PDA

View Full Version : Have Exmarks Changed Since 2006?

kubotafan
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
We do not have many zero turns in this area but I am shopping for one. I saw a used 2006 Exmark, model number: LAS25KC604

What does this correspond to in the 2011 lineup? What changes have been made in 5 years and are there changes that would make a new model more desireable?

THEGOLDPRO
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
They are night and day diffrent, There is literally zero parts on a new lazer that are the same as an old lazer.

cookslandscaping18
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
i demoed a new one that was 52" deck and 27 hp kohler and i would not trade them my mower straight up for it it was horrible. It bogged down in the grass and didnt hold hills any better. The cut is the same no better just not what i was expecting no really inpressed at all

soloscaperman
06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
i demoed a new one that was 52" deck and 27 hp kohler and i would not trade them my mower straight up for it it was horrible. It bogged down in the grass and didnt hold hills any better. The cut is the same no better just not what i was expecting no really inpressed at all

I have an 08 Lazer with the 27HP kohler on my rider and she don't bog down, thing hauls a** and wheelies by only moving the control 1/4 way. To be honest, the new lazers are ugly!

vanncann
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Have had both the '07 and the '11 eXmark Lazer's, They are pretty much the same mower. Parts maybe not!!!, overall the older one does a better job cutting than the new one. As for duration the new one has around 200 hrs and has had no problems YET! The old one cut's a hell of alot better!!! WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER EXMARK FOR ANY REASON!!!

hackitdown
06-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I just bought a new Lazer to replace a 5 year old Lazer HP. It is completely different. Fewer grease points, integrated pump/wheelmotors, higher seat, single gas tank under the seat, different deck lift setup, $1300 more, bigger tires, faster cutting speed, you name it. I think it is a very big improvement.

kubotafan
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Have had both the '07 and the '11 eXmark Lazer's, They are pretty much the same mower. Parts maybe not!!!, overall the older one does a better job cutting than the new one. As for duration the new one has around 200 hrs and has had no problems YET! The old one cut's a hell of alot better!!! WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER EXMARK FOR ANY REASON!!!

I just bought a new Lazer to replace a 5 year old Lazer HP. It is completely different. Fewer grease points, integrated pump/wheelmotors, higher seat, single gas tank under the seat, different deck lift setup, $1300 more, bigger tires, faster cutting speed, you name it. I think it is a very big improvement.

Sometimes I get confused......:confused: :dizzy:

THEGOLDPRO
06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I own an 08 and an 2011 lazer z both 60 inch cut, i cant tell you with 100% confidence that the 2011 is a better machine, its lighter,better balanced, more compact,more agile, does better on hills,spins the tires less,cuts much better in the wet grass,is faster,has less grease points,scalps less,and everything in between. it is 100%a better mower hands down.

GMLC
06-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Take a look at Goldpro's stripe pic thread. He knows his exmarks and the pictures speak for themselves. Some of the best stripes I have seen on this site hands down. And I'm a scag fan!
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
06-15-2011, 09:49 PM
They are completely different for the better. My 09 has 800 hrs. I have had Kawasaki problems, but the mower is bullet proof.
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
To me plastic pulleys on the deck to break, less grease fittings so stuff can wear out even quicker, smaller fuel tank so you can carry a gas can to get thru the day, shorter wheelbase for a rougher ride, are all turn offs. I have had 3 lazers, but now a hustler and a walker. If i could afford 18k instead of 12k i would have bought a scag instead of a hustler, but i still feel the hustler is better than an exmark, i guess time will tell.

GravelyGuy
06-15-2011, 10:07 PM
I agree that plastic pulleys are BS, mine are still going strong though. I don't know why everyone worries about grease points. The sealed bearings have proven themselves to last. Maybe if you plan to keep the mower for 3000 hrs you should worry? My 12 gallon tank last 6+hrs. That's a long day on a ZTR. I like the short wheelbase, it makes it almost impossible to scalp.

I am getting ready to demo a 900 series Deere, but nobody else even comes close to the new lazers with handling and hills. My exmark does far less turf damage than other 60" ztrs. I mow 2000 square foot lawns with it and they turn out beautiful. I also love the way exmark hangs the deck as far to the left as possible for getting up close.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
We do not have many zero turns in this area but I am shopping for one. I saw a used 2006 Exmark, model number: LAS25KC604

What does this correspond to in the 2011 lineup? What changes have been made in 5 years and are there changes that would make a new model more desireable?

2006 Exmark came out with the Triton deck and it only cut well in places like florida. The deck had a bunch of updates but now it's discontinued if that tells you anything. So if you can find out if it has the Triton stay away, if it is the Ultra Cut deck it's ok.

THEGOLDPRO
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
2006 Exmark came out with the Triton deck and it only cut well in places like florida. The deck had a bunch of updates but now it's discontinued if that tells you anything. So if you can find out if it has the Triton stay away, if it is the Ultra Cut deck it's ok.

My 08 lazer has the triton and once i ripped the useless baffles out from under the deck it was one of the best cutting decks i have owned.

cutbetterthanyou
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't know why everyone worries about grease points. The sealed bearings have proven themselves to last. Maybe if you plan to keep the mower for 3000 hrs you should worry.

I am getting ready to demo a 900 series Deere, but nobody else even comes close to the new lazers with handling and hills. My exmark does far less turf damage than other 60" ztrs. I mow 2000 square foot lawns with it and they turn out beautiful. I also love the way exmark hangs the deck as far to the left as possible for getting up close.
Posted via Mobile Device

As far as the grease points go, on my old lazers i would have to put in atleast one splindle bearing on it once a year. A scag i owned had geaseable spindles, and had 1600 hrs on it when i sold it with the same bearings. Hopefully i can keep mine way past 3000 hours.

As far as hills i couldn't give a input flat ground here

That offset on the deck is great, why don't everone do that. You think that a 60 is good you should get on a 72. It seems like a foot of over hang, if you have a good bed edge you don't really need to trim.

MJB
06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
My 08 lazer has the triton and once i ripped the useless baffles out from under the deck it was one of the best cutting decks i have owned.

I heard they had improved them by 2008 but in 06 everyone was mad. If I were buying an 06 I would want to see it cut with or without the baffles. I have an 08 with the Ultracut and love it. But sounds like the 2011 will be worth looking into, my 08 spins the tires to much on hills.
Which model did you buy ?

MJB
06-15-2011, 10:52 PM
As far as the grease points go, on my old lazers i would have to put in atleast one splindle bearing on it once a year. A scag i owned had geaseable spindles, and had 1600 hrs on it when i sold it with the same bearings. Hopefully i can keep mine way past 3000 hours.

As far as hills i couldn't give a input flat ground here

That offset on the deck is great, why don't everone do that. You think that a 60 is good you should get on a 72. It seems like a foot of over hang, if you have a good bed edge you don't really need to trim.

How old were these Lazers with the weak spindles? My 1999 needs new spindles after 12 yrs. They were the sealed spindles too. I just got my new spindles in today, they to are sealed, but I doubt they will hold up like the originals.

THEGOLDPRO
06-15-2011, 10:58 PM
I heard they had improved them by 2008 but in 06 everyone was mad. If I were buying an 06 I would want to see it cut with or without the baffles. I have an 08 with the Ultracut and love it. But sounds like the 2011 will be worth looking into, my 08 spins the tires to much on hills.
Which model did you buy ?

Yea they made a few changes upto 2008 to try and help the deck cut better, mine had all the updates and still cut like piss, once i ripped the 3 baffles from under the deck it was a whole new machine, and i fell in love with it.

My new one is an 2011 lazer 60 inch with the 29kohler efi.

MJB
06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Yea they made a few changes upto 2008 to try and help the deck cut better, mine had all the updates and still cut like piss, once i ripped the 3 baffles from under the deck it was a whole new machine, and i fell in love with it.

My new one is an 2011 lazer 60 inch with the 29kohler efi.

If you don'tmind my asking, what did that cost ? I like that Kohler efi but never had one.

THEGOLDPRO
06-15-2011, 11:05 PM
It cost 12k out the door. would have been 13k and some change but i bought it on the spring deal.

nolanjim
06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I have 4000hrs on my lazer with original spindle and bearings.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I have 4000hrs on my lazer with original spindle and bearings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool, Mine are right at 4200 hrs and still working, I grabbed one of the blades
and it had a lot of play in it, but the cut was still pretty good. So I ordered 3 new spindles for under $100 each, I should get another 1500 hrs out of this mower before retiring it.

cutbetterthanyou
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
How old were these Lazers with the weak spindles? My 1999 needs new spindles after 12 yrs. They were the sealed spindles too. I just got my new spindles in today, they to are sealed, but I doubt they will hold up like the originals.

Can't remember the year of them ,but 1 was around 04-05 the other was around 00-01. I had around 2000hrs on the one and around 1800 on the other.

hackitdown
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I have 1500 hours on an '05 with original sealed spindles. No problemo.

Back in the 60's and '70s, cars and trucks needed to be greased regularly, too. Now everything is sealed. Huge improvement. More reliable. Easier and cheaper to maintain.

nolanjim
06-16-2011, 03:34 PM
I think the key is to not pressure wash them. They don't have zerk but we do grease the outside joints just to keep water out.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
06-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I think the key is to not pressure wash them. They don't have zerk but we do grease the outside joints just to keep water out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree 100%. I think one of the main variables in determining how long deck spindle bearings last is whether or not the deck is washed regularly, how it's washed, and what it's washed with (garden hose or pressure washer).

hackitdown
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree 100%. I think one of the main variables in determining how long deck spindle bearings last is whether or not the deck is washed regularly, how it's washed, and what it's washed with (garden hose or pressure washer).

Interesting. I have never power washed (rarely even wash) and my spindles have not failed.

MJB
06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Interesting. I have never power washed (rarely even wash) and my spindles have not failed.

Good thing. If you pressure wash them you'll get water into them. I never pressure wash mine either but I do park the deck over a sprinkler from time to time. No failures either.