PDA

View Full Version : Edging flower beds

blk90s13
06-12-2011, 09:37 AM
What do you use for lets say 6 ft circle diameter shrub beds ? I have almost 30 to do and was thinking its its too much to do by my self and a spade ?

I never used a bed edger before

White Gardens
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
If they are already established beds then a bed-edger is going to be ideal.

If they are new beds in the sod, then you'll be better off just using a shovel to get rid of the sod and cut the edge.

blk90s13
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
If they are already established beds then a bed-edger is going to be ideal.

If they are new beds in the sod, then you'll be better off just using a shovel to get rid of the sod and cut the edge.

beds are there I am re edging everything does a bed edger swivel ? I thought it can only do a straight line ?

I need to go in circles pretty much

dgw
06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
beds are there I am re edging everything does a bed edger swivel ? I thought it can only do a straight line ?

I need to go in circles pretty much

you can go in circles with a bed edger, the blade is curved

Will P.C.
06-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Personally, I would break down and buy a bed edger. Echo makes a really nice stick bed edger that works very well.

I see this as an easy potential upsell for clients in the future. Not many guys offer this or carry this tool around on a daily basis. We also know the neglected beds tend to look like crap after a few years.

I have had my beds at my house for 5 years. (house was built 5 years ago)
I spend time to edge, roundup, shovel, etc. and they could use a good edging from a dedicated machine

JDiepstra
06-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you need the Echo bed redefiner. $600 usually. Works like a charm on an existing bed.

vencops
06-12-2011, 02:07 PM
We also know the neglected beds tend to look like crap after a few years.

I have a lot of this (above) on one of my properties.

Will the Echo work on these? I have no experience with the Echo OR the dedicated bed edger (ex - Brown). But, the Echo "seems" ill-equipped for re-establishing a very clean edge on neglected beds.

Am I wrong?

JDiepstra
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a lot of this (above) on one of my properties.

Will the Echo work on these? I have no experience with the Echo OR the dedicated bed edger (ex - Brown). But, the Echo "seems" ill-equipped for re-establishing a very clean edge on neglected beds.

Am I wrong?

I once acquired a new mowing customer where the customer kept the old company to do the bush trimming and bed mulching and maintenance for the first two years. They did not cut a new edge in the bed, which was a few hundred feet long, on the second year that I mowed there. On the third year there, I took over all of the lawn and landscape work. The bed had not been edged in two years by the old company. I got it looking great in about 15 minutes or less using the Echo.

vencops
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
15 minutes or less for hundreds of feet?

How many hundreds?

Got any photos?

blk90s13
06-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I would love to buy one but that will leave me with $50 in my pocket from that job and I dont get much edging jobs just yet to justify buying one.

Its on my things to buy now :D

Will try to see if someone rents it out around me

mower 2000
06-12-2011, 11:01 PM
How much do those Echo bed trimmers cost?? I do a fair amount of edging and have been doing it all by hand. - Thanks

blk90s13
06-12-2011, 11:15 PM
$599 list price

lukemelo216
06-12-2011, 11:43 PM
look at it this way. The echo re-definer is exactly what it is. Its a re-definer. Its ment to be used on bed edges that are already existing. So like after your spring cleanup maybe 1 or 2x's throughout the summer you retouch up the edges.

A bed edger is ment for new edges, re-edging neglected beds etc.

Every spring cleanup gets new edges with a bed edger. Regardless if the edges are already perfect or there is none. Its just our procedure. We also use the bed edger on new landscape projects. Even after we use the edger we still use the spade to cleanup the edges. Then usually just before we mulch we will use the re-definer just to touch them up a little (unless we mulch when we do the initial edging). Then usually 2x's throughout the year we will use the redefiner and touch up the beds by raking the mulch back, redefining, and then raking it back in.

thats just us. Yes the redefiner will put a decent maybe 2" new edge on a bed. But when you are remulching with 2inches, that really leaves you no edge (generally you dont put 2 inches in the edge it self but still). All of our new edges are 4" deep. that allows us to put a good amount of mulch in the beds and the edges and still leave a nicely defined edge.