PDA

View Full Version : Michigan State Turf Student - Opportunities?

Loyd Bowman
10-16-2002, 12:20 PM
I am a Sports and Commercial Turfgrass Management Student at Michigan State University , and am looking for oppotunities.

I will be finished with school in December, and am trying to get a feel for what is available. I'm not necessarily asking anyone to offer me a job, I'd would just appreciate information on any leads that other members may know about.

I have experience in the industry, and as a supervisor, and will consider relocating anywhere for the right opportunities.

I will provide more information to anyone who may be interested.

Thanks for your help.

Loyd Bowman

mdb landscaping
10-16-2002, 01:33 PM
i too am a turfgrass science major at the University of Connecticut. I dont know if they do this at michigan, but around here, they invite a few of the larger companies like Brickman, to come in and recruit people. Supposedly last year, if you knew spanish, theyd just about hire you on the spot as a manager/supervisor. I heard they were starting pay at $35,000, but that may be a rumor. Maybe talk to one of your advisors, and have him check with some companies around, and maybe set up a career day sort of deal. i am running my own business right now on the side, but i still am going to talk with some of the companies, just to see what they are offering.

UTM-PIKE
10-23-2002, 10:39 PM
I too am a turfgrass science/golf course management major at the University of Tennessee at Martin. Im always looking at opportunities that may develop years down the road. I just dont think that there is enough money to be made working for someone else (please tell me if Im wrong) when you could be working for yourself and making everything. I love that freedom. I took a month and a half vacation this summer and had my employees run my business, while having my customers payments $$$ come to my parents lake home, so I was making money doing nothing. I have considered being a golf course superintendent, but didnt know what kind of figures they would be pulling in. Again, I love the freedom of being the boss and making everything. I am an extremely avid outdoorsman and the 3-4 months off in the winter is awesome for my waterfowl/big game hunting. As for jobs, look through your schools job placement program and set your goals high settling for nothing but the best job for you. Its out there, you just have to find it. I am taking a few of my buddies to the GIE Conference in Nashville to hopefully find some jobs there as well with big firms. Hope this helps!