PDA

View Full Version : help with ztr purchase

rcg4tigers
06-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm about to purchase my first ztr. I have three yards to cut, 3/4 acre , 1 acre and one 3-5 acres with hills and terraces. I have been looking at a few mowers and these are what I have come down to.
I'm trying to only spend around $5000.
Gravely HD w/52" cut ($4899) and Exmark pioneer e-series 52($5400). They both seem close to the same except the gravely has the zt-3100 transmission while the e series has the zt 2800. The other one I like is the exmark pioneer s series 48" cut. It looks like the best but it is $6500 out the door with a free generator. I would appreciate any information.

rwaters
06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm about to purchase my first ztr. I have three yards to cut, 3/4 acre , 1 acre and one 3-5 acres with hills and terraces. I have been looking at a few mowers and these are what I have come down to.
Gravely HD w/52" cut ($4899) and Exmark pioneer e-series 52($5400). They both seem close to the same except the gravely has the zt-3100 transmission while the e series has the zt 2800. The other one I like is the exmark pioneer s series 48" cut. It looks like the best but it is $6500 out the door with a free generator. I would appreciate any information.

Other brands you might look at are the Bobcat Fastcat and the Hustler FasTrak as well as the Bad Boy ZT

The differences in the 2 transmissions is the 2800 has plastic gears the 3100 has metal.

rcg4tigers
06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info on the transmission. I don't have a local bobcat dealer but have emailed them for some information about a fastcat. I went to the hustler dealer and he kept trying to push the sport on me, was not interested in the sport didn't see any other mowers. Local Dealer with bad boys was not impressed with them liked the gravely better, but have contacted another dealer for information.

Skidpad
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
^^^^ there's quite a bit of information on all of these mowers in the Homeowner section, with pictures. Since you are looking at Bobcats, I just bought a Fastcat Pro 52", 25hp...love it so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
06-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info on the transmission. I don't have a local bobcat dealer but have emailed them for some information about a fastcat. I went to the hustler dealer and he kept trying to push the sport on me, was not interested in the sport didn't see any other mowers. Local Dealer with bad boys was not impressed with them liked the gravely better, but have contacted another dealer for information.

I personally do not like the Badboy ZT either just wanted to list all of your options. I think the Badboy ZT has too narrow of a frame to carry a 60" deck without scalping. But I am a dealer that carries Hustler and Bobcat, I did not want to just push you at one of my brands and sound like a company man. Besides you might disagree with me and like a unit I do not, and I do not think the bad boy is junk.

topsites
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Give me the money and I'll take care of it for you.

tuffram
06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
rcg4tigers

I am assuming you went to Gasden Turf & Tractor to look at the Hustler. I went to them last year when I was looking to buy my ZTR. They did the same thing to me tried to convince me on a ztr I did not like. They would not help me get the one I wanted. At this point, I had narrowed my decision down to the hustler or the Kubota zg222 I wound up going Kubota because the hustler dealer was not helpful, they are 35 miles away from me my Kubota dealer is only 5 miles from home, and they are the #1 Kubota dealer in Alabama.

ommegang
06-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I mow 4 properties with a little more acrerage than you. I purchased a new IS1500Z 52" Ferris in 2007 for $7000 otd. Probably overkill for my need buying new unless you take advantage of 0 financing for 3 years on just about all ZTRs at present. For me, 52" is good. Look on cragslist for something with a couple hundred hours at most if you have cash. Or, ebay lets you find rock bottom dealers too. At least lets you know how much your dealer is marking up. Exmark and Scag seem to be the most expensive. As well as Wright.

SLMGT
06-13-2011, 07:00 PM
If you're mowing as a business, give thought to future work as well. I really don't think the non commercial mowers are a good deal. I recommend spending the extra money up front so you don't end up replacing in a couple of years.

T1M
06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Other brands you might look at are the Bobcat Fastcat and the Hustler FasTrak as well as the Bad Boy ZT

The differences in the 2 transmissions is the 2800 has plastic gears the 3100 has metal.

The 2800's do not have any plastic gears. They have a combination of steel and sintered metal gears. The sintered metal is only used on the gears with lower tooth loading where they hold up just fine. The 3100's are all steel gears.

Ridin' Green
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
The 2800's do not have any plastic gears. They have a combination of steel and sintered metal gears. The sintered metal is only used on the gears with lower tooth loading where they hold up just fine. The 3100's are all steel gears.

Thanks for posting this info. I sure can't see how plastic gears would hold up for long (in a transmission) under even mild homeowner use, when used in the way, and under the conditions that ZTR's are used.

Ridin' Green
06-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Take a look at the JD Z710A for about $6600-$6800 OTD. They have a 23 HP Kohler Command Pro engine, and on the 710 you can choose between the 48", and the 54" 7 Iron II decks, and you won't find a better cutting deck.

I bought a Z720A a few months ago with the 25 hp Kohler, and 60" deck, and so far I love it. It is what Deere calls a commercial mower for part timers, though I see nothing about it so far that would make me feel uncomfortable using it full time.

I test drove several Exmarks, and a few others all around the price range of the one I bought, and nothing was even close to the build, solid feel, and smoothness of the steering of the 720, so I bought it. I already knew about the deck, so that was no suprise.

There are several different manufacturers that make entry level commercial mowers for about the same price. I would look long and hard at one of these before buying a non commercial mower. Buy right the first time, and forget about having to renew in a few years as someone else pointed out.:)

Aaronnc
06-21-2011, 06:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scag-Tiger-Cat-Mower-48-Deck-Kawasaki-22-hp-38-hrs_W0QQitemZ110704335381QQcategoryZ50377QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAPPER-PRO-S150-25-HP-KAWASAKI-52-INCH-DECK-/310214074809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a3321b9