PDA

View Full Version : Which Echo Trimmer

mykayel
06-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I had 2 Echo SRM 2601's, one of them the shaft broke on me because of the extreme trimmer rack (and no engine support at the time), and my other is pretty much crapping out on me as we speak (getting harder and harder to start). So I figured it time for a new one. I was thinking the SRM-230 or the SRM-265S. I don't ever use a brush cutter blade so I don't really need the extra power or the solid shaft for that reason. But I heard there less vibrations with the solid shaft, so that's the only reason I'm leaning towards that one. But its an extra $60. Any opinions?

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
The SRM-230 is bullet proof. Break it in on regular 50:1 oil and after a couple tanks switch to amsoil saber at 80:1 and the thing will run forever and never need the exhaust port or muffler cleaned out (carbon).

onlythebest
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
neither, go for a stilhl i used to love my echo but it lost id say about half its power in a year. and yes i use all the proper additives and oils and gas... i then bought a stihl fs100rx which was the same price as a new echo when i went to my dealer (both on sale for 399 for the echo srm 265t and the stihl fs100rx). i realize its a new trimmer but as far as i can remember the echo never had the power the stihl does. also, the stihl is MUCH easier to start than the echo EVER was.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
neither, go for a stilhl i used to love my echo but it lost id say about half its power in a year. and yes i use all the proper additives and oils and gas... i then bought a stihl fs100rx which was the same price as a new echo when i went to my dealer (both on sale for 399 for the echo srm 265t and the stihl fs100rx). i realize its a new trimmer but as far as i can remember the echo never had the power the stihl does. also, the stihl is MUCH easier to start than the echo EVER was.

Lost power after a year? Ever check the exhaust port or muffler for carbon? I find that hard to believe that it lost power for no reason. Both of my SRM-230 trimmers are 6 and 7 years old and both start easy and run like new and neither one has had an air filter for the last 4 years.

Video from last year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/th_Echo.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/?action=view&current=Echo.mp4)

onlythebest
06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
well actually i was not aware that the exhaust port needed regular cleaning on the echo, i knew that the stihls had more of a problem and took the screen off the new stihl after just a week and found that it was completely filled with carbon. thanks for the tip on the echo im going to go check it out right now and see if i can do any good for it. if this will solve the problem that would be great i usually leave it at home and take the km130 with me but that thing so damn heavy. thanks again ProStreetCamaro

Alan0354
06-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, the 230 is on the small side!!!! If you have 260, maybe should go with 265. From following the track record for over 3 years, in general, Echo seems to come out with new products right the first day, none of the "let the customers do the field test".

If I were you, I would consider Husqvarna 223 for $249. Lighter than 230 but bigger engine. 223 and 326 have very good track records, do a search here and see it yourself..........But that's besides the point.

mykayel
06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I thought about a different brand, but Stihls are heavy and I just don't really like the plastic they use in their handles, and when I was at the dealer, I really didn't like their bump head. I hadn't really thought much about the Husqvarna. But I loved my echo, it lasted me 13 years, (and before recently) was so easy to start. So I thought I'd stay with a proven brand. I might just go with the SRM 230 if that's what everyone is suggesting.

You say that the Husqvarna 223 has a bigger engine than the Echo SRM 230, but does it have more power? Also, how's the bump head on them? That's another thing I really like about the Echo, they have a really good design on their bump head.

Tofutti
06-13-2011, 08:48 PM
From what I've seen/used, the Stihl bump heads are much easier to reload than the Echos but they are just a little harder to advance line from while using (you have to hit just the very center button on the ground) while the Echos can be advanced by hitting just about every angle. This may or may not be a good thing based on the areas you're trimming... IE: doing culverts/ditches/rocky areas.... you may accidentally let out more line than you wanted to with an echo hitting the ground/obstacle. However, I will agree the Stihls are heavier than the echos and if you're not ever going to use it as a brush cutter, than the Echos have plenty enough power or every day trimming. I've never used the Husky's so I can't comment there.

I know we use an old SRM-2100 for just about everything primarily and have another old SRM-2300 for the second person on our trucks and have never had power/starting issues. IMHO, the lightest machine you can find for a reasonable price is the way to go for just normal trimming. Look into the SRM-210... can get them around here for about $200.00 and it's about a 8LB machine... Very comfortable and will do any regular trimming with some small .065 line spooled up. ( Stihl line is cheap and available up here so we run that small green stuff).

J&RLawn
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I recommend the 265t over the 230 any day it's only about a pound heavier and has twice the torque. As far as your shaft breaking all echo's have a lifetime warranty on there shafts. We run the 230 for awhile then switched to the 265t and fell in love with it, there awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

siberslug
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I love my SRM-230, no need for more power and extra weight if your just trimming.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
well actually i was not aware that the exhaust port needed regular cleaning on the echo, i knew that the stihls had more of a problem and took the screen off the new stihl after just a week and found that it was completely filled with carbon. thanks for the tip on the echo im going to go check it out right now and see if i can do any good for it. if this will solve the problem that would be great i usually leave it at home and take the km130 with me but that thing so damn heavy. thanks again ProStreetCamaro

Yeah every echo we have ever owned over the last 30 years had clogged up either the exhaust port or inside the muffler. Each piece of echo equipment has always needed cleaned out 2 to 4 times a year and that goes from trimmers, hedge trimmers and backpack blowers. That was until we switched to amsoil saber at 80:1 ratio. Ran it all last year and everything ran great all year with no need to clean any exhaust ports.

GlynnC
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I have owned an Echo 230 for several years and it has always been very dependable. However, when I read the original post of this thread, I remembered a thread I started last summer--see below.

Flex shaft vs solid shaft trimmers observations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I ran string trimmers for about 5 hours--2 hours with a flex shaft Echo SRM230, and 3 hours with my prize Kawasaki KGT27A (solid shaft). Both units ran great and had plenty of power for the trimming, they had the same type string head, and the same line. Both had their guards on, with string extended to the full length. My observations were a surprise to me--but not to you long term "experienced" guys.

At wide open throttle, both units ran smooth, no noticeable differences, other than the weight of the units (Kaw weighs less). As speed was reduced, there was a very noticeable difference in the vibration, and the sound of the units. I even went to the shop and greased the gearhead and flex shaft just to make sure they were lubricated properly. The flex shaft had much more vibration in the shaft.

I have used my 230 for several years, and have been very pleased with it, still am I guess. But no longer will I discredit you guys who recommend solid shafts

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I have owned an Echo 230 for several years and it has always been very dependable. However, when I read the original post of this thread, I remembered a thread I started last summer--see below.

Flex shaft vs solid shaft trimmers observations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I ran string trimmers for about 5 hours--2 hours with a flex shaft Echo SRM230, and 3 hours with my prize Kawasaki KGT27A (solid shaft). Both units ran great and had plenty of power for the trimming, they had the same type string head, and the same line. Both had their guards on, with string extended to the full length. My observations were a surprise to me--but not to you long term "experienced" guys.

At wide open throttle, both units ran smooth, no noticeable differences, other than the weight of the units (Kaw weighs less). As speed was reduced, there was a very noticeable difference in the vibration, and the sound of the units. I even went to the shop and greased the gearhead and flex shaft just to make sure they were lubricated properly. The flex shaft had much more vibration in the shaft.

I have used my 230 for several years, and have been very pleased with it, still am I guess. But no longer will I discredit you guys who recommend solid shafts

I dont know about that to be honest. I just picked up a new redmax with solid shaft and my SRM-230 trimmers are way smoother. The redmax is actually making my hand go to sleep during extended periods of trimming.

onlythebest
06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
just took the screen completely out and the machine sounds like it has quite a lot more power. it also doesn't take as long to get up to full speed. thanks again...

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
just took the screen completely out and the machine sounds like it has quite a lot more power. it also doesn't take as long to get up to full speed. thanks again...

Your welcome! :drinkup:

PTP
06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I run the SRM 230. I really like it but here are a couple of tips.

1. Wrap the trigger handle with friction tape (it is with the electrical tape at Lowes). This will keep the soft foam from getting ripped up.

2. Unbolt the spark plug guard part way and stick an old sock in it so that your arm has something to rest on while trimming. This will keep you from getting burned.

The one I use has trimmed at least 10,000 lawns and is still going strong.

Alan0354
06-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I thought about a different brand, but Stihls are heavy and I just don't really like the plastic they use in their handles, and when I was at the dealer, I really didn't like their bump head. I hadn't really thought much about the Husqvarna. But I loved my echo, it lasted me 13 years, (and before recently) was so easy to start. So I thought I'd stay with a proven brand. I might just go with the SRM 230 if that's what everyone is suggesting.

You say that the Husqvarna 223 has a bigger engine than the Echo SRM 230, but does it have more power? Also, how's the bump head on them? That's another thing I really like about the Echo, they have a really good design on their bump head.

First off, I agree that Echo is very good and I have good experience with Echo. I believe the 223 and 326 are 1.2hp....if my memory serve me right. That is a lot of power for a 25cc engine. Do a search and you'll find many people praise not only how durable they are, but also how powerful they are.

But if you feel more comfortable with Echo go with Echo. 230 has the old 2 ring Tornado engine that has been around for a long time. It is just the 22.8cc bugs me a little. I tend to go with the 265 unless you already have a big trimmer for big jobs. I though I just throw Husky in the mix because of the good price and light weight.

Exact Rototilling
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Hasn't the 210 been out of production for sometime...?

I have the 210 230 and Pas 265. From what I've seen/used, the Stihl bump heads are much easier to reload than the Echos but they are just a little harder to advance line from while using (you have to hit just the very center button on the ground) while the Echos can be advanced by hitting just about every angle. This may or may not be a good thing based on the areas you're trimming... IE: doing culverts/ditches/rocky areas.... you may accidentally let out more line than you wanted to with an echo hitting the ground/obstacle. However, I will agree the Stihls are heavier than the echos and if you're not ever going to use it as a brush cutter, than the Echos have plenty enough power or every day trimming. I've never used the Husky's so I can't comment there.

I know we use an old SRM-2100 for just about everything primarily and have another old SRM-2300 for the second person on our trucks and have never had power/starting issues. IMHO, the lightest machine you can find for a reasonable price is the way to go for just normal trimming. Look into the SRM-210... can get them around here for about $200.00 and it's about a 8LB machine... Very comfortable and will do any regular trimming with some small .065 line spooled up. ( Stihl line is cheap and available up here so we run that small green stuff).
Posted via Mobile Device

TNGrassCutter
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I have a srm 225 Ive had for 3 years, a srm 265, and a pas 265, all run good. My dealer doesn't carry many 230s in stock because the price is o close to the 265 and you get more power. When I got my pas 265 I was going to get the 230 but they didn't have one so I got the 265 and I'm glad I did. Much better power than the 225 but not really heavy when trimming a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlynnC
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I dont know about that to be honest. I just picked up a new redmax with solid shaft and my SRM-230 trimmers are way smoother. The redmax is actually making my hand go to sleep during extended periods of trimming.

How can you say my observations were not honest--they were my observations. You may not agree with them, and that's okay, they were my observations, not yours!!!!

I've also had a solid shaft put my hand to sleep--in a very short time. It was a Stihl FS80--see thread started on this subject:

(Stihl FS80 makes my hand go numb!

I was using my newly acquired FS80 (newer model) to edge mulch beds. After just a few minutes, my throttle hand went totally numb. Within 30 seconds of returning to normal trimming position, the feeling came back. This occurred several times in a row. I then had some heavy trimming and went to full throttle--same problem with hand going numb.

Swithched to the Kaw KGT27A, no problems for the rest of the day.

Today, I switched the gearbox and drive shaft with an older Stihl I have--same problem with numbness--apparently due to viberation.

Any fixs for this problem? I love the way the FS80 runs and hate to not have it in service!!)

I later changed the outer shaft and the problem went away.

I have had very good service from my Echo 230,s--liked my first one enough to buy 2 more when our local HD was clearing the "old style" gray ones for $100 so they could stock the new orange 230's--same trimmer, different color.

Tofutti
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Hasn't the 210 been out of production for sometime...?

I have the 210 230 and Pas 265.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure if it's out of production or not but our local Echo dealer still has new 210's hanging up. Odd though, you may be right, as I peruse the Echo website, they show they start at a 225. May not have been too long ago that they stopped production on the 210 because, our dealer does a good amount of volume, and I would think that he would have sold out of them if it were a couple years ago or something that Echo killed 'em.

Interesting though, Maybe they just changed the model #'s again... the old SRM-2100's were a 21.2cc... changed model number system in '98 to the SRM-210 (still 21.2cc). I'm seeing the *new* SRM-225 as a 21.2cc as well... looks like about the same machine really.

Good question/post... got me thinking now lol

GlynnC
06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if it's out of production or not but our local Echo dealer still has new 210's hanging up. Odd though, you may be right, as I peruse the Echo website, they show they start at a 225. May not have been too long ago that they stopped production on the 210 because, our dealer does a good amount of volume, and I would think that he would have sold out of them if it were a couple years ago or something that Echo killed 'em.

Interesting though, Maybe they just changed the model #'s again... the old SRM-2100's were a 21.2cc... changed model number system in '98 to the SRM-210 (still 21.2cc). I'm seeing the *new* SRM-225 as a 21.2cc as well... looks like about the same machine really.

Good question/post... got me thinking now lol

Alan should be posting soon on the differences in the 210 and 225. I think the 210 did go out about 2 years ago. Even though they are the same size engine, I think the 210 was a 2 ring piston, the 225 is 1 ring.

The 210 has been highly praised as a good trimmer--don't know about the 225, maybe because it's fairly new.

ed2hess
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM

So you never figured out how to adjust a echo carb:confused: If you expect all these handheld to run perfect at every temp condition forget it that ain't going to happen any more. Those engine are starved for gas to pass epa.

onlythebest
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
i just ran some seafoam thru it and its running much better. would you be willing to tell me exactly how to adjust the carb as im not sure i know how on this specific machine. any help would be great...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Husqvarna 223 = 1.01hp

d1live
06-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Iam looking for something for my Dad and Mom for their 350 farm, I still use my Husqvarna 325 but am considering the 223 at $249 or the 327 at $299. I looked hard at the Echos because my old 2310 ( almost 20 years old) is still running like new. Most of their trimming is heavy grass around the building where the hay mower cant reach and also trimming around the ponds. Using my 325 and Gatorline (titanium stuff) I have now use for a blade, if I did I carry my chainsaw or their OLD Shindiawa that leaks gas and is heavy with little power. Does anyone know if the 223 is the same as the old 325? They sure look the same in size ect ect.

Alan0354
06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Iam looking for something for my Dad and Mom for their 350 farm, I still use my Husqvarna 325 but am considering the 223 at $249 or the 327 at $299. I looked hard at the Echos because my old 2310 ( almost 20 years old) is still running like new. Most of their trimming is heavy grass around the building where the hay mower cant reach and also trimming around the ponds. Using my 325 and Gatorline (titanium stuff) I have now use for a blade, if I did I carry my chainsaw or their OLD Shindiawa that leaks gas and is heavy with little power. Does anyone know if the 223 is the same as the old 325? They sure look the same in size ect ect.

I don't know 325. I can tell you it is different from 326 or 327. The 326/327 have more parts in the engine. I cannot tell from the IPL but it is there. They do share common piston assemble from the part number. I believe 223 has less bearing in the trimmer head also. Don't quote me on this, I think the 223 is flex drive.

I follow Husky here for a long time, nothing but raving reviews on the 223 and 326 as commercial trimmers. It also really help they price them right and they are super light.

Merkava_4
06-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Echo has the best IPL's. That's something worth mentioning. :)

MONINAMONEY
06-18-2011, 08:31 AM
look at the top of the carb. there will be a bolt with a rubber or brass plug in the center. use a dental pick or similar device to remove the plug. purchase a set of screw drivers for glasses. There will be a small screw inside turn 1/8 to 1/4 at a time and test. I had this done to mine because it took 5 minutes to warm up before I could pull the throttle completely with out it turning off.
( a little goes a long way with this) doing this will also void your warranty.

i just ran some seafoam thru it and its running much better. would you be willing to tell me exactly how to adjust the carb as im not sure i know how on this specific machine. any help would be great...

d1live
06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Now Iam looking at the Shindiawa T242X, it has a steel shaft and can use a blade, Iam not sure about the new Husky's, most have a flex cable.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
I used to buy all Echo. Then, after having owned ?5? Echo trimmers and having them all struggle with carb issues after year 2, I went to Stihl - and there'll be no going back. I like the Echo's padded handle, but the Stihl 4-mixes are shweet (so I just swap handles). I just did in an FS90R and now have an FS130R. Unstoppable power. Love it.

Alan0354
06-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Now Iam looking at the Shindiawa T242X, it has a steel shaft and can use a blade, Iam not sure about the new Husky's, most have a flex cable.

As a owner of the M242, I would not buy it again if I were to do it all over. I don't have big problems, but the choke fail, gas pickup problem when use as pole hedge trimmer, cold nature, gutless. Man!!! My 25cc 4 cycle Troybilt really kick the bud of the DShindaiwa. I am serious, power wise, it cannot hold candle to the Troybilt. AND my Troybilt has better track record than this one!!!

I can live with it, but I also hear a lot of complains about carb issue and other problems on the T242. Be care buying both T242 or T282. From the reviews here, they are nothing like the old trusted T260, T270 or T230.

Read the reviews on Husky here, do a search. You see nothing but raving reviews on 223L and 326L that is still in production. If I were to buy a new trimer, it would be the 326.

KINGMADE
06-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Had a nice echo but the unprotected throttle trigger pissed me off when it would break so I when I needed a new string trimmer I switched to stihl. I even bought the lower end commercial FS90 and this thing will walk circles around my echo. The only downfall... it loves gas.

Alan0354
06-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Had a nice echo but the unprotected throttle trigger pissed me off when it would break so I when I needed a new string trimmer I switched to stihl. I even bought the lower end commercial FS90 and this thing will walk circles around my echo. The only downfall... it loves gas.

FS90 is not low end commercial!!! The engine is quite big also.

d1live
06-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I ended up buying a Husqvarna 323L, lightweight and plenty of power, it is almost identical to my 11 year old 325L which has been a beast and still runs right with the new one. The 323 does have alittle dead stop about half throttle and seems more cold natured than my older model. I got it and a grass blade kit for $309.99, I could have got the 326L for $20 more but wasnt sure why it looked bigger but still had the same specs as far as 1.2 HP 24.5CC at 9lbs. Iam happy and my Dad and Mom loved it, especially because I ran a tank of gas through it and it looked like I cut for hours through grass, multifour rose brushes and other tough weeds around the barns and hayfields, it will get a work out on 350 acres but it will survive, I may not lol... Thanks For All The Help, Ill keep reading, I may go back and get myself that 326L if you guys think its better :)

Alan0354
06-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I ended up buying a Husqvarna 323L, lightweight and plenty of power, it is almost identical to my 11 year old 325L which has been a beast and still runs right with the new one. The 323 does have alittle dead stop about half throttle and seems more cold natured than my older model. I got it and a grass blade kit for $309.99, I could have got the 326L for $20 more but wasnt sure why it looked bigger but still had the same specs as far as 1.2 HP 24.5CC at 9lbs. Iam happy and my Dad and Mom loved it, especially because I ran a tank of gas through it and it looked like I cut for hours through grass, multifour rose brushes and other tough weeds around the barns and hayfields, it will get a work out on 350 acres but it will survive, I may not lol... Thanks For All The Help, Ill keep reading, I may go back and get myself that 326L if you guys think its better :)

That is normal. CARB is killing the 2 cycles. THe newer the model, the worst it is. I bet Shindaiwa trimmer are a lot worst, People still talking about the good old T260 that make Shindy famous. The new ones are just totally different. From my research, New Husky fair a lot better already.