PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when people contact for lawn care out of state?

Ijustwantausername
06-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a couple buying a house (nice house) about 20 minutes from my general area.

They contact me to give them an estimate on lawn maintenance. They are out of state I believe...? Do I mow on good faith then get them to send me the money or do I get them to pre-pay? Or do I ask if they will be viewing the house/moving in anytime soon to collect? How do you handle this? Thanks.

SLMGT
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
We've mowed a few lawns for military families that move and leave a house behind. We've had mixed results so don't mow many times before collecting. I would mow and send an invoice immediately, if you don't get a check soon, mow no more.:usflag:

BigDreamsLawn&Landscapes
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I mow for many people that live out of state. Most are rental properties. Some of the easiest people to deal with. All they really care about is that the yard is kept neat and presentable. They send a check usually before any of my local residentials do. And no complaints at all!

TheGoat
06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
For out of state clients (lots of em here in Florida) I require payment before I'll start work.

Deland FL lawns service (www.hungrygoatlawns.com)

Tofutti
06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
All but 5 or 6 of our 47 accounts are out of state owners. Haven't had any issues at all with any of them. We bill at the first of the month for the previous month.

Of course, being in a resort town, these are mostly all multi-million dollar second, third, or fourth homes, and they're hardly ever around. But we do the same neat job every time, whether they'll ever see it or not. They pay every time.

rodzilla94
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I mow for many people that live out of state. Most are rental properties. Some of the easiest people to deal with. All they really care about is that the yard is kept neat and presentable. They send a check usually before any of my local residentials do. And no complaints at all!

same here....listen do what i do and set them on a 2 week pay and see how they pay.if slow then keep it on 2 week plan in a month or two if they pay in a reasonable amount of time then set them up on a month payment plan....oh i have 4 out of state and they are the best customers

jsslawncare
06-13-2011, 10:13 PM

I have 6 customer's like this that I have never met. I have never had a deal go bad. They trust that you will do a good job and do the job.

topsites
06-14-2011, 02:27 AM
I take my chances, all in all it's not too bad but I do lose out one here and there,
with out of staters it's always one mow at a time, if I don't get paid for the last mow
I ain't showing up again and I just MIGHT leave a note somewhere on the property to
the effect as well (as a warning to the next guy they might call.

Bet you ain't never in your life ever found a note from the previous Lco that said
Hey watch out they stiffed me!

Well if you ever do, maybe it was me lol

MOturkey
06-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Sometimes, you just have to take a chance. I've mowed for people who live away from here, never met them, all arrangements made via the telephone, and mowed for a month before the first billing. Never gotten stiffed by a single one of them. The ones I've gotten stiffed by are the ones who live here and that you see every day.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I have a couple buying a house (nice house) about 20 minutes from my general area.

They contact me to give them an estimate on lawn maintenance. They are out of state I believe...? Do I mow on good faith then get them to send me the money or do I get them to pre-pay? Or do I ask if they will be viewing the house/moving in anytime soon to collect? How do you handle this? Thanks.

I have no problem with good faith mowing jobs if my gut instinct tells me so. I had a guy five years ago call me here in KC off a Craigslist ad...and lives in California. Needed his Independence, MO ac lot mowed every other. I charge him $100/mo takes me about 30 minutes with drive time and is a beautiful deal. He sends me upfront monthly money.

Come to think of it, I've got an out of town Chicago ghetto owner who pays me per email bill after I'm done with his slums. Always pays. So don't shy away from the job but don't let the bill get away from you. Keep those checks coming...

Ijustwantausername
06-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Problem Solved!!! I get a call today from the wife saying that she wants to prepay for the month because I wont be seeing them much.

I absolutely LOVE customers like that. Polite as she could be too.

QLM
06-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Take credit cards brother. They pay me up front before I ever start a piece of equipment. Dude if you have a smart phone you can do the transaction and mail them pics from the job.
Posted via Mobile Device