PDA

View Full Version : cheap sprinkler systems killing me

Agape
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a few customers with cheap sprinklers, with home cheapo parts, that stick up out of the ground, are not attached with funny pipe but rather ridgid.

I got a customer that thinks we ran around kicking over the sprinkler heads and now has like 7 heads/shafts that are broken and now I gotta come out Wed. and spend my time and resourses to fix them all.

Obviously I can tell him a leaky head probably caused a hammer effect but theres no way of convincing him we didn't do it.

going out with some black PVC a 2x4 & hammer and after I fix the heads, protect them with the PVC sections.

definitely going to work up a liabillity disclaimer for exposed heads and pipe for the future, but I want to keep this customer. just frustrated!:dizzy:

Alan0354
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Can you set the cutting height higher? Tell the customer that's the only way you can do it. Then offer them to change it for a price and let them make the decision.

ArTurf
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I am a mowing and irrigation company. A properly installed head should not be damaged by a mower unless the head were on say a hump where the mower scalps. I would tell the customer up front before mowing you are not responsible for irrigation damage. On the other hand if something has been damaged in the past make a point to remember where the head is and maybe approach that area differently.

lawnboy dan
06-13-2011, 05:54 PM
i tell people right up front -not responceable for sprinkler damage

Agape
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I am a mowing and irrigation company. A properly installed head should not be damaged by a mower unless the head were on say a hump where the mower scalps. I would tell the customer up front before mowing you are not responsible for irrigation damage. On the other hand if something has been damaged in the past make a point to remember where the head is and maybe approach that area differently.

only one was broken in the lawn the rest were in the beds off a path etc.....

I could tell em to jump... but I would just loose the customer

AI Inc
06-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Is he worth keeping?

txgrassguy
06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
In addition to ArTurf's post I also walk the property first prior to accepting a new client specifically to check existent irrigation system.
If the system appears either homeowner installed, in need of repair or the client telling me fixing the sprinkler system is their "hobby" I have learned the hard way the best thing to do is walk away - unless I am able to upsell the needed corrections while keeping the client away from the programming.
On more than one occasion I have walked from an estimate telling the potential client I wasn't interested in providing service due to the myriad of issues present = not worth the hassle.

topsites
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Well it's just one of those things, if all our customers were experts they wouldn't be our customers :p

Agape
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Is he worth keeping?

he's right across the street from another account, so its a good stop, and no- I don't give a discount because they live close, so its a very good stop, but I also like the people. I'm gonna fix the heads, but I'm also bringing some black PVC and then there will be no doubt in the future that we could not have broken them, and I will make a sprinkler disclaimer for future clients.

just sucks is all:angry: