PDA

View Full Version : Zero turn questions

I_am_a_beginner
06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
- For commercial purpose only (Shell, Mcdonalds, Taco Bell sort of contract) which deck size would be the more fonctionnal and productive. I am looking at a 52" or 61" deck size. I want the right deck size, which one would be a sure bet?

- I am currently doing business with a Ferris Dealer. They offer me 2 different category of zero turn which are the IS500 and the IS1500. Does the IS500 is a commercial grade zero turn? Do the IS1500 worth the 1500$-2000$ investment?

- In my town, there is a Toro, a Ferris, a Ariens, a Gravely dealer. Is there in those brands AN ABSOLUTE MOST 52" OR 61" zero turn?

weeze
06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
i would think a 61" would be too big...at least here...all the commercial lots here have ditches and stuff and aren't really that big...alot of people do them with pushmowers...that's how small they are here.

SLMGT
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Probably a couple good string trimmers, an edger, a good shrub trimmer and a good back pack blower should be about all you would need if the fast food joints are like the ones around here.

I_am_a_beginner
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?

Tofutti
06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?

I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.

Km81
06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Ferris IS1500Z 48" deck would be the best choice for you. 26hp Kawi V-twin + ICD deck = Flawless cut, powerful, and good fuel economy.

Most importantly: You can't beat a Ferris

Km81
06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.

If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.

Tofutti
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.

Good point. Maybe the walkbehind would be the better bet indeed, being able to hop obstacles easier than a ZTR. This is why I also mentioned a WB with a Pro-plate/ProSlide setup. Here (http://www.novaestore.com/Category/3-proslide-xt.aspx).

Tofutti
06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
That link shows where/how to order it, but it doesn't show the real benefit of it.
This thing will virtually disappear under the machine as soon as you back up (if turning around and whatnot). Very handy for tight spots.

Bagit
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Wright Stander RH w/36" deck and one push mower would cut these props efficiently.

Runner
06-14-2011, 01:26 AM
A walk behind, even larger one would do circles around a Z on properties like this. The right sulky would not not cause much hindrance (if any) compared to the benefit it would have, either.

ommegang
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
What about the Ferris 48" Evolution? Is that not Ferris' stander?

BestImpressions99
06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Agree, 48 for those type of commercials is just about as big as you want to go.

Northeast Mower
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree with some of the others that posted, a 48 should be all that you need.

We have contracts with 15 Burger Kings in the state and we use 60 in Turf Tracers with a ProSlide and I think it's to big. A problem we run into is that we can't get the deck around certain obstacles and we have to trim the area, not a huge deal but with a deck size of 48 it would allow you to be more efficient.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably have to hop up and down curbs. Although i've never used one, I would think that for commercial accounts like this a stander would be the most efficient.

If anyone here uses a stander for small commercial accounts like this i'd love to hear your experience. Thanks.

I_am_a_beginner
06-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Ya would be nice to hear from people who use standers for commercial purposes
Posted via Mobile Device

sbarrett
06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
im new to these mowers and i recently got a job as a mechanic for a landscape company. one of the 48's came back the other day with a blown hydraulic line, i replaced the line and filled the tank but the mower will not move. no leaking or strange noises it just wont move...any help?

I_am_a_beginner
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Dont hijack the thread plz :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Tofutti
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I could very well be wrong as I haven't used a stander out in the field, but while playing with them at the dealer this spring trying to decide what to replace an old wb with (another wb or go stander) it seemed to be much harder to get the front tires off the ground to hop objects with. I'm not a small guy at all (6'5" and 290 lbs) and it took ALL of me pushing the handlebars down to get it to even start to lift (while not riding it). For my own curiosity, I would also like to hear from somebody with experience with them.

Bagit
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I could very well be wrong as I haven't used a stander out in the field, but while playing with them at the dealer this spring trying to decide what to replace an old wb with (another wb or go stander) it seemed to be much harder to get the front tires off the ground to hop objects with. I'm not a small guy at all (6'5" and 290 lbs) and it took ALL of me pushing the handlebars down to get it to even start to lift (while not riding it). For my own curiosity, I would also like to hear from somebody with experience with them.

Go up the curb back wheels first at a slight angle. If you clear with the rear wheels then the front caster tires should clear also. If you can't clear because of height of curb then use a homemade ramp or the tailgate to your trailer to assist the mower to gain turf.

BestImpressions99
06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
We have a community club that has 8 inch curbs and if you approach it straight you'll have no problem clearing the curb with the deck raised. We have a Toro Grandstand 48". Love it.

Get Some...
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
im new to these mowers and i recently got a job as a mechanic for a landscape company. one of the 48's came back the other day with a blown hydraulic line, i replaced the line and filled the tank but the mower will not move. no leaking or strange noises it just wont move...any help?

Air in the line, just keep moving the control's until the air bled's out.

Or open the valve's on the pump's and work the control's.