PDA

View Full Version : pick axe handle

lawnjob
10-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Does anyone have good info on installing the oval tapered handle into the pick axe head? Any old-timer tricks? I'm hoping to do it right the first time..... Thanks

mdb landscaping
10-16-2002, 01:36 PM
dont you just slide the skinnier end through, and then let the head of the axe use its own weight to jam it on the larger end? then just use the dead weight of the axe and drop it a few times on the oval part, and the axe should seat itself well. I hope this helps.

Green Pastures
10-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Put a little epoxy paste (epoxy resins mixed with chopped glass fibers) around the end of the handle. Drop the axehead down on the handle and drop it several times on a hard surface. Then turn it over and hammer a metal wedge in the end on the wooden handle to expand it. Works like a charm for me.

Scott

PAPS
10-16-2002, 05:59 PM
but this is by far dumbest thread I have yet to read on this web-site.....:confused: sorry to say but, if you cannot figure out how to put a pick-axe head on a handle... then your in the wrong business. :rolleyes:

lawnjob
10-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Thanks, green pastures. That's the kind of tip I was looking for. Every pick axe I've ever used has the always loosening, never quite right taper fit. I bought a new one (came in two pieces) and just wanted to pick some brain about building a better mousetrap before I installed the handle.:) That's the beauty of this medium.
PAPS, The motto I use is: The only stupid question is the one you don't ask":cool:

Green Pastures
10-16-2002, 09:58 PM
You're welcome.

Scott

mdb landscaping
10-16-2002, 10:34 PM
hey paps. the guy asked for some tips. he didnt ask how to do it. he just wanted a tip to make the handle last longer and fit tighter. if you think its a stupid question, just overlook it and dont answer. this is a question and answer type of forum isnt it:confused:

AL Inc
10-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Actually, I thought the dressing up for Halloween thread was the dumbest I have ever seen here. JMO, Mike

baddboygeorge
10-18-2002, 02:45 PM
paps couldn't have said it any better!!thats about like one of my employees putting regular gas in a diesel truck what an idiot

lawnjob
10-18-2002, 06:25 PM
"thats about like one of my employees putting regular gas in a diesel truck what an idiot" 'zat right Boy George? Care to follow me rebuilding a 3406 Cat? How about an Allison trans? I'm sorry to waste the time of all the resident brain surgeons. I mistakenly thought forums were for sharing information, however simple. God Bless You All.

paul
10-18-2002, 08:55 PM
These type of posts will not be allowed here.

If you have a problem with a member E-mail each other.

This thread is closed!!!