PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Engines

Stander
06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Anyone have any opinions on Subaru Engines. I'm looking at buying a EH65 22hp. Do they start good in the cold?

johnny_boy02
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I had a Subaru WRX that I loved and miss. If they build small engines like they build cars I would get one.

Sorry not much help.

rwaters
06-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I had a Subaru WRX that I loved and miss. If they build small engines like they build cars I would get one.

Sorry not much help.

I think it more a offshoot of the Robin engine. They are very vague as to where they are made. I personally have never sold anything with it. But I have repaired a few 2cycle items and was not that impressed.

P.P.C.L.C.
06-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I have one on a little wonder blower, it is a little hard to start in cold temps.

cpllawncare
06-13-2011, 12:08 AM

Sorry not much help.

I agree, I had a BMW 335 and thought it was pretty fast, until I ran up against a WRX si, I know it had to have some work done on it cause, it was walking off from me running 150+.

MONTE
06-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Had a eh72 on a 72" bladerunner mower. It acted like it was a 30+ hp engine. It might have been how the hydro's are run on those machines but it was very strong. I could not get it started in cold weather. Told the dealer about it he changed the starter to a heavy duty version it always started after that.

Tofutti
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Again, not much help here, but for the other ppl talking cars.. I couldn't beat a Subaru up here in terms of cold weather reliability.... like -30F everyday. Subaru seems to be the official Vermont car. As you go down the road driving to your lawns, (or in the middle of winter to plow) every third vehicle you see coming at you up here is a Subaru. There has to be a reason for that. I know they have always gotten me home after our Highway crews have stopped plowing the roads and have never let me down..

Back to the thread. I'm not sure what they did when they started re-branding the Ryan engines with Subaru on small equipment. But if Subaru actually had any real oversight on the manufacturing process, I'd go for it.

(Pipe-Dream incoming:) If they ever found a way to hook up an old Subaru 2.2 (Horizontally-opposed, 4 cyl.) to a big ZTR, our entire state would be instantly sold lol. From what I've seen, Prolly all of NH and Maine too lol. Those engines lasted easily for 300k miles. Might equate to 5k hours on a mower without any real issues.

unkownfl
06-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a Subaru engine on my generator it starts pretty easy and it sits 6 months in between starts. I don't have but maybe 10 hours on the engine over 5 years.

BillWil
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
I've got a Subaru on a pressure washer. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 plus hour on it. Starts on the first or second pull and is relatively quiet. I would buy another.

bohiaa
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I think he's refering to the home depot walk behinds....

Try to rememnber where do I get parts when it breaks down...

Merkava_4
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Anyone have any opinions on Subaru Engines?

They're super high quality engines; right up there with Honda, Kawasaki, and Vanguard.

pugs
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I think it more a offshoot of the Robin engine. They are very vague as to where they are made. I personally have never sold anything with it. But I have repaired a few 2cycle items and was not that impressed.

Look on the side of any of them. They will say Fuji Heavy Industries. Look under the hood of a Polaris made from the 70's up into the 2000's and probably still some of them. They say the same thing. They are very good engines.

Actually some of the newer "Onan" engines are rebadged Robin/Subarus
http://robinamerica.com/media/manuals/129217990139883342.pdf

Check out that manual...at the bottom it says Onan Performer OHV220 LOL

mowerbrad
06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I've got a Subaru engine on a pressure washer, its a 7hp engine. It doesn't get used too often, only a few times a year, but it starts easily every time. Its fairly quiet, good on fuel and smooth running. I would definately buy Subaru again, probably over Honda.