PDA

View Full Version : The bar got me home alive!

jvanvliet
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Thought it would never happen to me... I always keep a safe distance from the edge, make sure the tires are properly inflated with sufficient tread. Once the slide happened, I could do nothing to stop it... no traction.

Of course the imbicile overwatered his lawn and it was a mud bath near the bottom of the slope.

Within less than a minute, there were three guys from other LCO's there, one all the way from across the lake. My workmen were there almost instantly to help pull me off the tractor. The other guys helped get the machine out of the lake, good thing I have three on the trailer to help pull.

The imbicile homeowner who was on his pool deck talking on the phone, saw everything & ran into the house when he saw the tractor go over the side. Guess what, he didn't call 911, he didn't come out, but he did call me that night to complain about the ruts in his lawn.

Thanks brothers, I don't even know your names. But you came in my most desperate hour to help while the homeowner ran away.

madisonpressurewashing
06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Thank God that you are ok

944own
06-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Sorry to hear that, glad you are ok and glad you had help. The homeowner seems like a real ass. I dont know what I would have told him when he actually complained about ruts when he did not help and this could have ended very bad. Good luck and be careful

NIXRAY
06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm so glad you're ok. And sorry to hear that the coward homeowner not only ran inside but to call and complain
I never could understand why so many lco's run with out rops they are there for a reason
Posted via Mobile Device

ffemt1271
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
good thing you had it in the down position that time, had it been up it woiuld went all the way over.

kubotafan
06-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Looks like a good chance to clean out under the deck and get the blades off to sharpen!

Lehighlawnpros
06-12-2011, 03:00 PM
jvanvliet,

Thanks for posting your story and pictures. So glad that you're o.k.

God bless those who helped!

GravelyGuy
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Your lucky!

The homeowner would promptly be told to go **** himself if it were me.

jvanvliet
06-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Looks like a good chance to clean out under the deck and get the blades off to sharpen!

I thought so too, but by the time I cleaned out my shorts and boots, it was time to wrap it up for the day.

SimonCX
06-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Your lucky!

The homeowner would promptly be told to go **** himself if it were me.

Same here, if it were me what you said would be on the nice side, I don't think my post would stay up long if I wrote what I though of him.

44DCNF
06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Wow........angel on your shoulder for sure

Aaronnc
06-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Like super wow. Again, thanks for the pics and telling your story. Super glad your OK. What a P.O.S client. One day he'll need help, and I hope karma bites him in the A$$. Be safe out there fellas.

mowerbrad
06-12-2011, 05:30 PM
WOW!!! That could have ended really badly, not only did it nearly flip over entirely but it would have also flipped into water. That could have ended really bad.

Thankfully you had some help come running over. People react to situations like this quite differently, which is why I assume the homeowner ran inside...some people want nothing to do with stressful situations and others are willing to help, its the typical "fight or flight" reaction. Some people have absolutely no idea what to do in a situation like that and want nothing to do with it.

What I do find quite odd in the homeowner's reaction is that he never came out to make sure you were okay, even after the accident was completely over with. Even when he called I would have expected him to ask if you were hurt at all. Now if I were you, I'd drop that customer the minute I heard him start to complain.

TuffWork
06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm glad to hear that you had some help. Although this business is hyper competitive I think it's important that we all stick together.

STIHL GUY
06-12-2011, 05:53 PM

haha. good think nobody was injured. it could have ended a lot worse

Ridin' Green
06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
You are a lucky guy for sure.

I am wondering, did you also have the seat belt on? That thing came so close to going on over and into the water, that I'm not sure which would be better here- with it on or off. I can see advantages both ways in this situation.

Sounds like the homeowner wanted to simply disappear so that he could deny any personal responsibilty. For example, overwatering and causing the unsafe condition in the first place. Then he could also say- I didn't see anything, I was on the phone.... blah, blah......

One last thing, send that in to Exmark. "Exmark- takes a flippin' , and keeps on snippin'".

Seriously though, maybe you can get them to use it in their ads, and it will help someone else stay safe.

ffemt1271
06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
if it were to go on over with a seatbelt on it would have crushed him, only wear the seatbelt if the bar is in the full up position.

MJS
06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Wow, glad you are alright man... there is no scarier feeling in the world then when a piece of equipment starts to slide and you realize how heavy it is and how very light you are. :(

As for the homeowner, well, what an uncaring imbecile. Not much else to say about that.

Ridin' Green
06-12-2011, 07:28 PM
if it were to go on over with a seatbelt on it would have crushed him, only wear the seatbelt if the bar is in the full up position.

Yea, but in this case the seat belt could have helped keep him on the machine, and not get tossed off to one side or the other then have the machine come one over on him crushing him anyway, especially bad if the blades were still on! (or worse yet, towards the water possibly causing the machine to come on over in that direction, landing on him before he could possibly get clear).
Like I said, I can see it both ways in THIS case

watatrp
06-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Were you headed down the slope when that happened? I learned a long time ago that the hydraulics get kind of squirrely when going downhill. I got my front end stuck in a pond once. Since then, I never go downhill on a slope with water at the bottom, always mow parallel to the water.

Darryl G
06-12-2011, 07:38 PM
When I read the title of this thread I was thinking that you had too many drinks at the bar and they called a taxi for you or something.

Glad you are ok and that others came to your aide. This could happen to any of us. I lost control on a slope on Wednesday and almost endied up off a steep dropoff into the woods. This is a fairly new account, but I've cut it a dozen times or more with the same machine without incident and conditions weren't unusual. Stay safe guys and don't let your guard down when running these machines!

flatlander42
06-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I can't imagine how mean I would have been to the "customer".

Lawn Dog2001
06-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Glad your OK. I have had some scary instances on my Z Master, but never quite that scary. Im glad you posted this and I hope everyone that sees those photos uses them as a reminder of just how dangerous our jobs can be. Slow down and be safe. Better to take an extra few minutes on a lawn and be alive than the alternative.

BTW I would drop that customer. Ive done it before. One time I was doing a large pruning job for a customer and I ran my clippers right through a white faced hornets nest. I was stung only three times, but in the confusion I drove the clippers right into my leg. Customer called to complain that I didnt finish that day. When I explained what happened, she told me how I really need to carry bee spray with me, and demanded to know when Id finish. Yes I dropped her.

THEGOLDPRO
06-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Dang bro, Go play the lottery. Glad you are allright.

Will P.C.
06-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I assume the homeowner was afraid of getting sued. Regardless, a life was in danger and he should have done the right thing. Scumbag.

Glad you are okay

Lugnut
06-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Good to see you're OK...this is a reminder to me to be extra careful, I cut 2 accounts similar to the one you were at

topsites
06-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Why I don't feel sorry...

Get Some...
06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Glad your OK.......

How funny that the csr ran and hid.
Glad other's were there to help out.

MOW ED
06-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Bad story with a good ending for you. It is amazing how fast things happen. I am sure you have mowed this area many times before and had no idea this was even a possibility. I am glad you only spent a pair of wears on it and you are here to enlighten us. Have a better day my friend.

lawnboy dan
06-13-2011, 07:32 AM
this is why i i dont mow slopes with a z -use a 21 instead!

DIXIECONTRACTING
06-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Glad to see you are ok

tuffram
06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Glad you are ok man. I will send you a new pack of under wear looks like you can use them I know I would if I were in that position.

lotsagrass
06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Yikes. Glad everything worked out as well as it could have in that situation. I know these aren't for everyone, but I won't mow my own hilly yard without my Carlisle AT101 Chevron 24x12-12 tires. They've grabbed in and stopped me from sliding quit a bit. They're not great on the grass when they dig in, but it's better than me sliding into a tree at the bottom.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1069979226_9ZocM-L-1.jpg

indplstim
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I am glad you escaped without serious injury, I had a brush with death on an old dixie chopper next to a creek with a 15 ft drop off into riprap(large jagged rocks) the mower started to slide and almost instinctively, I shut the blades off pulled the parking brake as both wheels were spinning in reverse, and was in the process of jumping off when it stopped at the edge, in the picture you posted it appears you were about 6 inches or less from the ledge, not exactly a "safe distance" and it isn't the homeowners fault for over watering as u state, it is ultimately you responsibility to check the conditions you are working in, a 1 min stroll along the bank would have alerted you if the ground was saturated, I'm not trying to flame here, just my 2 cents, your safety is your responsibility everyone needs to be ultra aware of your surrounding and conditions
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I am glad you escaped without serious injury, I had a brush with death on an old dixie chopper next to a creek with a 15 ft drop off into riprap(large jagged rocks) the mower started to slide and almost instinctively, I shut the blades off pulled the parking brake as both wheels were spinning in reverse, and was in the process of jumping off when it stopped at the edge, in the picture you posted it appears you were about 6 inches or less from the ledge, not exactly a "safe distance" and it isn't the homeowners fault for over watering as u state, it is ultimately you responsibility to check the conditions you are working in, a 1 min stroll along the bank would have alerted you if the ground was saturated, I'm not trying to flame here, just my 2 cents, your safety is your responsibility everyone needs to be ultra aware of your surrounding and conditions
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally agree!

No offence and Im glad your ok but looks like you had the deck hanging over the edge. You should never of been so close! On a slope, drop off at bottom and water! :nono: That is a BIG No-No!

BigDreamsLawn&Landscapes
06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
you got lucky bud....glad everything worked out for you and that you had help there when you needed it

nobagger
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing,lol At least we can joke about it instead of reading about it! As far as the home owner....What an ass and I would have let him know he was an ass! A few years ago my Brother-in-law was killed in a car accident and I called the next few days worth of customer's to say I wont be cutting this week due to obvious reasons and the only thing this one ass could say was "well when the heck are you going to mow it". I said you've got to be kidding me, then I said you can find someone else to mow your sh!thole lawn.

Snapper Jack
06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear someone was looking out for you! Could of turned into a worse outcome,so stay the heck away from those slopes next time or have guard rails in placed around that pond:laugh:

jvanvliet
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Why I don't feel sorry...

I wasn't looking for sympathy :nono:... I was encouraging everyone to be cautious, not to remove the roll bar like many have suggested and how dangerous the work can be...

jvanvliet
06-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You guys are right... I've cut this guy for years. Got too comfortable.

THEGOLDPRO
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
i had almost the exact same thing happin to me about 7 years ago i almost crapped myself when i went down the hill sideways.

indplstim
06-14-2011, 07:47 PM
You guys are right... I've cut this guy for years. Got too comfortable.

It happens to the best of us, hell, all of us if you mow long enough, u can be greatful the water lever was low from the looks of the pic u may have taken a mid-day bath. Everyone needs to be aware and educate your employees about the dangers of the job
Posted via Mobile Device

crocs27
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
makes me think twice about the first thing I do with a new zero turn and that's to take the rollover bar off.

bob
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
makes me think twice about the first thing I do with a new zero turn and that's to take the rollover bar off.

I had to take my non-folding bar off, in order to back the trailer into the garage. All ZTR's should come standard with a folding ROPS.