PDA

View Full Version : New Customer Story- Just Had to Post

4 seasons lawn&land
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
So last week I have this long message on my machine from this women, landscape designer of 31 years that just needs a small job done for now but has alot of potential for refferalls and installers for her own jobs. Great, so I call back and she tells me how she goes all over the country for her clients and finds good local companies to contract out to. A bunch of other BS about all her stores and florist division, award winning orchids. Shes laying it on thick. She puts a little too much emphasis on the reasonable rates talk so Im a little leary already but usually pricing by the job I can make average people happy and make a buck still so I give her a price to plant a bunch of daffodills, not my favorite thing to do but I do it. Im there on the job and it doesnt take long before things just arent adding up. The builder at this property that is showing me what to do with the flowers, hes not very "builder-ish" at all. The lawn trimming has not been done this year. Who has a high end landscape designer and no proffesional LCO??? Oh yeah, and theres about 3 times as many daffodills as theres supposed to be and 3 pages of instructions drawn out by this women on how to plant the dafodils! With little sketches showing the bulb and soil level and growth, bulbs 1 inch appart. Little irregular shaped circles representing a random pattern to plant in, and not square. There is a square on the paper with a line through it saying "not like this" lol. Then at the bottom it says "this is not a long job!" Uh oh. So Im about 15 minutes in and realizing whats going on which is obviously that my high end "landscape designer" and "builder" on this property are the home owners and very full of it. Am I smart enough to just cut my losses and leave now? Nope! So I throw these things in the ground FAST cause I know Im wasting my time here. About 450-500 of them which was supposed to be less than 200. Just to confirm the obvious I Talked to the "builder" a little bit. Asked him if he had a wheel barrow I could use. He goes to get and says "but I think it has a flat tire" Goes in the house, and into the coat rack and grabs a hand pump like he owns the place duuuuhh;)

So I did get a great laugh, and good story out of it but Im waiting for the call on how wrong the job was. She did send me an e mail, she was good with the work but she says, "the builder told me you were there for 2 1/4 hours, I knew it would be a short job! So I bet it will cost less than you though" :dizzy: You cant make this stuff up. Then she told me about all the other thing around the property that she needs prices for the client on. Taking down a shed, brush hogging, etc.

Told her Im booked for the rest of the year!

Can anyone top this BS factor of a customer?

vencops
06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Did you agree on a price for your work?

I'm not sure where the rub is????

Not saying there isn't some weird-ness going on. But, I'm not following where the "real" gist of the issue is.

Hope it works out.

topsites
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
No, I had a couple of these so far this year and all I can say is I got stupid lucky I got away from it with my hide MOSTLY intact, now I'm not
getting into it other than I also didn't see it coming as quickly as I could have, or maybe I should say I decided to politely ignore big red flags.
Just as good a story thou, I'm sure.

Unfortunately after much back and forth I have come to the conclusion that we're going to have to deal with this type of customer...
If we want any kind of a future.

Told her Im booked for the rest of the year!

That's probably the best answer.
You got lucky too, believe me it almost always only gets worse.

Btw...
Does anyone see the connection:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353437

4 seasons lawn&land
06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Did you agree on a price for your work?

I'm not sure where the rub is????

Not saying there isn't some weird-ness going on. But, I'm not following where the "real" gist of the issue is.

Hope it works out.

The issue would be, she is the homeowner, nothing more. No landscape designer and certainly not the one for the "clients" house I was working at. Just a real cheap whack job with alot of BS to throw around. I thought it was obviously rude and aggravating but above all hillarious that someone would go through all the BSing for a contractors discount.