it will have a new set first thing before it hits a single yard, but for now it cuts fine with a good sharpening.

THEGOLDPRO
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
The deck wasn't bent up? I would imagine with a beating like it took it would cut alittle un-even.

wvaughn7
06-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Believe it or not it cuts great. Now the deck wasn't level, but it wasn't because it was bent they just hadn't checked pitch or side to side height probably ever. The front was 3/4" higher and the right side of the deck was 1 1/4" higher than the left.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow, that thing looked like it had more like 3000 hours on it. Looks good now though.

tuffram
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
wvaughn7

I am in the process of trying to do the same thing as you. The city has a 2005 turf tiger 61'' 27 hp Kawasaki that needs a new engine. I just wonder how much I could sell it for after I do a complete restoration like you did on this one and install a new Kawasaki 27hp liquid cooled engine. Any ideas on a price? Your mower looks awesome.

wvaughn7
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
If the rest of the mower is in good condition I would say you would come out alright. How many hours are on the other components? I know a lot of people will not buy a mower with 3000 hours even with a brand new engine just for the fact that the hydros and other parts are in possible le jeopardy of breaking down which could cost thousands to repair depending on how much went wrong. Now the advantage you have is that it is a 61" deck. Many more people have a use for a 61 than they do for a 72. With this being said I would definately want to keep the total cost under 4500 or so depending on the hours on the machine. Make sure also that you keep reciepts for things like the engine and any other major parts to have proof, just do not let them know the little touch up type things.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
If the rest of the mower is in good condition I would say you would come out alright. How many hours are on the other components? I know a lot of people will not buy a mower with 3000 hours even with a brand new engine just for the fact that the hydros and other parts are in possible le jeopardy of breaking down which could cost thousands to repair depending on how much went wrong. Now the advantage you have is that it is a 61" deck. Many more people have a use for a 61 than they do for a 72. With this being said I would definately want to keep the total cost under 4500 or so depending on the hours on the machine. Make sure also that you keep reciepts for things like the engine and any other major parts to have proof, just do not let them know the little touch up type things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok here is what I know when I talked to the city shop Forman he walked out to the mower to see how many hours were showing on it. He said it did not have an hour meter installed on. I thought this was somewhat odd so I got on the scag website looked up the manuals for this mower. I could not find a listing for an hour meter. It has 2 gauges on it 1 is for water temp and 2 is for voltage from alt anyone else have this experience on a 2005 turf tiger. I asked about the records service he pulled the mower up in the system and told me the following it had oil changed, air filter changed, fuel filter changed and everything greased every 90 days. It got hydraulic service every 120 days.

tuffram
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Ok he found the hour meter it is on the backside of engine compartment below the exhaust pipe but its digital and the battery is dead so I am SOL on knowing how many hours it has on it. What should I do?

wvaughn7
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Even with the battery dead it should remember the hours once a new one is put on. Throw a charger to it and the meter should come to life. If it didn't have this feature the hours would reset every time you changed batteries.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
06-13-2011, 06:54 PM
very nice work...looks like a brand new mower.

tuffram
06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Even with the battery dead it should remember the hours once a new one is put on. Throw a charger to it and the meter should come to life. If it didn't have this feature the hours would reset every time you changed batteries.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I got out bid by $400 I put a max bid of $1600 and it sold for $2000 to me that I way too much money because it needs a new 27HP Kawasaki engine and I donít know what else it has a unknown amount of hours on it. $1600 was all I was willing to risk. I think your $4500 total investment was dead on the money but I needed to have at least $600 in case it needed more than just an engine replaced.

wvaughn7
06-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Too bad on that one man it would be a fun project if it was anything like ours was. We just had an offer of $6,500 on it so it will only be ours until Thursday. Hate to see it go so quick, but hoping we can find a 61" this time. If anyone near us has a 54 to 61 zero turn around east Tennessee let me know we may be interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
So you cleared $2100 on selling it. How much time did you have into tearing it all down and repainting it?

I wouldn't spend $6500 on a 6yr old machine when a new one isn't much more. It is crazy how the used market is. I have seen 04 tiger cubs sell for $4500 today which were sold new for $6000 back in 04. Why anybody would pay that is beyond me.
Posted via Mobile Device

wvaughn7
06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
We finished every thing in one week. Now this wasn't a pure week of work. We still had out whole mowing route to do, but my dad was on vacation and put quite a bit of work in on it. I would say there is a total of 50 man hours and this was casual working with the three of us messing around in the garage. Personally we figured it would bring 6k, but an extra 500 is a nice little bonus.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
$40/hr isn't bad I guess if that is the real time you had into it. I just would never pay that much on the mower, I would buy new at that point. Now if I owned a 2005 mower since new and refurbish it to use in the field it could be worth it.

wvaughn7
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
We may have a little more time but definitely not over 60. I completely understand about buying it though. We just priced a new 61" with the 31 HP kawisaki and it was 10,800 plus tax. For that price and a warranty I would go with that. Now for 4k or so I would consider it.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
06-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I bought a new tt w/35hp briggs and 61" deck for $9300 out the door. Compared to the $6500 you got for sale it is a really good deal to buy new.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
So you cleared $2100 on selling it. How much time did you have into tearing it all down and repainting it?

I wouldn't spend $6500 on a 6yr old machine when a new one isn't much more. It is crazy how the used market is. I have seen 04 tiger cubs sell for $4500 today which were sold new for $6000 back in 04. Why anybody would pay that is beyond me.
Posted via Mobile Device

A new Scag Turf Tiger 61'' cut with a liquid cooled Kawasaki is over $13,000 here so $6500 for a 05 that is restored to new condition is a good price. His is a 72" and probably had the 29HP DFI Liquid cooled engine on it here it would be over $14,000. if you can buy a new turf tiger for not much more than $6500 you should buy all of them you can get your hands on you could make some serious money yourself.

tuffram
06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I bought a new tt w/35hp briggs and 61" deck for $9300 out the door. Compared to the $6500 you got for sale it is a really good deal to buy new.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are comparing apples to oranges. A Brigs to a Kawasaki there is no comparison.

djagusch
06-15-2011, 11:13 PM
You are comparing apples to oranges. A Brigs to a Kawasaki there is no comparison.

The 29 dfi kawi was 11000 otd. To compare the two, same top speed, same deck, same mower, briggs has more torque, kawi gets .5gph in savings. Depending on hrs per year it takes to get the fuel savings to offset. My 27hp kawi same block as the 29dfi got 2000 hrs before it started eating oil so I don't see longivity in a lc engine. An ac engine has a different sound to it which might be a negative.

It would take me 2.5 yrs to make the fuel savings pay for the kawi engine. At that point a replacement engine is coming soon where the kawi cost more to replace again. If a guy is putting on 1000 hrs a yr or more then the kawi makes more sense.
Posted via Mobile Device

lorenzo
08-12-2012, 01:17 PM
looking for repair manual for scag model STC48a-20CV any suggestions where to find one?

StanWilhite
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Looks good!
It makes me feel good to see a machine that has had a rough life be brought back to good condition. Maybe the new owner will treat it a lot better!
Stan