PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Scag V-Ride owners!!!

sweetland
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
To all those V-Ride owners, how do you like it?
Till the end of the month Scag is having a great deal on the V-Ride and I'm 90% about to pull the trigger and sign on the dotted line. I have a demo lined up this week but I was looking for insight from current owners on what to watch out for and what problems if any should I bring up to the rep? There are a few threads on here but nothing really gets accomplished on them.

I just want to know if I should get one or not in your honest opinion
Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
i have the 52 inch, I went from a 54" John Deere walkbehind.
Pros-
1. Very fast
2. Excellent cut (deck clogs a little in wet stuff but i havent seen one that didnt)
3. Very manuverable
4. Price was cheaper than the competition (locally)
5. Comfortable for the operator (as compared to my walkbehind)

Cons.
1. Not good on hills
2. Sucks gas
3. Have some problems with scalping when tire drops into hole or running on some hilly conditions.

All in all i would buy another one, I have gotten alot more comfortable operating on hills, As I've stated in another post I was planning on buying a 60 zero and a 48 walkbehind, but decided to buy the 52 vride. That saved me thousands and not to mention maintaing two machines. Blasts through my big yards and still small and manuverable enough for my small ones. OF course theres alot of little things i would change if i were designing it but that goes with anybody and anything. IF you have any other questions feel free to ask me!

grass-scapes
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Same as the above post. Sucks gas like water on a hot day. Scalps easy if you aren't careful. Will tear up some ground if you aren't very very careful. Very heavy.

Had both wheel motors and 1 hydro pump replaced at 150 hours on mine. Toro feels smoother and my crew likes the toro stand on machine better, but the v-ride is a nicer cut and faster too.

TGG2008
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I bought two for this year and after 90 & 100 hours on each machine I have no real complaints. The weight is heavy compared to most. The 48" will scalp so some manuevering with the deck lift lever is our work around. Overall, a nice cut, good discharge, fast when useful. If your a heavier person though you will bottom out on the springs that cushion the platform so don't put too much trust in those when going over bumps or driveway lips, etc. I still don't take crazy hills on sideways but climbing a hill is easy if you lean forward some. My GS demo last year could not take what I can do with this.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
We have 3 now and really likethem we ran wright prior and switched to scag because they are bullet proof. Much better cut in our opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Just bought 2 today, love scag's and glad to have them back on my trailer, can't wait to work tomorrow

addictedtolandscaping
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I picked one up a few weeks ago, and same thing love it. I had all scags way back when and had nothing but problems. I was really hesitant to buy this one, but the $ made sense. If I could get rid of my Ferris 3100, there would be another orange monster on the trailer!!!

cgaengineer
04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
i have the 52 inch, I went from a 54" John Deere walkbehind.
Pros-
1. Very fast
2. Excellent cut (deck clogs a little in wet stuff but i havent seen one that didnt)
3. Very manuverable
4. Price was cheaper than the competition (locally)
5. Comfortable for the operator (as compared to my walkbehind)

Cons.
1. Not good on hills
2. Sucks gas
3. Have some problems with scalping when tire drops into hole or running on some hilly conditions.

All in all i would buy another one, I have gotten alot more comfortable operating on hills, As I've stated in another post I was planning on buying a 60 zero and a 48 walkbehind, but decided to buy the 52 vride. That saved me thousands and not to mention maintaing two machines. Blasts through my big yards and still small and manuverable enough for my small ones. OF course theres alot of little things i would change if i were designing it but that goes with anybody and anything. IF you have any other questions feel free to ask me!

Same as above post as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns Etc
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
The cut on my 61 is great but like above it will scalp or at least go a bit uneven if you hit a dip. But the 61 is VERY fast for a stander Ive got 70 hrs on it so far in a month and no complaints other than it takes a little while to get the lines straight compared to the Wrights but now I can go straight no prob. I will say the 29 hp drinks alot of fuel into the 2 gph range. My Dixie 33 gets like 1.3 on the Generac and the other 28 EFI is arounf 1 GPH so the fuel is an issue that is disturbing but all in all im happy.

MOWER-MAN
04-15-2012, 06:35 PM
I have a 36 and a 52 bought the 52 this year . My saying is mow it once with a scag or mow it twice with a wright. Run nothing but scag now. Yes they love gas.

vaacutabove
04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I have 8 hrs on mine. Like it so far going up hill i have to start slow the front will lift. Cuts good just getting where im happy with my lines
Posted via Mobile Device

THG
04-16-2012, 01:26 AM
For relatively flat mowing the Scag V ride is very good. For hills or slopes, the Wright wins. In my opionion the Toro Grandstand falls in between the Scag and the Wright on hills. All depends on what type of cutting you are doing.

jdlynch
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Can you step off of a Scag V-ride and walk it as you would a conventional walk-behind mower?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Can you step off of a Scag V-ride and walk it as you would a conventional walk-behind mower?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes...but only when you disconnect the operator presence switch. I can even step off and the blades remain engaged.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
The new ones you can i believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOWER-MAN
04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
yes you can . the plate from rises up and latch's . At least on the 2012 model .

Creative Cuts
04-19-2012, 12:20 AM
only thing that sucks is if it's really cold out you can't wear gloves with the sensor grips they have, but cuts real well and stripes nice