PDA

View Full Version : Got Scrubed on my own turf today!

ranger520
10-16-2002, 04:58 AM
I was in my driveway getting things ready to do some jobs tomarow when a ford ranger with a lawnboy 21" and a crapsman handheld blower pull up two doors down from my house and start cutting a nieghbors lawn. The guy had no trimmer and took him about 1 1/2 hours to do 12000ft2 of grass. You could just tell that it was a $20.00 special. How can one compete with this? he looked retired. Just had to vent.

Tony Harrell
10-16-2002, 07:01 AM
You can't compete with that. Don't even try. Quality customers want quality cuts and service. You won't see many like that at a really nice home. Even the people that have used them get tired of them not showing up, cutting poorly etc... Just do your own thing and compete with US. Quality+service are your goals.

HOMER
10-16-2002, 08:34 AM
You don't want to mow your neighbors lawn anyway..........get away from the "hood" to do your work.

ProMo
10-16-2002, 08:46 AM
the scrub in my neihborhood finally got a truck after about 6 years of walking his 21" gotta be kind of proud of him, he used to work for a 12 pack now he dresses in clean clothes and smiles once in a while he must have raised his rates

65hoss
10-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
You don't want to mow your neighbors lawn anyway..........get away from the "hood" to do your work.

Homer is correct.

Hey Homer, where ya been?

ranger520
10-16-2002, 09:41 AM
I only take care of one customer in my hood, but it is still tough when you are loading your equiptment and some $20.00 special pulls up. I usually only do nieghbors when they are out of town and such. They will automatically call on me. I do use my closest nieghbors lawn for equiptment tests sometimes as he had irigation and I can always get a good test.

SLS
10-16-2002, 09:58 AM
I do not think that the Cadillac dealership is worrying about what the Yugo dealership down the street is doing. ;)

The only way to compete with a Yugo dealer is to become a Yugo dealer.

Brickman
10-16-2002, 10:59 AM
SLS is right.

Once I got to the place that I had more work than I could handle these types no longer bothered me. I had to wonder why the owner did not take enough pride in their prop to ask for a good job to be done. But we have all seen some home ownered @#%* that you would look at and go WTF? So if they will do it them selves that way, you know they will never care if another guy does it too.

Gravely_Man
10-16-2002, 01:17 PM
I agree with Homer 100%. Keep home and work totally separate. If you don't I could only imagine the calls can you just come over and get these few leaves that have fallen as we are having company tonight. Too much of a risk.

Gravely_Man

bobbygedd
10-16-2002, 02:23 PM
on sunday, i watched out the window as the guy across the street attempted to cut his lawn. grass was high, he had the push mower on the lowest setting(duh) and it kept jamming up and stalling. all of a sudden, he throws the mower, and i see him heading across to my house. i thought he was gonna ask to borrow a cutter or trimmer, but, worse, he says id like to be on your schedule. i explain to him that it is not a good idea for either of us to do business, if things dont work out, its very awkward living across from eachother, and our kids play together. well, i think i made a mistake, i started doing his yard this week. we shall see....

ranger520
10-16-2002, 02:37 PM
I guess I should say that my nieghbors money is just as good as anyone elses. This is a nieghborhood of $225 to $300 homes with 15000ft2 yards. There are single gals living in these nieghborhoods that do not know a thing about doing there own lawns. These people make good fillins as well, usually do these types of jobs when I have an opening they are not scheduled.

HOMER
10-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Them's some cheap houses cuzz!:D

Reckon they can pay for your services?

Runner
10-16-2002, 10:04 PM
I do 3 houses right across from my folks' house (where the business is based out of) two houses down is hired out to another company, next door down from that, there is this old guy that has a couple of old Toro wb's. I don't know how much work he actually has, but he pulls them out of there once in a while. I helped him fix a switch on one of them earlier this year, after he stopped me at one of my jobs and asked me about it the day before. Now, further down from HIM, next door to him, aNOTHER company mows, and also mows the two lawns across the street from that. Now, my folks property runs that entire length on this side of the road, then there is my aunt's house that is next door to the two houses that are across that are done by this other co. (Two Scag Ztr's) They hack them though. Cut way too low. The other lco that cuts right across, well, he has a Lazer, and he basically, well, let's just say you'd never guess it was cut with a Lazer. No lines. No stripes. No nothing. Just circles or something, I guess. No clue. Now, there is 4 residents that I could be doing, basically connected to our prop.. Why don't I do these ones? Because they don't pay! I gave all of them estimates some time ago, but it just wasn't worth me doing these. No biggy. I have 22 more in the subdivision right across the street. ;)

greenman
10-16-2002, 10:17 PM
My next door neighbor has a LCO cut his lawn. (He doesn't care what it looks like, he just wants it cut, I told him I dont do work like that). Theres a different LCO that does my neighbors directly across from me.

They really get irritated when I sit outside on the porch and watch them:D

ranger520
10-17-2002, 03:29 AM
Well Homer,

They seem to have the $180 a month to pay me to cut trim and blow. I do not know where you are from, but the average home value in my area is $160k so $300k is a fairly large home. Most people in my nieghborhood are in the $90k to $130K Bracket for wages so we live very comfortably around here. It is not uncommon for people to have summer homes up north as they would say around here, therefor having someone do your lawn so you have time to go to the lake is very important.

Barkleymut
10-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Ranger, I believe Homer was saying that $225 to $300 is cheap for a house because you failed to add the K behind the numbers. My shed cost 3 times that.

In most places a $250+K home is considered decent sized.

ranger520
10-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Hahahahaha. I htought there had to some kind of confusion. Thanks for clarifing.

greenman
10-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Always gotta be a comedian and a straight talker in the bunch:D :rolleyes:

Swampbeast
10-18-2002, 12:42 AM
All the houses in my neighborhood are $200K-$2,000,000, (Daddy has padded pockets!) with lawns with landscaping on them that cost in the millions as well. One guy spent $4 mill on his yard to have it landscaped! This guy obviously has WAY to much money, I could help him with that..... I only have four lawns in my own neighborhood, because the LCO's had this place staked out a LONG time ago, the market here in Houston is fierce. :blob2: