PDA

View Full Version : History Channel modern garage

Toroguy
10-16-2002, 11:14 AM
There was a cool show on the History Channel awhile back. It covered the history of many garage gadgets incluging the leaf blower and string trimmer.

The blower was was a creation of some commercial guys who rigged a flexible hose onto a portable sprayer? Echo first realized this and created the PB-3 and the rest is history.

The string trimmer started as an electric model. As a kid we had a rechargeable scissor action grass clipper. Anyone recall the first gas string trimmer? I think it was "Weedeater"?

Do any of the veterans recall the time when these products hit the market? I'm thinking this was during the early 1970's

Mykster
10-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Would've loved to see that.

Don't mean to get off subject but, I remeber seeing a show on the Jetski and the history of the two guys who invented it.

They were at a local beach with their new creation. It wasn't the sweetest looking thing but it was different for those times. One guy was standing in the water next to the machine, he asked his friend, "so, do you think people will buy it"?

rodfather
10-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I had one of the original trimmers from the company by that name, "Weedeater".

The thing was a monster. Heavy as all h***...musta weighed 65 or 70 lbs. Had a 4-line trimmer head (manual feed) that could handle .130 line. Swear if it was any larger you could brush hog with it...LOL. Motor on it was bout the size you'd see on a kid's go cart (maybe bigger).

About 1 hour at a time was all you could work with this thing. Like I said, it was a beast.

Floridalandcare
10-16-2002, 06:24 PM
If im not mistaken I beleive the person who came up with the string trimmer approached Black and Decker with it , and they stole his Idea .I think Black and Decker had the first one .

Runner
10-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Actually, way before that, (back in the late 40's to early 50's, my father's best friend had developed this idea. He used an old sump pump motor from the dump he owned, and attached a piece of wire that ran through a steel tube to it. If only he had known...:D

rodfather
10-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Heck...this is getting kind of interesting! Would like to see where the original mowers came from. Someone told me once from England or Scotland, I think reel types too.

Tony Harrell
10-17-2002, 07:04 AM
In the book "Picture Perfect", there are lots of pics of old mowers from England. Ransommes is one of the oldest of them. That's where lawn striping started also. They even have museums about mowers over there.