PDA

View Full Version : Rates for residential mowing--19 yrs old, hrc216-fs85-bg55. Weekly cuts

sache
06-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Hey fellas, I'm 19 and have been doing lawns since I was eight or nine. This year, I started getting serious with my lawn maintenance business as university study ends early april, and I have the rest of the season in Canada to work untill september. I wanted to get some opinions from you professionals and other guys like me, to see what you think of my rates and how they compare to yours. My quality of workmanship is equivalent to or better than the large companies who have 60+ residential clients... In case you are wondering, I run around in a 1991 reg cab s10, with wodden railings on the side for packing all the grass. I use a 21' honda hrc216, stihl fs85 and a stihl bg55 blower. All my properties, I mow (including bagging the grass) edge horizontally and vertically and blow the concrete and walkways free of clippings. No I am not insured, and no I currently do not collect sales tax. I am doing this to make money for school and to save $ up over time for when fly the nest. All my lawns I maintain are nice properties, as I have only given estimates to those who water and maintain their yard frequently. In turn this results in is less wear and tear on my equipment, saving me from the homeowners who want there **** lawn mowed twice ever month or lawns that are infested with weeds, or littered with rocks, branches and other depris. Here is my schedule and prices, let me know what you think.

Weeklys

Thursdays:

A) Neighbour #1: $35 a cut (45 min)
B) Neighbour #2: $35 a cut (45 min)
C) $35 (50 min)
D) $40 (1 hour)
E) $40 (55 min)

Fridays:

A) $40 (1 hour)
B) $45 (1:15)
C) $45 (1:30)
D) Next door to client C $55 (1:45)
E) $35 (40 min)

10 Days

A) $40 (1:10)
B) $40 (55 min)
D) $30 (35 min)
E) Next door to client D $35 (40-45min)

2 weeks

A) Sloped boulevard weed eating job $50 (1:40)

Thanks, Look forward to hearing your comments.

:canadaflag: Go Canucks Go!

Golfpro21
06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
all your profits could be gone if you make a mistake or crap just happens like a rock thru a window etc....and if you don't have insurance your screwed.

As for not collecting and paying taxes......well that's just illegal........your gonna have all kinds of people on here jump all over you for this one.

In regards to your rates...cannot say good or bad, as I don't know your expenses, don't know what the properties look like.

Your rates do seem all over the map....you make $35 for 445 minute jobs but then only $55 for 1hour & 45 minutes

hope it all works out for you....do yourself a favour though and atleast get a quote on some liability insurance...its not that expensive and you can even use it to sell jobs...."oh buy the way Sir/Maam, I am a fully insured company"

TuffWork
06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm probably gonna take some heat for this:

You are a college student. If you aren't planning on making it any bigger any time soon don't bother with taxes and insurance. If you grow much beyond what you are doing now you could be in serious trouble if you don't, though. That being said. Although your pricing is a little all over the place it is probably right if not on the high side since the people your mowing know your "just the kid down the street" anyhow.

Stick with it. Save some money. Finish school. GO GET A REAL JOB!

sache
06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, what I meant by taxes is that since I don't make more than $30,000 annually, here in British Columbia Canada I am not required to collect tax from customers. I do pay income tax, however, so I am breaking no rules here. I was just saying that I do not collect tax to show that those prices are tax free. Insurance, on the other hand is something that I am looking into, as I am aware of the serious consequences that can occur when working without it. Currently I am in school and am on my way to med school, so yes, this is just a way for me to pay my way throughout school. At this time, I do not consider this a lifetime career choice. I am not just some "kid down the street" either, all my customers were obtained with ads in which I designed and payed for, in addition to customers acquired by drive by traffic noticing my quality of workmanship. In response to golfpro and tuffwork, I am aware that my prices are somewhat inconsistent. When I first started out I didn't know that other people were being charged more than 45-50$ a visit even for lawns that take around an hour and a half or more with a 21'. My bottom line for all lawns is $30 and I go up accordingly as the lawn size increases. My bottom line is consistent or a couple dollars lower than most professionals. I just wanted to get a general idea of what you guys charge for lawns in comparison to mine. My work pace is brisk and I don't waste time on the job; however I don't sacrifice quality of work for speed. What would be most helpful, is perhaps if I could get rates on lawns at the pace at which you normally work. Ie, if you take 1h with a 21', vertical and horizontal edging, and blow off, how much would you charge (same with 30min, 45min 1h 15 etc). I am aware that pricing is difficult to judge because all lawns are different (hills, obstacles, amount of edging etc.) but jobs are priced for the time it takes, not on the size of the property and grass to be cut. If you guys could give me a general idea of rates and prices that you charge that would be a great help and it would be much appreciated. And TuffWork, you can make good money in the lawn maintenance business, much more than similar professions that require equal knowledge and experience. I work 2 days a week and make more money than any of my friends with "REAL JOBS"!

Merkava_4
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Rates for residential mowing--19 yrs old, HRC216 + FS85 + BG55. Weekly cuts

Corrected it for you until you get your shift key fixed. :D

sache
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input, lawl.

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I work 2 days a week and make more money than any of my friends with "REAL JOBS"!

So from my quick math I am seeing around $2200 gross sales/month?? Is that really enough to afford med school? I hope your still looking for more clients to add to your route.

Definitely need the insurance, I thought about going without it before I started but in talking with others if you have one issue it will have paid for itself.

Golfpro21
06-14-2011, 07:34 AM
if a property took us 1.5 hours to complete, we would need to charge a minimum of $150 plus HST.........but we run a 52" and a 36" machines so a property to take 1.5 hours would be a big one

tuffram
06-14-2011, 09:06 AM
One thing that all of us here in the U.S. are forgetting $40 Canadian is like $25 American!!!

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
One thing that all of us here in the U.S. are forgetting $40 Canadian is like $25 American!!!

What are you smokin?? The canadian dollar is par or better!

Also this means at $150/hour and a half your hourly rate is $100?? Or two guys at $50/hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
What are you smokin?? The canadian dollar is par or better!

Also this means at $150/hour and a half your hourly rate is $100?? Or two guys at $50/hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me rephrase the post I am not talking about currency $$$$. I am talking about the pricing of stuff Canada to U.S. almost everything in Canada is higher than in the U.S. Was talking to a guy in Manitoba about a Honda push mower that he paid over $1000 Canadian for the same mower can be bought here for $699. Therefore, his price for a $40 yard would be a $25 yard here in the U.S. due to the extreme prices in Canada.

Darryl G
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
It seems to me that your pricing is too consistent relative to the variability in the time it takes you to mow some of your lawns. You've got a $40 lawn that takes an hour and a $45 one that takes 1.5 hours. So your extra time is only worth $5? The problem with a 21 inch mower is that it's hard to be competitive on the larger lawns. Stick to the smaller ones rather than working for next to nothing or pick up a 36 incher or something.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey fellas, I'm 19 and have been doing lawns since I was eight or nine. This year, I started getting serious with my lawn maintenance business as university study ends early april, and I have the rest of the season in Canada to work untill september. I wanted to get some opinions from you professionals and other guys like me, to see what you think of my rates and how they compare to yours. My quality of workmanship is equivalent to or better than the large companies who have 60+ residential clients... In case you are wondering, I run around in a 1991 reg cab s10, with wodden railings on the side for packing all the grass. I use a 21' honda hrc216, stihl fs85 and a stihl bg55 blower. All my properties, I mow (including bagging the grass) edge horizontally and vertically and blow the concrete and walkways free of clippings. No I am not insured, and no I currently do not collect sales tax. I am doing this to make money for school and to save $ up over time for when fly the nest. All my lawns I maintain are nice properties, as I have only given estimates to those who water and maintain their yard frequently. In turn this results in is less wear and tear on my equipment, saving me from the homeowners who want there **** lawn mowed twice ever month or lawns that are infested with weeds, or littered with rocks, branches and other depris. Here is my schedule and prices, let me know what you think.

Weeklys

Thursdays:

A) Neighbour #1: $35 a cut (45 min)
B) Neighbour #2: $35 a cut (45 min)
C) $35 (50 min)
D) $40 (1 hour)
E) $40 (55 min)

Fridays:

A) $40 (1 hour)
B) $45 (1:15)
D) Next door to client C $55 (1:45)
E) $35 (40 min)

10 Days

A) $40 (1:10)
B) $40 (55 min)
D) $30 (35 min)
E) Next door to client D $35 (40-45min)

2 weeks

A) Sloped boulevard weed eating job $50 (1:40)

Thanks, Look forward to hearing your comments.

:canadaflag: Go Canucks Go!

The gov'ment takes plenty of money so "free money" is a good thing in life. Amounts you charge that are different than others...we all do that. It's what the customer can pay that counts. At the end of the day, how much did you take in as opposed to pay out is all that matters. I've got a $40 weed only lot that takes me 15 minutes, easy pick'ins, and another $40 yard that takes 25 minutes with drive time. No problem with either. The no insurance thing is understandable since you don't bring in a lot of money overall. Guys on this site will tell you to go out and pay hundreds for insurance, but really now...did you add up this guy's total take? I carry insurance but I run 58 properties a week and am exposed, unlike you. It's a risk no doubt, but one I would do. If you could get it dirt cheap, tell us all, otherwise...keep on cutt'in.

sache
06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
It seems to me that your pricing is too consistent relative to the variability in the time it takes you to mow some of your lawns. You've got a $40 lawn that takes an hour and a $45 one that takes 1.5 hours. So your extra time is only worth $5? The problem with a 21 inch mower is that it's hard to be competitive on the larger lawns. Stick to the smaller ones rather than working for next to nothing or pick up a 36 incher or something.

Thanks guys for the input. Yes it is difficult to judge prices for me because some properties that I am doing should really be done with a ride on or large wb. I just took the jobs because I'd rather spend an hour and a half and make 50 than pump gas and only make 15. It is also hard to judge how much I should increase the charge, from the $30 dollars that is my bottom line per cut. Once I increase my cliental list, I will most likely drop the larger properties and stick to the smaller ones where I can be more efficient. I am pricing most lawns that take an hour at $40 and ones under an hour for $35. As I am new to the business, what would be, or what is your charge increases.

Darryl G
06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Well, my situation isn't all that different. My lawns start at $40 and some of them are pretty small and could easily be done using a 21 inch mower. And I have some pretty good sized lawns of 3/4 to 1 acre that are in the $50 to $60 range but they're pretty flat wide open lawns. I can be making $80+ per hour on the smaller lawns but only $50 to $60/hr on the bigger ones. But add in the spring and fall cleanups and the hedge/shrub trimming and maybe some mulching and it adds up to a good amount. For me mowing is just a "foot in the door" on some accounts. The extras on the big lawns are what I make the money on and big lawns usually need lots of extras.