PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 757

tacovic
06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Im going to look at a 2008 54" JD 757 with a 23 hp kawasaki with 400 hours tomorrow. Its got the 7 iron deck. Anything I should be looking for? This will be my main mower so I need a reliable machine with a nice cut. Whats everyones opinion on this mower?

lawnsrme
06-11-2011, 11:05 PM
We have a 757 and a 737. 757 has a 25 hp and the 737 has a 23 hp. I like the machines but they had overheating issues. Both of ours had a screen put in to keep debris from getting into the airflow chambers in the heads. I'm not a mechanic or anything just what i was told. our 737 had a new motor at about 700 hrs and now has around 1400 hrs and the 757 had some head work done around 800 hrs and now has around 1600 hrs. Everything was covered under warranty. I try to keep everything blown out good because of the overheating. Havent had any problems so for. I put in synthetic oil 15w50 after the warranty was up. The one is starting to leak oil pretty good. Other than that not bad.

Had problems with the one of the wheel motors and the pump on the 737. was under warranty. no problems with the 757, all original. Over all I like the mowers. Keep the oil and filters changed and keep everything greased good and it'll probably be a good mower for you.

tacovic
06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
We have a 757 and a 737. 757 has a 25 hp and the 737 has a 23 hp. I like the machines but they had overheating issues. Both of ours had a screen put in to keep debris from getting into the airflow chambers in the heads. I'm not a mechanic or anything just what i was told. our 737 had a new motor at about 700 hrs and now has around 1400 hrs and the 757 had some head work done around 800 hrs and now has around 1600 hrs. Everything was covered under warranty. I try to keep everything blown out good because of the overheating. Havent had any problems so for. I put in synthetic oil 15w50 after the warranty was up. The one is starting to leak oil pretty good. Other than that not bad.

Had problems with the one of the wheel motors and the pump on the 737. was under warranty. no problems with the 757, all original. Over all I like the mowers. Keep the oil and filters changed and keep everything greased good and it'll probably be a good mower for you.

Thanks alot for the reply. How do you think these machines compare to others such as exmark/toro or scag? Do you think they are an equally solid machine? Was the 23 hp motor underpowered?

momstmg
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes they are underpowered for hills, thick, or higher than normal grass. I had two 7 series(23 hp and 25 hp models). Great cutting machines just need a little more power. I have a z950 with 31 hp Now and It doesn't bog at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

rreyn1812
06-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Lost a Z737 motor due to the previous owner not having the engine shroud removed and cleaning the fins. Found that out the hard way. Traded it in on a Z830 (which I still have). The 737 (or a 757) is a good mower, but make sure the fins have been cleaned before buying or you may be in for engine troubles. The first indications are a loss of power.

tacovic
06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Lost a Z737 motor due to the previous owner not having the engine shroud removed and cleaning the fins. Found that out the hard way. Traded it in on a Z830 (which I still have). The 737 (or a 757) is a good mower, but make sure the fins have been cleaned before buying or you may be in for engine troubles. The first indications are a loss of power.

Good to know. Do you think a 23 hp kawi would be underpowered for this machine in a 54" deck?

QualityLawnCare4u
06-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I lost the engine on mine at around 700 well maintained hours( the overheating issue) and no warranty. You could not give me another 737/757. Now the two 717's Ive owned have been bullet proof!

tacovic
06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I lost the engine on mine at around 700 well maintained hours( the overheating issue) and no warranty. You could not give me another 737/757. Now the two 717's Ive owned have been bullet proof!

Hmmm. Hes got a 540a as well. I figured the 757 would be a better machine. Whats the difference between the 757 and 717?

QualityLawnCare4u
06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
The 737 had the engine cooling fan facing under the back of the seat and it sucked in LOTS of dust and debri from this design without the cooling screen installed. The 717 faces up and does not have this issue. Im no mechanic just explaining it best I can from common sense. My deere dealer had the 737/757's lined up in a row with the same problem and all had 800 or less hours on them.

The 727 is also a good mower with a 23kaw engine. Also the 717 has a 19kaw which with the 48" deck has very adaquate power even running a mulch kit year round.

momstmg
06-12-2011, 09:22 PM
My decks were 54" decks and yes it will still be underpowered.
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityLawnCare4u
06-12-2011, 09:37 PM
My 737 when was running right, with a 60" deck and mulching kit had plenty of power even in thick wet grass, burmuda, st augustine or bahie. Some of you folks must be mowing yards tall as corn:laugh: Also where I live it is flat and level, very few hill so I can't say how it would do on them.

orourke15
06-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a 737 with the 23 horse kawasaki. I'm picking it up tomorrow from the dealer after having the crank case gasket replaced. As soon as it started warming up outside it started leaking. Only 237 hours. Would recommend looking elsewhere for a different mower. Can't get the 54'' 7 Iron deck to cut as nice as a scag velocity deck with the same brand of Gator blades on both mowers. If you mow for a living look elsewhere.

tacovic
06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
hmmm. Im not quite sure what to think about this. I always thought the JDs were good machines. Are you able to do anything about the cooling issue? If you put a screen on there does it run fine?

rreyn1812
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Good to know. Do you think a 23 hp kawi would be underpowered for this machine in a 54" deck?

We have lots of hills here in central Arkansas, and the ground is generally rougher than a cob in many places, and I did not find it to have any power issues. It would bog just a little when I hit extremely thick grass, but I've found most mowers in the 23-27 hp range do the same. I had the 54" deck on the 737 and a 54" on my 830 (27 hp) and they both left a very nice cut and don't have any problem climbing hills and cutting thick grass at the same time. Both mowers have a factory maintenance recommendation of cleaning under the shroud every 100 hrs. I have the dealer perform all maintenance and make sure they clean the fins on the engine every 100 hrs just to be sure. Don't want to lose another $3000 engine because of not doing relatively inexpensive maintenance. I have read many threads on Lawnsite where guys talk about power issues on many different manufacturers mowers. And many others both agree and disagree. I would try to get the mower and try it under the conditions I would be using it under and see for yourself. That's the only way you can be sure!

tacovic
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
We have lots of hills here in central Arkansas, and the ground is generally rougher than a cob in many places, and I did not find it to have any power issues. It would bog just a little when I hit extremely thick grass, but I've found most mowers in the 23-27 hp range do the same. I had the 54" deck on the 737 and a 54" on my 830 (27 hp) and they both left a very nice cut and don't have any problem climbing hills and cutting thick grass at the same time. Both mowers have a factory maintenance recommendation of cleaning under the shroud every 100 hrs. I have the dealer perform all maintenance and make sure they clean the fins on the engine every 100 hrs just to be sure. Don't want to lose another $3000 engine because of not doing relatively inexpensive maintenance. I have read many threads on Lawnsite where guys talk about power issues on many different manufacturers mowers. And many others both agree and disagree. I would try to get the mower and try it under the conditions I would be using it under and see for yourself. That's the only way you can be sure!

Are you happy with the machines? It seems like I am getting conflicting reviews. A buddy of mine uses them at work and says they are a great machine. They have lots of hours on them too.

momstmg
06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Test a z900 series and you won't go back
Posted via Mobile Device

tacovic
06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Test a z900 series and you won't go back
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont have that kind of money to spend. Ive got about 7 grand to spend including a bagging system.

rreyn1812
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes, I was very happy with the 737 before the engine went (that was predictable & I should have had it checked out with a good mechanic before I bought it) and I'm also happy with the Z830 too! I also have heard a lot of guys complain about the 800 series JD ZTR, and they have had some problems, but I never really had any major issues and any problems have been quickly remedied by my dealer!! It's a very tough mower, and has handled anything I've thrown at it without any problems. I see a lot of commercial rigs around here with a 737, 757, and 777 JD mowers on them and I don't see a lot of them at the dealer waiting for repair. My 830 has around 480 hrs on it in 2.5 years and the engine is running smooth and stong and leaves a very nice cut. On this mower, I switched to 10W30 Mobil 1 synthetic and make sure all maintenance is done by the book. I expect it to last a very long time. Of course, with anything mechanical, there can be problems at anytime. If I was going to buy a used mower, I would definitely get it checked out by a competent mechanic before I purchased! If the seller is sure of his mower, then he won't mind having it checked out.

Ridin' Green
06-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I dont have that kind of money to spend. Ive got about 7 grand to spend including a bagging system.

If that's the ball park amount you have to drop, take a serious look at the Z720A. I have one that's about a month and a half old, and so far I am very happy with it. 25 HP Kohler/60" 7 Iron II deck. Same frame as the 900's have. There was a discussion between myself and Pro Street Camaro going in this thread about it that had some interesting points brought up, as well as a link to Deere's site comparing the 700's and 900's-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353843

LawnCareNoobie
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Own a 757 here getting close to 1600 hours. Still has the original engine and runs great. Just keep debris clean so it can get proper air flow. JD isn't the only mower with this kind of design using horizontal engines. Had to keep an eye on crap building up behind seat/engine area on Exmarks with a similar design. Whether or not they had heating issues I'm not sure of.

Compared to the 23 hp vertical engines on my 727's the 25 hp engine on the 757 has way more power. I don't know what it is but it's crazy different for only 2 more hp in my opinion. Maybe other people's mowers are different or have lemon engines, beats me.

JD should of just made some improvements to the 700 series it was already a pretty good mower. Could of made it even better.

Can't stand the hydro steering on 800 series mowers. I won't buy one personally.

Haven't used a 900 series but hearing good things. Will likely be purchasing one when the time comes. Should of made a smaller frame for 48/54 in decks and offered more engine options such as Kohler or Vanguard. Even horizontal and liquid cooled options and a smaller diesel mower other than the 997 would be a seller too. Wish JD kept making the 700 series mowers with improvements and added 900 series to it.