PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Lawn You've Seen Cut With a Push Mower?

SoloSulkySurfer
06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Im on a rain break but after talking to my uncle I am wondering what the biggest property you have seen (or cut) with a 21"/22" push mower? He cuts his 1/2 acre with a 21", I keep telling him to get a used 48" WB but he doesnt listen.

dboyd351
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I cut my one acre lot several times with a 21 push mower, but only because I was waiting for the fall sales to start on mowing equipment.

JB1
06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
see the picture of my yard in my signature, a few years ago, I had my son cutting it with a 21" push mower, he wasn't doing good in school so I had to get his attention, no sooner than he got done it was almost time to cut it again, and it worked' I got his attention.

Think Green
06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I have seen a 5 acre upper scale lawn cut with a 3 man crew team of 5 men each.
All bagging........zoysia grass. Elaborate shaped beds and a ton of line trimming.

alf500series
06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
i went to college at college of the ozarks here in missouri and the campus was cut with primarily push mowers--granted it was crews of 7+ guys at time but still alot of ground to cover with push mowers and weed eaters

Skidpad
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
My yard is approx. 2 acres. I had my 13 yr old son cut it several times in the last 8 months with my old Honda HR-215SXA mower. He took several relatively short breaks while cutting, but each time it took him approx. 6 hrs to cut it all (breaks included). It was good for him.... :-)

Now it takes 1:15 with my new ZTR...
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
3.5 acres while the ZTR was in the shop. (Partial Pic)

I heard a story once that a guy did a 20 acre open field with a 52" Walk-Behind and no sulky. Something like 5-6 days or so. Also heard that they cut the White House with Locke reel mowers. Probably a crew of 20 or something like it.

Ridin' Green
06-14-2011, 11:25 PM
My dad had for 40 years (until he passed away) 2.5 acres or so, and after his Jacobsen tractor started having some problems after about 20 years of use, began push mowing it. He did it for a couple years before he decided that he ought to get another rider. He was in his mid to late 60's at the time, and he pushed it as often as the conditions dictated. The land is fairly flat, with some shallow ditches left over from furrows made years before when the property was farmed. It may have been flat, but I can tell you first hand from both more recent times, and riding it as a kid growing up there, that it was rough as heck to ride or walk. It was also wide open, and when the sun was beating down, it was hot. I always marveled that he could do it over and over. I did it for him once or twice, and I can say with authority, that it is a lot of work! He wanted the excercise, and he got it.

topsites
06-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Folks in my necks take on acre lots with a 21", not that I'd recommend it
but 1/2 acre really isn't that much of a challenge, I'm just spoiled.

Now back to the story...
The fish was THIS >[--------------------]< BIG!

MJS
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Biggest lawn we ever cut with a 21" is about 1/2 acre backyard. It has two 30" gates, because everyone knows that 30" gates are so popular nowadays.

The pay more than compensates for the trouble on that account.

Grubrunner
06-15-2011, 12:49 AM
see the picture of my yard in my signature, a few years ago, I had my son cutting it with a 21" push mower, he wasn't doing good in school so I had to get his attention, no sooner than he got done it was almost time to cut it again, and it worked' I got his attention.

That's rough, man....

STIHL GUY
06-15-2011, 06:44 AM
That's rough, man....

i bet it didnt take long for him to get the message after that though:laugh:

Roger
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
When I started, I used a 21" Snapper for lots that were 1/2 to 3/4 A. I had one property that was 1.5A. All were mowed with the 21" snapper. The next season, I bought my Exmark 36" w/b.

Currently, the owner across the street from my house mows his 1.2A with a 21" hand mower -- does a great job, looks great. Another friend of mine has 1.25A, 0.75A in an open field -- mows it with a 21" Honda.

You use what you have, and make it work, even mowing large properties with a 21" hand mower. No big deal.

chuacro
06-16-2011, 12:48 AM
When I grew up we lived next to Grandma. Total of about 4 ac. for both yards. It took me and my brother about 2 days to mow. Yeah of course we took our time. Grandma would give us some money to go the local store for a pop and snack. Teach a kid a lesson and do not abuse them. 40 years later I am in the business. I guess I just ask for abuse.

KINGMADE
06-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Personally cut 3/4th with a push... in Texas heat. Will not do it again.

Century Landscape
06-16-2011, 01:49 AM
When I was starting out, I used to cut all my yards with a good ole Snapper hi vac 21" , including my 1 acre lot. Man that was brutal. I got tired of being "slowed down" by the self propel, so I just removed the belt and extra pulleys and manually "propelled" it :weightlifter: Man I don't miss those days!

greendoctor
06-16-2011, 04:32 AM
5 acres seashore paspalum cut at 1/4' with a 27" walk behind reel. 100 + coconut trees in the lawn and all kinds of beds and obstacles. One man 16 hours.

GravyTrain
06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
5 acres seashore paspalum cut at 1/4' with a 27" walk behind reel. 100 + coconut trees in the lawn and all kinds of beds and obstacles. One man 16 hours.

I want to see a picture of the results of that lot...wow.

what has this world come to? When I was a kid (15-20 years ago), mowing the yard wasn't punishment, it's how I earned the food on my plate for dinner and the bed I slept in at night. (slight exaggeration, but I sure wasn't getting paid for it...love you mom and dad).

YourYardGuy
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
In my first season I mowed just under 2 acres with a honda 21".

Mowingman
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Just today, I saw a guy mowing a place with a 21" push mower, that had me thinking the heat was tricking me.
There is a closed down car dealership up the street from my shop. It has about 3.5 acres of asphalt and an additional acre of crushed stone. This place has been vacant for about 7 years and the asphalt is all cracked and broken. Grass and weeds are growing all across it, and on the gravel part too. There was a guy out there at daylight this morning, with a 21" push mower, scalping the weeds and grass off of that paved lot. I just went past there a few minutes ago, and he has about 1/2 of it mowed. So, he has been out there pushing that mower for almost 7 hours. What AN IDIOT. I sure would like to know what he is getting paid for that job.
I guess I should have asked him. I am going to grind a couple of stumps there, so when I drove in, I drove right past him. He just waved, and kept on pushing. It looked like a typical 21" Walmart special mower.

Roger
06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
The "microwave syndrome" is alive and well in this thread.

Kreios
06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
When I was a teenager I use to cut my aunts 7 acres with a 21 inch murray
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
06-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I want to see a picture of the results of that lot...wow.

what has this world come to? When I was a kid (15-20 years ago), mowing the yard wasn't punishment, it's how I earned the food on my plate for dinner and the bed I slept in at night. (slight exaggeration, but I sure wasn't getting paid for it...love you mom and dad).

It looked like a putting green. Sadly, because that property was being maintained by my former employer, who I left back in 2007, the lawn looks like hell. You can cut grass like how they do on a golf course, but the fertilization and pest control program needs to be equal to that of a golf course.

PTP
06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
While these are not technically cut with a 21" pushmower, you might still find this interesting.

When I was in Honduras, I witnessed a man maintaining the outside 10'-15' of a soccer field with a machete. He would be on his knees, take a cut, put the grass in a wheel barrow, and cut again. He sharpened his machete alot. He used to cut 5 acres or so that way until the owners got an old snapper rider.

In Burma, I was in a sort of tower and looked down at the grounds. The grass had a really strange pattern to it - kind of like a tractor tread but way to big. I found out that they had been cutting several acres with a trimmer. Lawnmowers aren't very high on the priority list over there.

grassman177
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
i have a rich banker who cuts his lawn(we spray it) with a push mower.....it is 30K sqft:laugh:

dboyd351
06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
When I was a teenager I use to cut my aunts 7 acres with a 21 inch murray
Posted via Mobile Device

I think we have a winner!!!:clapping:

For the non-USA category, the 5 acres with a machete sounds like the top contender!:drinkup:

txgrassguy
06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
The largest expanse I have ever seen cut with 21" mowers was an eleven acre athletic complex.
Work release dipshits, you know the dui/minor drug charge reects who can't pay their fines, were looking for work and the county turned them loose at the complex.
Ended up being the most ragged, ugly, un-uniform mow job I have ever seen.

When I worked at Augusta National I routinely mowed three putting greens whose total size was just over two acres with a 22" Jac walk behind greens mower. Sometimes a double cut and sometimes a triple cut. Took about three and a half hours with no breaks allowed. One of the reasons I don't work there now.