PDA

View Full Version : EcoLawn & Landscaping.....first year pics

eco.lawns
06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Let me know what you guys think! any words of wisdom is much appreciated. What do you think about my set up so far?

A little bit about my Company
-first year in business
-set up as an LLC

A little bit about me
-21 years old
-usually work solo
-finishing up last year of college
-excited to be on my own in the business

eco.lawns
06-11-2011, 07:55 PM
here are a few more pics! I will take more pics of a few of my accounts this week

STIHL GUY
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
you have a lot of nice equipment especially for somebody just starting out. keep up the good work

eco.lawns
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an enclosed trailer? I dont know if I need a 14 v-nose or 16ft. 7ft wide is preferable. I was looking at the homesteader lineup. Anyone have a review they can do on a homesteader trailer?

Chevy z71
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Nice set up.

THEGOLDPRO
06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Looking good man.

MJS
06-12-2011, 02:06 AM
I had an Interstate enclosed for several years - would highly recommend getting the heaviest-duty axles you can get, regardless of brand. Always get bigger than you think you need, 9 times out of 10 you will wish you had the extra space a year later.

Looks good man, keep up the good work.

eco.lawns
06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep posting pictures as I take them this week.

MJS: Thats a good point because I wish I had gotten my utility with 5200# axles instead of 3500#. I bought it used so I went with the best deal.

GardnerLawn
06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
If you keep the blue trailer i would def recommend painting it black. If you go with an inclosed trailer def atleast 16ft if not 20 prob not v nose i would go flat and put shelfs in the front of it.

eco.lawns
06-15-2011, 01:22 AM
GardnerLawn: I currently have an f150 and pulling a 20 foot enclosed may be a little too heavy full loaded. I have seen guys put shelves in the front of a vnose but I guess it would limit how much you can put on them. Does the blue really look that bad? I know it doesnt go with the red truck.

MJS
06-15-2011, 02:13 AM
I pulled a 16 footer fully loaded with a silverado 1500, handled it fine. V8, 350. Just an fyi.

The blue looks fine, precious few people are going to care about the color of your trailer. If you are not keeping it forever then it's not a big deal anyway.

GardnerLawn
06-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Well I'm saying maybe 20ft for the future eventually you will need the space and you will get a bigger truck too. I'm saying to paint your trailer just as a small thing to make you look more professional. It's not a biggie but your Image is everything in this business just passing on helpful hints.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravyTrain
06-15-2011, 09:10 AM
I pull a 7' x 16' Interstate LoadRunner enclosed trailer with my 95 GMC Sierra 1500 (v8, 350 as well). Granted, I get about 8 miles to the gallon on a good day, but I've never been in a position where I couldn't get somewhere. I run a VERY tight route, no more than 2 miles in any direction, and never get above 50 or 55. Someone with a longer route, higher speeds might have a different experience with that type of truck/trailer combo.

bobcat48
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Very nice equipment.

eco.lawns
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I see what your saying about image and I agree. I usually wear moisture wick polos with my company embroidered on them when I work because I think that they are more professional looking than the cut off tshirts. I am looking into getting an f250 with the 6.2L so I am going to wait until I upgrade my truck to get a new trailer. But that will not be until next year because I do not want to take on too much debt right now. I dont see any point in buying a trailer I will soon grow out of. Part of why I want to get a bigger truck is so that I can do snow removal as well. I know I can get a plow for my truck but I would be limited to resi and small comm lots..

GardnerLawn
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Well im glad your thinking ahead and def try not to get in much debit in this business. It is hard to get out if your not careful. You seem to be doing fairly well. Keep it up. What do you use the tractor for? How long have you been in business? Is it just you?

Don Zerby
06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Ecolawn!

Those are some great pictures and congratulations on your 1st year. It's a tough business and you deserve credit for your efforts and persistence.

My company 'Ecolawn' incorporated in Ohio many years ago and the name and logo is copyrighted and trademarked. Have you set up a corporation yet? Where is Springboro? I'm in Cleveland so I think we're fine. Give me a call if you want at 440-953-9100.

Thank you!

Don

eco.lawns
06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
GardnerLawn: I use the tracter for things like moving top soil, digging to install drainage pipes, ect. This is my first year on my own. I worked for other companies the past four years and got sick of working my butt off and not making as much as I wanted.

Don Zerby: I am set up as a single member LLC as "EcoLawn & landscaping, LLC". I am in springboro which is 30 mins south of dayton and about an hour north of cincinnati. I don't think we will have any issues. The name came back as available in the ohio database. PM me if you want to talk about it in more detail.

eco.lawns
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Here are a few more pics! I broke down and bought a new backpack blower.

Don Zerby
06-17-2011, 06:42 PM
GardnerLawn: I use the tracter for things like moving top soil, digging to install drainage pipes, ect. This is my first year on my own. I worked for other companies the past four years and got sick of working my butt off and not making as much as I wanted.

Don Zerby: I am set up as a single member LLC as "EcoLawn & landscaping, LLC". I am in springboro which is 30 mins south of dayton and about an hour north of cincinnati. I don't think we will have any issues. The name came back as available in the ohio database. PM me if you want to talk about it in more detail.

Ok - That sounds great!

GardnerLawn
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
what do you think about the new stihl blower? what did you have before this one? i am about to switch brands of trimmers and blowers to either redmax or stihl, still undecided and need some feedback. anyone else please jump in on this too.

thelawnman
06-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Good choose on the blower. I love my Br 600 thing is GREAT.

Chevy z71
06-20-2011, 09:06 AM
what do you think about the new stihl blower? what did you have before this one? i am about to switch brands of trimmers and blowers to either redmax or stihl, still undecided and need some feedback. anyone else please jump in on this too.

The weedeatters you got now are good.

GardnerLawn
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
kitts i have liked my kaw trimmers im assuming you like yours too. Ive been having too many problems with mine lately. They were perfect for the first year no problems. Great power, not too heavy, and very quiet. The 2nd year tore up heads, shooting gas out of the muffler, gas caps screwed up and leaking, had the shaft break on one of them, missing, not running right, no power. They still run but for me there no good after a year. With that much money i need something that will last 3 seasons with little trouble. You know something reliable enough for 2 seasons with no problems and by the 3rd id move them to a backup or put alil money in them. Have you had any problems? How long have you ran yours?

eco.lawns
06-21-2011, 11:42 PM

I have only run it for about a week now but I can say that it has way more power than the BR380 I was using. The straps on it are very cushy and comfortable. The power difference between it and a 500 series is hardly noticeable but when you spend that much on a blower you might as well get the best they offer.

eco.lawns
06-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Ok it was time to step up to a bigger truck since I plan on plowing and getting bigger trailers. I found this 2008 chevy 2500HD with 10K miles. It has the plow prep package and the options I wanted but its not totally loaded out. This is the 6.0L version.

Chevy z71
06-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh ya:gmctruck: chevy power

bobcat48
06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Congarts,very nice truck!

Capemay Eagle
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Ok it was time to step up to a bigger truck since I plan on plowing and getting bigger trailers. I found this 2008 chevy 2500HD with 10K miles. It has the plow prep package and the options I wanted but its not totally loaded out. This is the 6.0L version. Nice tires on the truck, what kind are they? My truck came with the Pirelli Scorpions and I don't like them! Been thinking about new tires, kinda sucks cause I only have 10K on the truck.

eco.lawns
06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Those are bfg all terrains. This is the first truck ive had with them and they seem to do well in dry and wet conditions. I cant say how well they do in snow yet. The wheels are american racing outlaw 2's i believe. They were already on the truck when I bought it. Ive almost got all the equipment I would like for now. Next on the list is plow & salt spreader. Recomendations for a plow on this truck? It has the heavy duty front end so weight wont be such an issue
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy z71
06-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Westren plow and salter or a snow ex salter

bobcat48
06-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Boss or western and snow ex or western for the spreader.

eco.lawns
06-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Im talking to a guy about buying his BOSS 8.2 V with wings. He bought it new in 2010 and its in good shape. Does anyone know about what its worth?
Posted via Mobile Device

eco.lawns
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Its been awhile since I updated this thread. I dont have any new pictures to post yet but I will as the season gets started. Last year my only leads came from word of mouth. This year I am launching a web campaign to get my name out on the internet. I have a website in the works but im also utilizing linkedin, twitter, angies list, craigslist, and thumbtack. I might try facebook again but I didnt get much activity on it last year. What have been your experiences with facebook? Do you post coupons to gain interest? I dont have the money to do a direct mailing and with .5-1% return I dont have much interest in it either. I have high hopes for my business this year! Cant wait for spring!

KE-llc
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I'd buy a dump trailer before an enclosed if I were you.

Posted via Mobile Device

eco.lawns
02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I struggle with the dump vs. enclosed decision all the time. They are about the same money but I can see the dump saving me so much time and possibly even making money from hauling ect. The Problem is that I don't have a shop and my trailer doesn't fit in the garage. The HOA of my neighborhood is being a real pita about having trailers outside so if I had an enclosed I could secure all of my equipment inside of it and park it in a fenced in rv storage place that is close by.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-29-2012, 01:27 AM
With the word 'eco' in your name, i was thinking it was going to be an all battery and electric powered setup. How are you making things more efficent, like the name calls for. Nothing worse than business, not following there name

Im just giving you a hard time, equipment looks good. What do you use the small loader for? Im in the market for one a bit bigger than that. I couldnt justify spending 10k on a 20hp loader though. Can it really dig into the ground at all?

eco.lawns
02-29-2012, 07:34 AM
The kubota is actually my dads. The back hoe digs great but the bucket is only for scooping(no teeth). I use it to haul mulch, move wood, dig holes for tree installs, ect. As for the name I am currently a paperless company. I use an ipad in the field to eliminate paper waste and also email invoices. Last year I had a grand Idea of running LP mowers but the price of those are ridiculous. I do try to cut waste wherever I can.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
The kubota is actually my dads. The back hoe digs great but the bucket is only for scooping(no teeth). I use it to haul mulch, move wood, dig holes for tree installs, ect. As for the name I am currently a paperless company. I use an ipad in the field to eliminate paper waste and also email invoices. Last year I had a grand Idea of running LP mowers but the price of those are ridiculous. I do try to cut waste wherever I can.

Gotcha,

With regards to the tractor. since i am really in the market right now. What size do you think would be benifical for preparing sod, loading dump trucks with soil, and plowing snow(drives and long walkways). Do you think a 35hp machine would work? I am debating between a 45-55hp skid(used) or a 35-40 hp jd tractor brand new either the 3000 or 4000 series e hydro machines. I feel i could use the JD on almost every landscape install and it would eliminate having to rent a dingo on jobs where we cant use large equipment(turf preservation, which pretty much means the if i finance it it would be saving money). Tractors with turf tires can really go anywhere as they only weight about 3k lbs. The skid i am looking at weighs in at about 5500 lbs and im sure its more vertisile, but it has a huge footpath and i dont want to deal with 10 sheets of plywood for each job, as well as turning will tear turf so easily. (time is money)

For hardscaping i was thinking that the skid would be much better so i can move pallets and such, but if i got a 4000 series, id have to just one or two rows off to have the loader lift it, or get a 3 pt hitch pallet forks and they would lift 2500 lbs fine.

The problem with the 3000 series is it only lifts about 1500 lbs. Thats not enough to lift any pallet of material .

I can get the 3020(i think thats the model) with a loader and a back blade for 16000 at my dealer. Or 0 down, 0% for 60 months. (pretty much free money) IT would make the payment 270 per month. Which is like nothing if im going to be using it as much as i plan too.

Give me your 2 cents

eco.lawns
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Gotcha,

With regards to the tractor. since i am really in the market right now. What size do you think would be benifical for preparing sod, loading dump trucks with soil, and plowing snow(drives and long walkways). Do you think a 35hp machine would work? I am debating between a 45-55hp skid(used) or a 35-40 hp jd tractor brand new either the 3000 or 4000 series e hydro machines. I feel i could use the JD on almost every landscape install and it would eliminate having to rent a dingo on jobs where we cant use large equipment(turf preservation, which pretty much means the if i finance it it would be saving money). Tractors with turf tires can really go anywhere as they only weight about 3k lbs. The skid i am looking at weighs in at about 5500 lbs and im sure its more vertisile, but it has a huge footpath and i dont want to deal with 10 sheets of plywood for each job, as well as turning will tear turf so easily. (time is money)

For hardscaping i was thinking that the skid would be much better so i can move pallets and such, but if i got a 4000 series, id have to just one or two rows off to have the loader lift it, or get a 3 pt hitch pallet forks and they would lift 2500 lbs fine.

The problem with the 3000 series is it only lifts about 1500 lbs. Thats not enough to lift any pallet of material .

I can get the 3020(i think thats the model) with a loader and a back blade for 16000 at my dealer. Or 0 down, 0% for 60 months. (pretty much free money) IT would make the payment 270 per month. Which is like nothing if im going to be using it as much as i plan too.

Give me your 2 cents

I would think the 4000 series would serve you well. "mine" is way too small but its free for me so I don't complain. 1500# lift capacity on the 3000 series is just way too little for what you plan on doing. On the other hand who doesnt need a skid? those are just bada$$...

orlawncaresvc
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice equipment. But get rid of that residential 21 inch Toro:waving:

eco.lawns
02-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Nice equipment. But get rid of that residential 21 inch Toro:waving:

I agree its a turd, but i only use it on 1 account (mowing a median) so I cant justify spending $1200 on a new commercial 21 but it would be nice :hammerhead:

ohiogreenworks
03-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Good looking stuff, good luck this year!

eco.lawns
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Good looking stuff, good luck this year!

You too! Do you ride at Mad river Mtn? I couldve swore I saw you or maybe its one of your guys out there. I used to work for 5 points and I had seen you guys at swartz.

ohiogreenworks
03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
You too! Do you ride at Mad river Mtn? I couldve swore I saw you or maybe its one of your guys out there. I used to work for 5 points and I had seen you guys at swartz.

Yeah, I ride up there, or well at least this year, tried to ride up there! They had decent conditions for no snow, I only went 7 or 8 times tho. Maybe next year we'll get some snow and we could go ride and have a couple cold ones!

eco.lawns
03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Ya this years conditions sucked. I think I spent more time drinking in the lodge than riding:drinkup:

eco.lawns
03-08-2012, 12:00 AM
My website is up but not completely finished. Let me know your thoughts. www.ecolawnohio.com

orlawncaresvc
03-08-2012, 12:09 AM
That is some nice equipment for being your first year. I wish we had equipment like that when we first started.
Posted via Mobile Device