PDA

View Full Version : feul prices

fatguy28
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
as anyone ever tried one of those power programmers if so how did it work and was it worth it.:drinkup:

wvaughn7
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
It depends on what you have. If you have a gas engine I don't think they really do much. Now we have a Ford 7.3 diesel and put an Edge programmer on it and it definately gives more torque and horsepower. You can feel a substantial difference when it is turned up. We keep it on level one for towing, and level teo for normal driving as specified by the manual. On these settings you have more low end power, therefore not making the engine work as hard or long in the high RPM's. This doesn't show too much improvement with loads of 10k+, but we went from 14 MPG to about 16 around town. It didn't change the highway mileage as much, because it is still having to turn the same RPM's to run 60 MPH. Overall I would definately consider one for a diesel.

randosh4
06-13-2011, 12:04 AM
r speeling are gettin gooder

topsites
06-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Honestly, I think for $25 you get yourself a vacuum gauge, hook it up.
That's what a mpg gauge is, a modified vacuum gauge, the only difference is in the readout.
Basically, the more vacuum you're getting, the higher your mpg.

Install one of those and you have yourself an instant on-demand mpg gauge that tells you your fuel economy real-time.
Believe me, it will change the way you drive.

lulz

jsf343
06-13-2011, 02:00 AM

lol :laugh:

topsites
06-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Btw...
After some shopping around I found a nice deal on a vacuum gauge, the only
reason I haven't bought one is because the $25 was biting (plus the half of
them would require extra hardware + tax) always the total was close to $30+!

Found one for just over $10, pretty nice too:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-led-lit-vacuum-gauge-98482.html

You won't find better for less, I've looked high and low for this and I mean I started looking years ago,
I have never seen them for much under $20 even when they're on sale.

Going to get mine tomorrow morning, finally have my miles-per-gallon gauge.

.....................................................How it works......................................................

When an engine is in operation, it needs fuel.
In so doing, it creates suction.
This suction in turn creates a vacuum.
When a driver steps on the gas pedal, it opens the throttle and lets air in to the system.
Doing that stabilizes the air pressure inside the manifold.

The gauge is hooked into (spliced) an existing vacuum line that usually comes out of the manifold and
then goes to one of several vacuum-driven devices (such as the brake power booster, for example).

It does the SAME thing a digital Mpg gauge does.
The only difference is the vacuum gauge tells you the deal in ways of negative atmospheric pressure,
whereas an actual Miles-per-gallon gauge would tell you the factual miles . gallon...
However, a true Mpg gauge also costs near $100 or more.

Cons: Doesn't provide "average" mpg or "trip" or other fancy readouts.

Greenie
06-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Honestly, I think for $25 you get yourself a vacuum gauge, hook it up.
That's what a mpg gauge is, a modified vacuum gauge, the only difference is in the readout.
Basically, the more vacuum you're getting, the higher your mpg.

Install one of those and you have yourself an instant on-demand mpg gauge that tells you your fuel economy real-time.
Believe me, it will change the way you drive.

lulz

Diesel engines don't create vacuum like a gas engine does; many diesels require a belt-driven vacuum pump to create usable vacuum for power brakes and hvac control doors. A vacuum gage on a diesel won't accomplish anything other than confirming that the pump is working.

topsites
06-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Diesel engines don't create vacuum like a gas engine does; many diesels require a belt-driven vacuum pump to create usable vacuum for power brakes and hvac control doors. A vacuum gage on a diesel won't accomplish anything other than confirming that the pump is working.

Well that's just great but then the guy didn't say what he had and I'll be (*&%^ if I'm going through
everyone's profile all the time just to see when they could have volunteered the information,
also while you were busy I bought and installed mine so I've got a fully functional
poor man's fuel economy gauge.

That will do a lot more for fuel economy than dieseling around.

Richard Martin
06-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Btw...
After some shopping around I found a nice deal on a vacuum gauge, the only
reason I haven't bought one is because the $25 was biting (plus the half of
them would require extra hardware + tax) always the total was close to $30+!

Are you talking about one like this? I installed this one the last time gas was $4 a gallon. I've been using it ever since.