PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a new chainsaw

vencops
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of adding another chainsaw to the barn. Looking for a 20" bar......and that's about all I know.

I looked at stihl and husky this AM. Too many 20" models with very different price tags. What's the "gotta have" power for a 20" model that'll be used maybe 10X/yr?

Thanks.

Pressedun
06-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking of adding another chainsaw to the barn. Looking for a 20" bar......and that's about all I know.

I looked at stihl and husky this AM. Too many 20" models with very different price tags. What's the "gotta have" power for a 20" model that'll be used maybe 10X/yr?

Thanks.

I'll be honest... I've used my Stihl MS 170 about 30+ times and the thing has cut through trees almost as big as the bar (14") and it still cuts like a champ. I'm thinking you'll be fine with any model that gives you a 20" bar especially when you're using it as little as you say you're going to be.

STIHL GUY
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll be honest... I've used my Stihl MS 170 about 30+ times and the thing has cut through trees almost as big as the bar (14") and it still cuts like a champ. I'm thinking you'll be fine with any model that gives you a 20" bar especially when you're using it as little as you say you're going to be.

i have a MS180 and its worked great for me as well...make sure you get a model with good dealer support for if you need work done to it or parts

Pressedun
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
i have a MS180 and its worked great for me as well...make sure you get a model with good dealer support for if you need work done to it or parts

Absolutely!

:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

orourke15
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I run Jonsered chainsaws from Sweden. Love them. Have a 2165 (65cc) with a 20'' bar that has hundreds of hours on it and it still runs and looks new. Jonsered are run by alot of the loggers here in Wisconsin. Although if there aren't any dealers in your area then Stihl is your best bet. I have Stihl saws as well, but much prefer the Jonsered.

UNDERCUTTERS OMAHA
06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
You might want to look at older stihl saws. I would look at 1 026Pro, 009L. These are very good saws and are easy to maintain. I run stihl and love them. If looking at new, there are tons of options out there now. I would stihl stick with an Orange product. HUSKY or Stihl. Good Luck.

pjlandscapes
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I run Jonsered chainsaws from Sweden. Love them. Have a 2165 (65cc) with a 20'' bar that has hundreds of hours on it and it still runs and looks new. Jonsered are run by alot of the loggers here in Wisconsin. Although if there aren't any dealers in your area then Stihl is your best bet. I have Stihl saws as well, but much prefer the Jonsered.

i believe that jonsered and husqvarna are the same company

orourke15
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Correct, Jonsered and Husqvarna are the same company. Jonsered only produces commercial equiptment. And they are usually about $100 cheaper than a comparable commercial Stihl saw. Can't go wrong with a Jonsered. I have a Jonsered trimmer that I've used for 4 seasons now and it still performs like it did right out of the box with a TON of hours on it.

AOD
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
For a 20" look at a Stihl MS362 or a Husky 359. If you really wanna rock get a Dolmar/Makita 6420. These are saws used by hardcore firewood guys. if you need even more power, Stihl 460 or Husky 372xp. Don't waste time with a Stihl 441 or a husky 570.