PDA

View Full Version : do dealers give deals anymore ?

HHlandscaping
06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
So Last week I buy a climbing saw $330 from one dealer and a extended hedge

trimmer from another dealer $425 and the only reason I bought from another

was because I was on a job which was close to it and needed a second

trimmer. so on thursday my older blower started acting up ebz8001 4yrs old ..I

said its time to bite the bullet and buy one . I called both dealers and said her I

bought blank from you earlier in the week. how much for a new back pack

cash? and they both said the list price . when I first started a dealer used to

throw me a deal on a couple pieces. . what do you guys think ?

mowerbrad
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Dealers don't make much on handheld equipment, the profit margins are minimal...usually around 15%. Most dealers won't budge on the list prices of their handhelds unless you buy multiple at the same time or in conjunction with larger equipment.

How do you feel as a business owner when a customer baulks at the price you quote them for mowing? Even if that customer accepts your price, you probably aren't going to go out of your way to make them happy if they have a problem. Now if a customer happily accepts your price, you will probably do a little more to make sure that they are WELL taken care of each and every week. So when you walk into your dealer to buy a piece of equipment and start trying to beat them down on their price or continue to ask if they can do any better because you baught XXXXX from them, they probably aren't going to be as happy to help you when the time comes that you need service. Where as the guy who just pays their price and doesn't try to make them give him a better price, the dealer will probably be more much more happy to help him out.

Take this for example...I have bought 2 fully loaded commercial mowers, a backpack leaf blower, a hedge trimmer, multiple kombi attachments, a power washer and all of my supplies (oil, blades, filters, etc) from my John Deere dealer, never once did I try to get them to come down on their price. Just the other week I had a sidewall on my tire blow, so I was out my main mower. Called my dealer who ordered a new tire for me. I brought in the rim and my dealer puts on the new tire while I wait. I asked the service manager how much I owed him (tire was $95 and install was $20), I was thinking about $120 or so, but he proceeds to tell me that he is going to warranty the repair for me so I don't have to pay for it out of pocket.

I find that if I don't complain about price or every little thing, my dealer is much more apt to help me out when I need it. Its the same way with my own business.

THEGOLDPRO
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
My dealer always hooks me up, I bought a new set of hedge trimmers today that were listed for $519.00 before taxes, he gave them to us for $478.00 before taxes.

RTR Landscaping
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't think the dealers have a lot of room to discount price. Mowerbrad is right, I'll pay higher prices to get excellent service from my dealer. They are no different from us and they need to make a decent profit to stay in business.

epm
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Dealers don't make much on handheld equipment, the profit margins are minimal...usually around 15%. Most dealers won't budge on the list prices of their handhelds unless you buy multiple at the same time or in conjunction with larger equipment.

How do you feel as a business owner when a customer baulks at the price you quote them for mowing? Even if that customer accepts your price, you probably aren't going to go out of your way to make them happy if they have a problem. Now if a customer happily accepts your price, you will probably do a little more to make sure that they are WELL taken care of each and every week. So when you walk into your dealer to buy a piece of equipment and start trying to beat them down on their price or continue to ask if they can do any better because you baught XXXXX from them, they probably aren't going to be as happy to help you when the time comes that you need service. Where as the guy who just pays their price and doesn't try to make them give him a better price, the dealer will probably be more much more happy to help him out.

Take this for example...I have bought 2 fully loaded commercial mowers, a backpack leaf blower, a hedge trimmer, multiple kombi attachments, a power washer and all of my supplies (oil, blades, filters, etc) from my John Deere dealer, never once did I try to get them to come down on their price. Just the other week I had a sidewall on my tire blow, so I was out my main mower. Called my dealer who ordered a new tire for me. I brought in the rim and my dealer puts on the new tire while I wait. I asked the service manager how much I owed him (tire was $95 and install was $20), I was thinking about $120 or so, but he proceeds to tell me that he is going to warranty the repair for me so I don't have to pay for it out of pocket.

I find that if I don't complain about price or every little thing, my dealer is much more apt to help me out when I need it. Its the same way with my own business.

I have also bought over $20k in equipment in the last three months. I on the other hand only payed about $15 for all of it between manufacturer rebates and dealer hook ups. If your a commercial company that spends "x" amount a year at ONE shop, you should be taken care of.... price and service.
I've blown two tires this year, and messed up a blade. None of which i've seen a bill for.

jfoxtrot9
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Well said.

johnny_boy02
06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Depends on who helps me and what I am buying. If I need a few small items like glasses, ear plugs, extra blades, etc they will normally toss some stuff in free.

More importantly for me is when something needs work I get moved to the front of the line.

SouthSide Cutter
06-15-2011, 07:39 AM
I have a JD Dealer that you cant beat and he gives anyone I send to him the same deal. Always 20-21% off handhelds. Just wish they handled another brand of mower and I would give him all my business.

MOHUSTLER
06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
The 2 things I see wrong with what happend is

#1 there is little markup in handheld equip. If we give you 20$ off we broke even.

#2 you called over the phone. Unless I know the guy well, I allways price list over the phone because hes probably sitting in anohter dealers parking lot waiting to jew that guy down. We have that happen A LOT!

SouthSide Cutter
06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I went to 4 dealers last year. Gave them my card and a list of equipment I needed. I didnt have time to wait. Told them to get me a price and call. The JD dealer called me the next day with the price on each piece. Bought a 131 pole saw, a 361 chain saw, BG 86, BG 86 Vac, Br 600 mag, 110 Kombie with hedge, tiller,extenison, edger and trimmer, 2 FS100RX trimmers. The day I went all dealers were pretty busy and I told them I was just pricing not buying. None of the others ever called me.

GravyTrain
06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I just wish I had access to a dealer I could count on. I'm going to have to start back over and go through all of them again. I'm not even looking for discounts on equipment or even bumped up to the top of a service list, I just want a friendly (I'd even take neutral) attitude, returned phone calls (even 2 days later would be acceptable at this point), honest pricing (not cheap....honest), and salesmen that actually know something about the equipment they are attempting to sell (and actually listen to what I know during discussions).

I don't think I'm asking for too much.

epm
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I just wish I had access to a dealer I could count on. I'm going to have to start back over and go through all of them again. I'm not even looking for discounts on equipment or even bumped up to the top of a service list, I just want a friendly (I'd even take neutral) attitude, returned phone calls (even 2 days later would be acceptable at this point), honest pricing (not cheap....honest), and salesmen that actually know something about the equipment they are attempting to sell (and actually listen to what I know during discussions).

I don't think I'm asking for too much.

My suggestion would be to find a piece of real estate, email a few companies and see what it would take to start your own shop. If your in a position to do so.

Will P.C.
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I never got any deals at dealers, but I am also not a power buyer. I cannot imagine they make too much on a piece that is 300 dollars.

The dealers in my area suck. They look for the smallest things to jew me out of money. I asked how much it would be to pick up my mower 2 weeks after I bought it. 120 dollars each way for a 30 minute round trip for something they should have assembled right in the first place.

My Stihl dealer always tries to talk people into rebuilding carbs on 4+ year old equipment so he can charge labor instead of just putting on a new carb that costs 30 dollars.

I still use dealers since it is the only way to buy new equipment.

GravyTrain
06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
My suggestion would be to find a piece of real estate, email a few companies and see what it would take to start your own shop. If your in a position to do so.

Unfortunately, I'm no where near that position, but have considered it time and again.

HHlandscaping
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
1 so with in a week I am spending close to a grand and I cant get a penny off?

and for the blower I offered cash which would save a credit card fee. I must

I cant ask for a better shop though they take care of things I need rite on the

spot for me if I need it rite away.

2 someone said how would I like it if people try to hustle me down on

landscaping pricing I wouldn't but if I did work on some ones house monday and

thursday they asked me to come back I would cut them a little break because

they already spent money with me that week .

rwaters
06-17-2011, 12:25 AM
1 so with in a week I am spending close to a grand and I cant get a penny off?

and for the blower I offered cash which would save a credit card fee. I must

I cant ask for a better shop though they take care of things I need rite on the

spot for me if I need it rite away.

2 someone said how would I like it if people try to hustle me down on

landscaping pricing I wouldn't but if I did work on some ones house monday and

thursday they asked me to come back I would cut them a little break because

they already spent money with me that week .

They are cutting you a break, they are putting you ahead of somebody else by fixing it right away.

djagusch
06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
First off I don't pay much attention to the price for a $300 to $500 piece. I go into the shop and say I need another trimmer, he points to a trimmer or multi tool, I grab the multi tool, he gases it up and runs it, and I leave with it in my truck. No mention of price, it had a tag on it for $309. End of the month I got the monthly parts bill, just looked up the price and it was $275. No hassle, no asking, etc. I by 99% of my stuff there, 4 mowers over the last 3yrs, ave 15k a yr with him. Great relationship with him and the guys in the shop. I'm sure he is making money off me but I also make money from what I buy from him.

Saving $20 or so on trimmer, is it real worth the time calling/driving around trying to save that little? Heck if it is 10 mile one way that's $7 in gas plus your time. Tighten routes spending more time upselling would be time better spent.
Posted via Mobile Device