PDA

View Full Version : I hate firing people! Have to vent.

nobagger
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I have this guy who has been with me for basically 2 seasons now and he's always shown up but he is super slow and usually misses the obvious things like the 6" tall grass around a well cap right in the middle of a lawn. He's been told to pick up the pace, quite missing things loose the attitude etc. but the worst thing is he's very unappreciative and is always in a grumpy mood bringing down the rest of the crew. This is the "seizure" guy I wrote about a few months ago, he had a seizure while doing a clean up and I prevented him from falling off a 200ft cliff. Never heard a thanks or anything from that, I bought him lunch a couple times cuz he was depressed about his on again, off again girlfriend, never heard a thanks from that, he's just that type of person but no one can stand him anymore. It took him just under 2 hours to do what took my two other guys about 15 minutes each to do...rake out clippings from a few very small flower beds after pruning. Then when confronted by me as to why its taking him forever he gets a huge attitude with me, yeah its time for him to go. Sorry for the rant.

TMlawncare
06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Sounds like it has to be done. He will probably be wondering why? People like that are generally clueless to why they are being let go. He will probably blame you one way or another.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
He sounds like he is possibly clinically depressed?

nobagger
06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds like it has to be done. He will probably be wondering why? People like that are generally clueless to why they are being let go. He will probably blame you one way or another.

I think it has to. After seeing how these newer people work without him reenforces what Ive always known, he's costing me money instead of making me money! Last year I laid him off and we actually got home about .5 to 1.5 hours sooner without him.

nobagger
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM

I don't know but Ive tried joking around with him, giving him more responsibility and ......nothing but the same ol' ho hum attitude.

93Chevy
06-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Can't change the world man.

nobagger
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Can't change the world man.

I hear ya! Thats one thing I was working on personally starting this past winter, if I was going to offend someone by calling them out to plow and actually make some money or putting up with someone like this guy because I feel bad for him. I'm surprised I put up with it this long.

Think Green
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Had a 45 year old employee a few years ago that did the same thing. He felt compelled in believing the world owed him something.............the teenager syndrome worker.
He had so many problems at home with a wife whom has heart disease, diabetes, etc. The poor man couldn't maintain a calm composure and stay attentive to chores. Needless-to-say the man quit and started his own mowing company. That didn't last long as he was doing the lawns of ours in equal size for 55% less.............all with push mowers.
The man passed away 5 years ago..................never really know what happened to him. The odd thing is......his wife is still alive and doing much better.
The term clinically depressed shouldn't be taken lightly as many American's have this affliction and don't even know it until they fall into a deeper sense of anxiety. Sometimes, the kick to the butt of being fired will jump start their mood...........sometimes it doesn't. This is not your problem.!!!
The other note of him having seisure's, well the medication will draw them down and make them sluggish. After a seizure, the person doesn't remember anything and will not know what happened. EVER!!!
You are doing the right thing as you cannot continue running a failing man hour in hopes to bring a person out of the gutter. If the person isn't willing to make a change for the better, then they don't need the attention. It will definitely bring down the whole crew and the work load.

dKoester
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I used to be depressed and lost my job for the same reasons as above about 10 years ago. You don't know what its like to be depressed. Its horrible, Its just a bunch of inward thoughts saying all kinds of crap making you feel like an emotional wreck. Even thoughts of suicide. Don't judge this guy. You don't know whats going on in his head.

Exact Rototilling
06-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I used to be depressed and lost my job for the same reasons as above about 10 years ago. You don't know what its like to be depressed. Its horrible, Its just a bunch of inward thoughts saying all kinds of crap making you feel like an emotional wreck. Even thoughts of suicide. Don't judge this guy. You don't know whats going on in his head.

What changed that you are no longer clinically depressed....currently?
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Ive had those types many times. They MUST go. I always waited too long and you would be amazed how they can infect the whole crew.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Shoot Im not judging him that's for sure. With all of the health issues going on around me (wifes kidney failure and my fathers diabetes which caused an ulcer on his heel and almost lost his foot etc etc) I have times like today where the last thing on earth I wanted to do was work. My butt was dragging all day and thoughts milling in my head and even right now I am in a ho hum could care less mood.

weeze
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
i used to get depressed alot....it got to the point where i can't even get depressed anymore...i no longer care enough about anything to get depressed over it anymore....it's all a big game man....nothing is worth getting depressed over...even if you are wrong and hopeless and don't have anything to live for....getting upset or depressed about it only makes it worse....i'm just at the point where i want everyone and everything to leave me alone and just let me be....if someone doesn't like me or whatever then fine just go away and never speak or look at me again...problem solved...i got better things to do than try to please everyone in the world and be what they want me to be and do things their way...it's not even worth trying to talk it out with someone...it just ends up in needless, pointless arguing that goes nowhere...life is too short for all of that crap....and you can always move on and do something else....starting over is a beautiful thing...it's what life is about...every day is a new day...you don't have to spend it in the same 'ol rut over and over....do something different...change...you don't have to be like everybody else...everybody else is doing it the wrong way for the most part...be who you wanna be...if people don't like it so what...that's their problem not yours...move on...there's more people in the world...don't let the opinion of a few bother you...you don't need them in your life...they just bring you down....you need people that lift you up....even if the only person doing that is yourself sometimes lol

205mx
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating me!
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
06-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

one minute you're chewing on a burger the next you're dead meat!!!

nobagger
06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That topic is in another forum,lol

nepatsfan
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Had a 45 year old employee a few years ago that did the same thing. He felt compelled in believing the world owed him something.............the teenager syndrome worker.
He had so many problems at home with a wife whom has heart disease, diabetes, etc. The poor man couldn't maintain a calm composure and stay attentive to chores. Needless-to-say the man quit and started his own mowing company. That didn't last long as he was doing the lawns of ours in equal size for 55% less.............all with push mowers.
The man passed away 5 years ago..................never really know what happened to him. The odd thing is......his wife is still alive and doing much better.
The term clinically depressed shouldn't be taken lightly as many American's have this affliction and don't even know it until they fall into a deeper sense of anxiety. Sometimes, the kick to the butt of being fired will jump start their mood...........sometimes it doesn't. This is not your problem.!!!
The other note of him having seisure's, well the medication will draw them down and make them sluggish. After a seizure, the person doesn't remember anything and will not know what happened. EVER!!!
You are doing the right thing as you cannot continue running a failing man hour in hopes to bring a person out of the gutter. If the person isn't willing to make a change for the better, then they don't need the attention. It will definitely bring down the whole crew and the work load.

How did this guy work for you a few years ago if he died 5 years ago?:laugh:

Maybe a weekend at Bernie's type of thing?

Poontamer
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
one minute you're chewing on a burger the next you're dead meat!!!

I f*n love dumb n dumber
Posted via Mobile Device

Northeast Mower
06-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Great movie drop man, love it.

BestImpressions99
06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
You're lucky Jason that you actually pulled out of it. Most people don't. My brother in the past has been on Lithium as an anti-depressant. He's manic/depressive and is attempting to mow lawns a couple hours from us. I really do feel for folks with depression. Especially those in the bread-winner role.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I have this guy who has been with me for basically 2 seasons now and he's always shown up but he is super slow and usually misses the obvious things like the 6" tall grass around a well cap right in the middle of a lawn. He's been told to pick up the pace, quite missing things loose the attitude etc. but the worst thing is he's very unappreciative and is always in a grumpy mood bringing down the rest of the crew. This is the "seizure" guy I wrote about a few months ago, he had a seizure while doing a clean up and I prevented him from falling off a 200ft cliff. Never heard a thanks or anything from that, I bought him lunch a couple times cuz he was depressed about his on again, off again girlfriend, never heard a thanks from that, he's just that type of person but no one can stand him anymore. It took him just under 2 hours to do what took my two other guys about 15 minutes each to do...rake out clippings from a few very small flower beds after pruning. Then when confronted by me as to why its taking him forever he gets a huge attitude with me, yeah its time for him to go. Sorry for the rant.

One of the Top 3 things a good owner needs to become proficient at is firing people. I love firing people for the simple fact that I'm doing myself and them a big favor. I have developed a reputation for results-only work and heavy demands. It works. Good owners fire people when warranted...weak owners keep them on hoping and praying they'll get with the system.

Workers are to be used as a tool by the employer to get something accomplished...pure and simple. Jobs aren't social programs, sorry to break the news to some of you out there. Firing people is necessary to run a business effectively and efficiently. Your guy was showing signs of laziness and neglect...you did the right thing by firing him. You know when it's time. We all, as owners, know when a guy's work isn't meeting standards.

I'm up front and blunt about it...I've got guys waiting in line to trim grass. If you don't do it the way I want it done, I'll get another. And last year I did just that when a Mexican guy said the work was too hard and wanted a pay increase. I told him this was the ceiling on a labor job such as him, this ain't Sprint or GE where you work your way up the ladder and get promotions. I pay $75 per day take it or leave it. I'll never forget this...I said to him that with the snap of my fingers I could replace him. And the next day, bright and early, had another trimmer guy waiting to trim commercial grass in a recession.

All guys out there that are timid about firing have got to get over it. Firing people is part of being a good owner. If you aren't firing people ever so often, you're not looking hard enough.

grass-scapes
06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
How did this guy work for you a few years ago if he died 5 years ago?:laugh:

Maybe a weekend at Bernie's type of thing?

Maybe that explains why he was so slow.

THEGOLDPRO
06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I pay $75 per day take it or leave it.

I cant believe you have a hard time keeping employees happy seeing as how you pay them so good.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Snapper Jack
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
One of the Top 3 things a good owner needs to become proficient at is firing people. I love firing people for the simple fact that I'm doing myself and them a big favor. I have developed a reputation for results-only work and heavy demands. It works. Good owners fire people when warranted...weak owners keep them on hoping and praying they'll get with the system.

Workers are to be used as a tool by the employer to get something accomplished...pure and simple. Jobs aren't social programs, sorry to break the news to some of you out there. Firing people is necessary to run a business effectively and efficiently. Your guy was showing signs of laziness and neglect...you did the right thing by firing him. You know when it's time. We all, as owners, know when a guy's work isn't meeting standards.

I'm up front and blunt about it...I've got guys waiting in line to trim grass. If you don't do it the way I want it done, I'll get another. And last year I did just that when a Mexican guy said the work was too hard and wanted a pay increase. I told him this was the ceiling on a labor job such as him, this ain't Sprint or GE where you work your way up the ladder and get promotions. I pay $75 per day take it or leave it. I'll never forget this...I said to him that with the snap of my fingers I could replace him. And the next day, bright and early, had another trimmer guy waiting to trim commercial grass in a recession.

All guys out there that are timid about firing have got to get over it. Firing people is part of being a good owner. If you aren't firing people ever so often, you're not looking hard enough.

Anyone looking to become employed by you must be facing real hardships for those peanut daily wages you offer:rolleyes:

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone looking to become employed by you must be facing real hardships for those peanut daily wages you offer:rolleyes:

You are exactly correct, for once. I employ those who have made bad decisions in life and now want to correct them. Without guys like me, where would the second chances come from? I'm hearing crickets in the background...where? Not you...

BestImpressions99
06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Actually if you're paying based on a 10 hour day Recession, that's minimum wage. No one can fault you for that.

Honestly it sucks when people make accusations. It's hard to tell someones emotion behind what they're typing... and when you add comments like you do... Sounds like your a jerk... Again... SOUNDS. We don't know you. You could actually be a great boss to work for... just particular and detail oriented.

weeze
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
minimum wage for grass trimming?...that's rediculous...i made $8 per hr back when i worked for a lawn company and minimum wage was like $5.25 back then....now it's up to $7.25 or something now...not sure really....but i would expect to at least make $10 per hour.....could go work somewhere else flipping burgers and make minimum wage...maybe you were talking about 8 hr days...so $10 per hour would be $75 per day if you take 30min lunch.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Actually if you're paying based on a 10 hour day Recession, that's minimum wage. No one can fault you for that.

Honestly it sucks when people make accusations. It's hard to tell someones emotion behind what they're typing... and when you add comments like you do... Sounds like your a jerk... Again... SOUNDS. We don't know you. You could actually be a great boss to work for... just particular and detail oriented.

You can be both you know. Most of the guys who know me from the commercial lawn business and city gov'ment contract work really enjoy my takes. Why? Because deep down they wish they could be this bomastic without repercussions. I'm sort of like the guy you knew in college that could get away with murder in class, got the grades anyway, and everybody wanted to listen up because you knew something fantastic might happen at any moment. That guy is me...pleased to meet ya. I have lived everything from the mortgage sub prime culture to franchise pizza restauranteur. I know business owners up and down most major streets in KC. I know what they make and more importantly...what they don't make and want you to believe they make. So when you get a point of view from a business perspective...trust me...been there done that.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-15-2011, 06:07 PM
minimum wage for grass trimming?...that's rediculous...i made $8 per hr back when i worked for a lawn company and minimum wage was like $5.25 back then....now it's up to $7.25 or something now...not sure really....but i would expect to at least make $10 per hour.....could go work somewhere else flipping burgers and make minimum wage...maybe you were talking about 8 hr days...so $10 per hour would be $75 per day if you take 30min lunch.

i love it when guys say they could go out and flip burgers for more. Not the guys I employ. They have records. Halfway house labor. They can't roll into McDonalds and fill out a resume sheet like you or me. And most have hard labor experience, not retail. The dummies flipping burgers don't have it so great, either. I ran five Wendy's restaurants back in the early 90's...I know what a ***** opening and closing those places are. I'll mow grass every time if its "flipping burgers" vs. outdoor mowing and blowing.

soloscaperman
06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
If your firing people a lot, chances are your the problem.

Snapper Jack
06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
You are exactly correct, for once. I employ those who have made bad decisions in life and now want to correct them. Without guys like me, where would the second chances come from? I'm hearing crickets in the background...where? Not you...
How is doing physical labor baking in the hot sun making at or above minimum wage gonna change there lifes? You're simply running a labor camp exploiting people for you own personal gain,I doubt it very seriouly if you really give a sh#t how their lives get turned about.

soloscaperman
06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
How is doing physical labor baking in the hot sun making at or above minimum wage gonna change there lifes? You're simply running a labor camp exploiting people for you own personal gain,I doubt it very seriouly if you really give a sh#t how their lives get turned about.

Hew reminds me of my old boss, lawn Hitler. He's the kind of LCO that hires people that would steal stuff at the customer's house. I see some of the guys my local LCO's hire and whats funny is that the homes near by are getting robbed at night. I respect my customer's and their lawns, I have standards when it comes to people that go on their property. I wonder how he sleeps at night.....

weeze
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
i love it when guys say they could go out and flip burgers for more. Not the guys I employ. They have records. Halfway house labor. They can't roll into McDonalds and fill out a resume sheet like you or me. And most have hard labor experience, not retail. The dummies flipping burgers don't have it so great, either. I ran five Wendy's restaurants back in the early 90's...I know what a ***** opening and closing those places are. I'll mow grass every time if its "flipping burgers" vs. outdoor mowing and blowing.

i worked at chick-fil-a for 3 1/2 years making minimum wage lol...it was pretty easy other than having to stand on your feet for 4-5 hours...standing on my feet all day is something i've never gotten used to...i worked at an auto plant for 6 years standing on metal grates for 8-10 hours a day...when i got home i just had to sit on my butt to let my feet rest and recoup for the next day...it sucked...which is one reason i quit...at least in this field you are up and down...sitting some of the time and standing some as well...my feet never hurt anymore :cool2:

coopmaster
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I am a one man operation. Reading these posts makes me feel good.

Exact Rototilling
06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
This thread and others like them continue to drive home the point I don't want to expand my business beyond solo. If I was to hire a helper I'd want them to work the route solo when I can't like today and Monday when I'm essentially non functional bed sick.

This is part of the reason there is lack of respect for this profession. Low skill labor etc.

I took a tour of Buck Knives years ago here in Post Falls mainly to scope it out to see if it is something I'd want to do. No thanks rather go back and work as an aircraft mechanic at night.
Posted via Mobile Device