PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Painting

Ijustwantausername
06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section but does/did anyone ever paint lawns? What problems did you run into? Do you recommend a backpack sprayer or a regular skid to apply? I am thinking of starting a new vertical for my business. Thanks!!

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Never seen it around here (NC) but when I was in California, I saw it done both ways. Multiple guys with backpack sprayers, and big operations with the skids. I guess it all boils down to how much $$$ you have.

rwreuter
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
you have got to kidding!!!

topsites
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
you have got to kidding!!!

I consider it a waste of resources and an ecological disaster as well.

weeze
06-14-2011, 11:32 PM
lol...funny stuff...why not just water the grass with irrigation?

Ijustwantausername
06-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I consider it a waste of resources and an ecological disaster as well.

Waste of resources, Ecological disaster?? Explain? The product claims to not harm lawns, pets or plants. If that's the case then it makes more sense from an ecological perspective to apply that than to apply herbicides and pesticides to green your lawn...

JB1
06-14-2011, 11:35 PM
marketed right , it might do pretty good.

Lugnut
06-14-2011, 11:37 PM
its usually used on warm season grasses that go dormant due to temperature, not so much water. Is somewhat common on golf courses around the transition zone, states such as virginia.

Lugnut
06-14-2011, 11:38 PM
^response to jason's post

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, people have been doing it for years, especially out west in the deserts and drought areas. It was thought to be hazardous at first, but now they basically use vegetable dye, so they say it's non-toxic and completely safe. I personally have no experience with it, but when I saw it for the first 5-10 times, I stopped and asked about it. Kinda wild.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/10grass.html?_r=2

http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2011/04/in-effort-to-get-grass-green-homeowners-paint-their-lawn.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32220555/Foreclosure_Business_Boom_Lawn_Painting

weeze
06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
i think if i lived in an area like that i would just have a yard of those white rocks used in flower beds...and just forget about grass altogether lol

agrostis
06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I have seen some bermuda target greens on a driving range painted green in the winter and i thought that up close they looked pretty fake. They had to repaint every thirty days to maintain the color.

ed2hess
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
If it is a small area we use backpack....but hard to get it as green as those
pictures show with Lesco paint.

Brett's Lawn Care
06-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I always thought they were spaying some sort of a liquid fert, is that not what it is?
Fert w/ some "paint"
Posted via Mobile Device

jshardy
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Did you decide to do the grass painting? How is it going?

clayslandscape
01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I have actually had several customers as about this product. They all have Zoysia grass. I live in Va. Where do you get the mix from?

JBNC
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
I've seen some lawns around here(Central NC) that are painted green in the winter. Every one I have seen looks horrible, I don't know if it's an application issue or the fact that the paint was fading and they needed to be redone. Either way, it just looked incredibly fake to me.

Turf Logic
02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Believe it or not the trick is to mix flat black latex exterior house paint with the lesco paint. John deere landscapes has a write up for it. I was really against it because every example I had seen looks terrible. We had a client that had three model homes who insisted that we do it. We used the ratio from JDL and it looked awesome.

Bates Lawn Care
12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Believe it or not the trick is to mix flat black latex exterior house paint with the lesco paint. John deere landscapes has a write up for it. I was really against it because every example I had seen looks terrible. We had a client that had three model homes who insisted that we do it. We used the ratio from JDL and it looked awesome.
I know this is an old thread but do you know where I could find that link ? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

XC skier
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I tried this about 15 years ago when a severe drought caused everything to go dormant. I used a bp sprayer, but it was difficult to color evenly and the real tricky part was trying to make money at it. Most who are concerned about a nice lawn have irrigation and those who could benefit from it sure aren't going to for it. I tried offering mulch coloring which is more practical but, again it's a tough sell and even tougher to make enough money to bother with.