PDA

View Full Version : 40" Hedge Trimmers ... need one

diyer999
06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
I need to get a 40" hedge trimmer. A dealer told me the issue is the gearbox. So, what brands make quality gears? Please state what you base your opinion on.

Btw, I am reading about many of the new models from all of the top names as having problems with the increased use of alcohol in the gasoline and the new emissions standards. What year did these changes take place and what previous years/model hedge trimmers should I consider? I think this is the key issue and what I should look for. For example, I keep reading about the Stihl FS80 Trimmer, the RedMax 8001 blower.

I would like to get something by one of the following mfrs: Echo, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Maruyama, RedMax, Shindaiwa, Stihl. However, Makita, Mantis/Little Wonder, and Tanaka do not currently make the 40" size. I'm not brand loyal, but I do need something reliable and durable. Price doesnt matter, but those longer 5 year warranties sure are tempting, and in that sense Echo and Kawasaki are sucking in the profits. How can they offer that if they are making junk? (Seems silly for Shindaiwa and RedMax not to follow suit). Of course no mfr can guarantee 100% quality control, and no mfr has the classic model of everything, some models are just destined to be lemons. I also believe that the markup has a great deal to do with what brands a dealer will push. Reviews are worthless, cause for every good thing said about a brand, there is always someone knocking it, usually without any real hard data -- they got the lemon model. I also think that some brands are more common than others are in certain regions, but that proves little. In Pa most of the landscapers like RedMax Blowers; String Trimmers seems divided by RedMax and Echo. Stihl rules the Chainsaws. Husq and Maruyama have been around a long time, but I dont know what they do well. Husq seesm to have a very diverse product line. I cannot find any Maruyama dealers anywhere, but they will order it in ... kinda afraid to take a chance, even with a 5 year "commercial" warranty.

As for other brands like "Royal Red Emperor" from Harbor Freight, or K-Mart's buy one get one free deals, sorry, I'm not interested in having troubles.:nono: These are the brands that really give you a headache.

I would love to have them all lined up and try them all out but such things are never possible.

Thank you all in advance,
diyer

topsites
06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
No.

What the dealer is telling you is there is no such thing as a 40" hedge trimmer because past
a certain size there isn't a gearbox strong enough that can handle the cutting motion of...

I am sorry, it angers me to even bother with the type of reply required for this question.

knox gsl
06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a 30" bar on my HS 80 and it will wear you out after a few hours. I would hate to use a 40", if its even available.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
06-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I did a lot of research on hedge trimmer. The last one I bought is the Maruyama HT2321L. I study the gear box design of all the big brands. The three that stand out by design is Maruyama, Shindaiwa and the Kawasaki D series. Kawi is out since you know they don't have 40" bar. So only Maru and Shindy.

What is so special about the gear box is these two are the ONLY one that has two bearing for each gear, one on each end of the gear to give the best support. Redmax has the same amount of ball bearing but for some reason they put two on one side of the first gear. None of the others that I study including Tanaka models, Stihl HS81 or HS45 has two bearings for each gear. Echo has very few bearings period. Also both connecting rod has full needle bearing to give very smooth operation.

I own an Echo HC151, Shindaiwa M242 with pole hedge trimmer and the Maru. Maru blades seems to be a little better in cutting. Shindaiwa has chrome plated blades. Problem with Shindaiwa is the new stuff seems to have more complains.

As For the engine. The Maru 22.5 engine is the same as what I have. It always one to two pull cold start. About 20 seconds idle and I can pull full throttle. It doesn't even choke if you rev it cold, but just don't pull full rpm. As soon as you spray Fluid Film on, it is ready to rock. The casing and construction seem to be of very high quality and well design to take a beating. That comes to the drawback, it is not light. The lightest one are Stihl and Tanaka. But if you look at the design, you know why they are lighter, because they miss a lot of bearing for one!!! Tanaka don't even have roller bearing on the connecting rod.

Almost forgot. The Maru engine is so quiet it is surprising. It is as quiet or quieter than the Honda GX25 engine. You almost don't need ear plugs.....well not quite!!! But big difference from Honda and Shindaiwa for sure. Last but not the least, Maru is the only company that offer 5 years commercial warranty. I have two pieces of Maru, I am very happy with them, both easy starting and not cold nature at all.

diyer999
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
No.

What the dealer is telling you is there is no such thing as a 40" hedge trimmer because past
a certain size there isn't a gearbox strong enough that can handle the cutting motion of...

I am sorry, it angers me to even bother with the type of reply required for this question.

Well then I imagine this is really gonna piss you off, cause your wrong, and no dealer ever told me any such thing, and I never said they did. Makes me wonder if you even read it at all. Not only do the mfrs that i mentioned make a 40," but K A W A S A K I has a 44" and H U S Q V A R N A has a 42.5" model.

The Mfrs that do not currently make a 40" are Little Wonder, Makita, Tanaka. The other named ones do.

diyer999
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I did a lot of research on hedge trimmer. The last one I bought is the Maruyama HT2321L. I study the gear box design of all the big brands. The three that stand out by design is Maruyama, Shindaiwa and the Kawasaki D series. Kawi is out since you know they don't have 40" bar.

... Last but not the least, Maru is the only company that offer 5 years commercial warranty. I have two pieces of Maru, I am very happy with them, both easy starting and not cold nature at all.

Well, Kawasaki has a 44," not sure if you meant 40" exactly, but I did, and figured 44" is a bit too much -- what do you think of that size, not for general all purpose work but for special apps? The model is KHS1100B. Would putting Kawi back in the running change your opnion? Would you prefer the Kawi over the Shinny?

I gotta repeatedly do this fast growing evergreen that is 20 ft long and very wide at the top, and yes it is above my waist, so I need to cut it as quickly as possible and with a bit of ingenuity and creativity. In other words, I normally use my other 18-20" trimmer for the narrow or low hedges.

But I have taken notice of all the points you made about Maruyama. How could they offer such a warranty and make lousy tools? Makes no sense. I am having a bit of a hard time finding them locally though, and of course, that is also what all the local dealers seem to remark about immediately when that brand is mentioned The main issue, is always, "Well, how are you going to warranty it if no one has it, are you gonna mail back and forth." A valid point I'm afraid. They also question what the 5 year written warranty would cover in the real everyday world. But that Maruyama brand sure does look good on paper regardless.

Alan0354
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, Kawasaki has a 44," not sure if you meant 40" exactly, but I did, and figured 44" is a bit too much -- what do you think of that size, not for general all purpose work but for special apps? The model is KHS1100B. Would putting Kawi back in the running change your opnion? Would you prefer the Kawi over the Shinny?

I gotta repeatedly do this fast growing evergreen that is 20 ft long and very wide at the top, and yes it is above my waist, so I need to cut it as quickly as possible and with a bit of ingenuity and creativity. In other words, I normally use my other 18-20" trimmer for the narrow or low hedges.

But I have taken notice of all the points you made about Maruyama. How could they offer such a warranty and make lousy tools? Makes no sense. I am having a bit of a hard time finding them locally though, and of course, that is also what all the local dealers seem to remark about immediately when that brand is mentioned The main issue, is always, "Well, how are you going to warranty it if no one has it, are you gonna mail back and forth." A valid point I'm afraid. They also question what the 5 year written warranty would cover in the real everyday world. But that Maruyama brand sure does look good on paper regardless.

We have quite a few dealers here!!! This is online order:

http://www.norwalkpower.net/store/pc/Maruyama-HT2321L-40-Hedge-Trimmer-Single-Sided-Blades-159p319032.htm

I bought mine on line and I don't care about the warranty. Back to 40", in my opinion, it is too long. If you are tall....like 6', then it's ok. I got the 30" and I am supper happy. I paid $100 cheaper than the dealers so I am just going to fix it on my own if anything happened. So far so good. I don't have good experience with dealer anyway.

LandscaperPro
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey diyer, If you would be interested in looking at a couple of TANAKA Hedge Trimmers we have online, I will post an address you can cut and past to go straight there. TANAKA has great reputation for durability, dependability, and customer service. Have had nothing but good feedback on these machines.

http://www.landscaperpro.com/hedgetrimmers.aspx

Thanks,
Blake
LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
ok so it made it a link.

944own
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I have the 40 inch shindaiwa trimmers not sure the model number if you are interested in buying used I would sell them just not sure on the shipping but they are in great shape and run great I just never use them. PM me if interested. HT 231 I looked at my sig

BJWLAWNCARE
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I had the shindy hedge trimmers for years the 40 inch single sided I believe. I now went with the Kawasaki 44 inchers. The blades themselves on the Kawi's are poor quality. I have broken cutting edges snapped right off. One is smack dab in the middle too.

bare spot
06-16-2011, 01:33 AM
good thread and good info., been wanting to try maruyama trimmers, 40 inch bar sounds like a good tool to have handy.

Alan0354
06-16-2011, 02:59 AM
The Maru blades are known to be very good. I think it is a little better than Shindaiwa and Echo that I have.

In my opinion, Unless you don't the demanding boxwood hedging that you need to get a very straight surface, I say the 30" double side is more convenient to use because you can cut in both direction. That is the reason I got the 30". It is a lot cheaper too. I only paid $389 for my Maruyama. 40" is too long for me.

I have two pieces of Shindaiwa equipments and they have been reliable. I just hear complains on their new models.

bare spot
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
looking at these (single-sided) and having never used one, gotta ask if the handle or knob on the bar can be adjusted, move up or down, etc.? and if using these feel more comfortable than double-sided, just a matter of preference and getting use to would think.

Alan0354
06-17-2011, 04:10 AM
looking at these (single-sided) and having never used one, gotta ask if the handle or knob on the bar can be adjusted, move up or down, etc.? and if using these feel more comfortable than double-sided, just a matter of preference and getting use to would think.

No adjustment at all on the single side. But the design is very good, really fit your hand natural position and much more comfortable to use. I so wish they make double side with this kind of handle. I found double side handle uncomfortable to use. I do a lot of the straight boxwood hedging. I have to point the blades straight and sweep in an arc. I end up have to hold the handle in opposite way and have to use my pinky to press the throttle. If not, you have to twist your wrist in funny position to do it. But the single side is very natural.

diyer999
06-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Not sure if this is the best way to comment on some threads, but I wanted to add that as for double blade 30" trimmers, again, Maruyama seems to be at the front of the pack, since they offer one with a 5 position double sided handle -- Shinny and Redmax do not. Husq, Stihl, and Echo also offer that feature. I agree with Alan0354 that the U handles on the 30 and 40 single blade tools are far more comfortable.

Currently I own an Echo, their shortest blade model, its actually 18" not 20" as advertised. Havent had any problems with it, but my Brother has this wide, shoulder high, evergreen bush that my neighbor planted and refuses to maintain. I was cutting it for years and thought it was my Brother's hedge. One day this neigbor says to my Mom, "I thought your son enjoyed cutting that bush" OMG, is he nuts!? I found out he planted it for his wife a long time ago. Anyway, that's where the idea of the 40" came from. I figured it made more sense to go from an 18" to a 40" than from 18" to 30" since the gain is only one foot, whereas the 40" gives me 22" more coverage. It would cut my work time in half.

But, the main reason I am now considering the 30" is that I am right handed and even though the manufacturers will tell you their 40" trimmers are right handed, I disagree, I sense it is more for a left handed person. I always throttle with my right hand and keep my left hand forward; I throttle my vehicles with my right foot; I pulled the trigger on rifles with my right hand; I grew up in the USA driving on the right hand side of the road, shifting with my right hand, and asking me to hold the front handle of one of those 40" trimmers with my right hand and throttle with my left is just plain awkward to me. Those trimmers belong in England along with their backwards vehicles. Of course, no mfr makes one like that, because the muffler is on the left side. Too bad they dont offer them both ways. I think this is the only tool with that issue. A few days ago I was talking to a dealer in California and he told me that I was the fourth person that week who asked for a 40" with the front handle on the left. He was surprised. He told me one guy was a doctor and had a fit that it wasnt available like that. My local dealers said I was the only person who made that an issue -- I dont believe them.

Btw, getting to talk to a RedMax employee these days is very difficult and time consuming, ignorant Husqvarna is indirectly destroying RedMax by cutting off the consumers previous easy access to the company -- perhaps that is all part of their plan? But I did verify what Alan0354said about the gears, Redmax uses two gears on one side and a bushing on the other. Shindaiwa told me that they use larger bearings than Redmax. As Alan0354 also said Shinny uses needle bearings on the rods, and Redmax uses ball bearings. A mastertech told me he would choose the needle bearing design for rods. A local dealer told me that Redmax developed their trimmer line years ago and left it alone and never made any revisions like they do with their backpacks. I think there are patent issues involved here.

As for owning just one trimmer, I believe the best all around choice is the 30." If I didnt already own an 18" I would get a 30." But I dont see the Maruyama or any 40" having any significant weight difference. True my Echo is 10.5 lbs, and the 40" models 12-14 lbs, but so what, there are tricks around that issue. But in the end, I'm throwing in the towel and not buying anything. Why? I'm just disgusted that the front handles of the single blade designs are all on the right. I was so sure that Shinny made a single blade trimmer with the front handle on the left, but the pics were reversed.:cry:

Oh well, all that effort for nothing. I think I'm gonna cut the one side of that bush on my side of the property and let my neighbors side grow out of control - might give us more privacy too.:cool2:

PS. A guy a Shinny told me an interesting story of a bush in Florida the landscaping contractors call the million-mile-million dollar-hedge. Evidently it runs for many, many miles along some highway and the contractors bid on it, to maintaining it. He told me they use those 40" trimmers for the task.

bare spot
06-17-2011, 10:31 PM
No adjustment at all on the single side. But the design is very good, really fit your hand natural position and much more comfortable to use. I so wish they make double side with this kind of handle. I found double side handle uncomfortable to use. I do a lot of the straight boxwood hedging. I have to point the blades straight and sweep in an arc. I end up have to hold the handle in opposite way and have to use my pinky to press the throttle. If not, you have to twist your wrist in funny position to do it. But the single side is very natural.

thanks alan, never seen one of these tools close up. do look like they handle well.

bare spot
06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Not sure if this is the best way to comment on some threads, but I wanted to add that as for double blade 30" trimmers, again, Maruyama seems to be at the front of the pack, since they offer one with a 5 position double sided handle -- Shinny and Redmax do not. Husq, Stihl, and Echo also offer that feature. I agree with Alan0354 that the U handles on the 30 and 40 single blade tools are far more comfortable.

Currently I own an Echo, their shortest blade model, its actually 18" not 20" as advertised. Havent had any problems with it, but my Brother has this wide, shoulder high, evergreen bush that my neighbor planted and refuses to maintain. I was cutting it for years and thought it was my Brother's hedge. One day this neigbor says to my Mom, "I thought your son enjoyed cutting that bush" OMG, is he nuts!? I found out he planted it for his wife a long time ago. Anyway, that's where the idea of the 40" came from. I figured it made more sense to go from an 18" to a 40" than from 18" to 30" since the gain is only one foot, whereas the 40" gives me 22" more coverage. It would cut my work time in half.

But, the main reason I am now considering the 30" is that I am right handed and even though the manufacturers will tell you their 40" trimmers are right handed, I disagree, I sense it is more for a left handed person. I always throttle with my right hand and keep my left hand forward; I throttle my vehicles with my right foot; I pulled the trigger on rifles with my right hand; I grew up in the USA driving on the right hand side of the road, shifting with my right hand, and asking me to hold the front handle of one of those 40" trimmers with my right hand and throttle with my left is just plain awkward to me. Those trimmers belong in England along with their backwards vehicles. Of course, no mfr makes one like that, because the muffler is on the left side. Too bad they dont offer them both ways. I think this is the only tool with that issue. A few days ago I was talking to a dealer in California and he told me that I was the fourth person that week who asked for a 40" with the front handle on the left. He was surprised. He told me one guy was a doctor and had a fit that it wasnt available like that. My local dealers said I was the only person who made that an issue -- I dont believe them.

Btw, getting to talk to a RedMax employee these days is very difficult and time consuming, ignorant Husqvarna is indirectly destroying RedMax by cutting off the consumers previous easy access to the company -- perhaps that is all part of their plan? But I did verify what Alan0354said about the gears, Redmax uses two gears on one side and a bushing on the other. Shindaiwa told me that they use larger bearings than Redmax. As Alan0354 also said Shinny uses needle bearings on the rods, and Redmax uses ball bearings. A mastertech told me he would choose the needle bearing design for rods. A local dealer told me that Redmax developed their trimmer line years ago and left it alone and never made any revisions like they do with their backpacks. I think there are patent issues involved here.

As for owning just one trimmer, I believe the best all around choice is the 30." If I didnt already own an 18" I would get a 30." But I dont see the Maruyama or any 40" having any significant weight difference. True my Echo is 10.5 lbs, and the 40" models 12-14 lbs, but so what, there are tricks around that issue. But in the end, I'm throwing in the towel and not buying anything. Why? I'm just disgusted that the front handles of the single blade designs are all on the right. I was so sure that Shinny made a single blade trimmer with the front handle on the left, but the pics were reversed.:cry:

Oh well, all that effort for nothing. I think I'm gonna cut the one side of that bush on my side of the property and let my neighbors side grow out of control - might give us more privacy too.:cool2:

PS. A guy a Shinny told me an interesting story of a bush in Florida the landscaping contractors call the million-mile-million dollar-hedge. Evidently it runs for many, many miles along some highway and the contractors bid on it, to maintaining it. He told me they use those 40" trimmers for the task. didn't pick up on that (right hand). looking at them last night, was just focused on how to best use the cutter's, what angle, etc.

Alan0354
06-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Hey Diyer999

I do not want to swear on this, but I thought it is not that hard to switch the lower handle around on the single side...........At least it looked possible on the IPL. The few I saw have the handle holding onto the blades with two nuts and bolts and I don't see any reason you cannot just flip it over. At worst you might have to do a little filing.

I was even thinking about buying one of the handle and fit onto the double blade, but it is not easy because the double don't have the two holes on the blades for you to screw the handle on. Drilling a elongated hole on harden steal is not going to be easy and might ruin the blades. I am more thinking of changing the top handle, but I bet it is going to cost a lot because I have to get the throttle cable assembly along with it too.

Go look at the trimmer and see whether it is possible to flip the handle, I have a suspicion you might be pleasantly surprised that you can.

As for me, I am amberdextor, I tried and hold it opposite handed and use my right pinky to do the throttling and use the trimmer as chopping down motion!!! See, if you hold it the correct way, you mainly doing scooping up motion ( start vertically down and sweep up with your right hand). That's why I so like the handles of the single side.

diyer999
06-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey Diyer999

I do not want to swear on this, but I thought it is not that hard to switch the lower handle around on the single side...........At least it looked possible on the IPL. The few I saw have the handle holding onto the blades with two nuts and bolts and I don't see any reason you cannot just flip it over. At worst you might have to do a little filing.

I was even thinking about buying one of the handle and fit onto the double blade, but it is not easy because the double don't have the two holes on the blades for you to screw the handle on. Drilling a elongated hole on harden steal is not going to be easy and might ruin the blades. I am more thinking of changing the top handle, but I bet it is going to cost a lot because I have to get the throttle cable assembly along with it too.

Go look at the trimmer and see whether it is possible to flip the handle, I have a suspicion you might be pleasantly surprised that you can.

As for me, I am amberdextor, I tried and hold it opposite handed and use my right pinky to do the throttling and use the trimmer as chopping down motion!!! See, if you hold it the correct way, you mainly doing scooping up motion ( start vertically down and sweep up with your right hand). That's why I so like the handles of the single side.

Yes, I think the handle can be switched if you really wanted to. I discussed this with various dealers. They told me it makes the tool more dangerous, because then your hand is on the same side as the blade and the muffler. However, I wonder if you can turn the blades over to face the other direction? I have not looked at how they attach inside the gearbox. It would make it a safer tool — otherwise, imagine getting snagged in a bush and your front hand gets jerked loose and your still holding that throttle open! ... Murphys law

I don't know why the manufacturers have not tried this, but you know how the double sided blade hedge trimmers have that front loop handle along with that additional plastic piece in front of the handle ... Well, I was thinking that it is too bad they dont offer that design with the 30" and 40" long single side blade trimmers. It would certainly work for both left and right handed people. Or, they could even eliminate that front loop handle design and put a handle there that is similar to the rear handles on the single sided trimmers, of course, along with the solid plastic protector. They could make it a smaller version of the rear handle. But changing that front loop from from plastic to aluminum and also adding a rubber or soft grip would surely make it much easier on the user. If I could find a used one I think I would try fabricating something along those lines, not with a swivel but maybe with a bolt or welding it on. I've had to resort to this kind of fabrication before just to get the tool I needed.

Btw, as far as those bearing designs on the Shinny and the Maru, vs the Redmax design: What is the significance of a single bearing on each side of the gears, as opposed to two bearings on one side of the gears and a bushing on the other side them? ... and also, what is the significance of roller bearings on the connecting rods, as opposed to ball bearings on the rods?

Alan0354
06-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, I think the handle can be switched if you really wanted to. I discussed this with various dealers. They told me it makes the tool more dangerous, because then your hand is on the same side as the blade and the muffler. However, I wonder if you can turn the blades over to face the other direction? I have not looked at how they attach inside the gearbox. It would make it a safer tool — otherwise, imagine getting snagged in a bush and your front hand gets jerked loose and your still holding that throttle open! ... Murphys law

I don't know why the manufacturers have not tried this, but you know how the double sided blade hedge trimmers have that front loop handle along with that additional plastic piece in front of the handle ... Well, I was thinking that it is too bad they dont offer that design with the 30" and 40" long single side blade trimmers. It would certainly work for both left and right handed people. Or, they could even eliminate that front loop handle design and put a handle there that is similar to the rear handles on the single sided trimmers, of course, along with the solid plastic protector. They could make it a smaller version of the rear handle. But changing that front loop from from plastic to aluminum and also adding a rubber or soft grip would surely make it much easier on the user. If I could find a used one I think I would try fabricating something along those lines, not with a swivel but maybe with a bolt or welding it on. I've had to resort to this kind of fabrication before just to get the tool I needed.

Btw, as far as those bearing designs on the Shinny and the Maru, vs the Redmax design: What is the significance of a single bearing on each side of the gears, as opposed to two bearings on one side of the gears and a bushing on the other side them? ... and also, what is the significance of roller bearings on the connecting rods, as opposed to ball bearings on the rods?

Think of it this way, you put load onto the gear when you turn it. It is like the single wheel on a wheel barrow. The best is if you support on both side of the axle of the wheel. But if you only have support on one side and the other side is left open, When you put the weight on, you put a lot of twisting force ( force that try to bend the axle.). Even though RM put two ball bearing on one side to beef up, but that is only a bandage in my book. I am not sure RM has bushing on the other side.

Regarding to the handle, I am sure you can fit a loop handle on the single side trimmer easily if that is your concern. I think the idea handle would be just straight point out instead pointing to the side of the blade or away from the side of the blade like what you described. Then you can grap the handle with either hand and you are not as close to the blade.

I just went on the RM site and look at the IPL of

CHTZ2401-CA-02/08 S/N 60100101 & UP

Part #23 is the drive gear and you can see there is no bottom axle. The site address is not clear this is the best I can get:

http://redmax.infoaccessipl.com/default.aspx

Also you don't see the hole with bearing on the bottom casing corresponds to the gear.

Alan0354
06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
When I look at the IPL again, the driven gear ( the cam gear ) that drive the two connecting rod to the blades has NO ball bearing on either side. I gave Redmax too much credit!!!

They just keep bragging about the needle bearing on the connecting rod and they fail to mention they don't put any other necessary bearing.

diyer999
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
When I look at the IPL again, the driven gear ( the cam gear ) that drive the two connecting rod to the blades has NO ball bearing on either side. I gave Redmax too much credit!!!

They just keep bragging about the needle bearing on the connecting rod and they fail to mention they don't put any other necessary bearing.

#17 is the two ball bearings on the one side. #26 and #27 are the gears, not #23, 23 is a bolt. The smaller circle inside # 28 is are the needle bearings for the blade connecting rods. When I spoke to RedMax on the phone, the engineer told me that the other side of the gear has a bushing. It may be incorporated into part #26. But I think the Redmax info page is too sketchy, and needs more details.

Btw, I think that Stihl has some of the best blades available. They are Swiss produced, and the Swiss have just about the best steel in the world, even if only in small batches.

This straight out handle design that you mention, do you mean straight out like a pipe/shaft/pole type handle in between the plastic protector and the engine, like the double edge blades have?

These blade lengths on the hedge trimmers, are they the amount of actual cutting teeth available or is it the entire piece of steel from end to end?

Alan0354
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
#17 is the two ball bearings on the one side. #26 and #27 are the gears, not #23, 23 is a bolt. The smaller circle inside # 28 is are the needle bearings for the blade connecting rods. When I spoke to RedMax on the phone, the engineer told me that the other side of the gear has a bushing. It may be incorporated into part #26. But I think the Redmax info page is too sketchy, and needs more details.

Btw, I think that Stihl has some of the best blades available. They are Swiss produced, and the Swiss have just about the best steel in the world, even if only in small batches.

This straight out handle design that you mention, do you mean straight out like a pipe/shaft/pole type handle in between the plastic protector and the engine, like the double edge blades have?

These blade lengths on the hedge trimmers, are they the amount of actual cutting teeth available or is it the entire piece of steel from end to end?

I think you are looking at a different trimmer. Get to the Help and Support, put in this model number "CHTZ2401-CA-02/08 S/N 60100101 & UP" and you'll find it. #23 has only one sided and I take it as face value. Do a copy and paste on the model number.

Stihl and Tanaka has the less amount of bearings, I don't know for sure it means it is not as durable. I just judge it at the face value to buy mine. They are the lighest of all the hedge trimmers for the lack of all the bearing for one!!!

This is what I saw throughout the years. I did a lot of research to make the decision. I don't know Stihl. I read mixed comments. I personally don't want to get Stihl because they don't want you to fix-it-yourself. They don't give out IPL and part number. I don't believe in paying $100 to do repair on a $400 piece of equipments.

I measure all three of my hedge trimmer, they have different teeth openings, teeth depth and teeth width. This is a totally different subject by itself.

At the end of the day. All commercial brands are close. If you have enough doubt, just go with the brand you feel more comfortable. You asked about technical reason why people think one brand is the best, I gave it to you. This is just an opinion. Get whatever you feel more comfortable. Even two of the exact same brand and model, one can be trouble free for a long time and the other can be nothing but trouble. This is all a crap shoot and you roll your dice when you buy one.

As for blade length, I can tell you the Echo HC151 claimed it's 20" but in real life, it is 22". My guess everyone is different, the best is to carry a tape measure and measure it. I personally would like to see a single side at 35". 40" is just too long for me.

I don't know about Stihl blades. I am into knife sharpening. I can tell you I compare a lot of top name kitchen knives. Hankel is about the Rolex of knife and is made in Germany. I can tell you I compare, Chicago Cuttery, Chefsharp and Hankel. Hankel blades are the worst, they are the softest. The cheap Chicago Cuttery was undoubtly the utmost best and hold the edge the best. I know because I make my knives much....I say much sharper than anything you can buy in the store. My knife can cut through 1" stack of paper towel in one slice motion. This is sharp if you are into knives.

Alan0354
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I just went out and feel the edges on my Echo, Shindaiwa and Maru. Sharp is a very strong word to describe them!!!:laugh: They are all quite blunt in my book. They are something that you will get cut if you happen to run into it carelessly. They are nothing like a knife that can open you up if you are not careful.

I think the key is on the adjustment of the gap between the blades and the cleanliness of the blades. I adjust my blades kind of tight. I turn the nut tight and only back off 1/4 turn and no more. Nothing like the instruction said about 1/3 to 1/2 turn. Then I spray before and after hedging with Fluid Film to keep it absolutely spotless and well lubed. Anything that get in between the two blades will make you trimmer cut like crap. I know because I almost throw my Echo HC151 away!!!!

You cannot judge the blades by the feel or who make it in hedge trimmers.

diyer999
06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
When I spoke to RedMax on the phone, the engineer told me that the other side of the gear has a bushing.

I had to quote myself in order to edit this post. The website does not allow for editing after a certain amount of time.

So, I wanted to add that the RedMax engineer also told me that the connecting rods on the cutters have ball bearings But the web site says they are needle bearings. So, now my opinion is that not only is the Redmax info sketchy, it is also inconsistent -- I mean which version is the lie, the website or the tech on the telephone? -- all in all it seems very unprofessional.

Alan0354
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I had to quote myself in order to edit this post. The website does not allow for editing after a certain amount of time.

So, I wanted to add that the RedMax engineer also told me that the connecting rods on the cutters have ball bearings But the web site says they are needle bearings. So, now my opinion is that not only is the Redmax info sketchy, it is also inconsistent -- I mean which version is the lie, the website or the tech on the telephone? -- all in all it seems very unprofessional.

I only trust anything in writing. The IPLs are not new, if IPL has a mistake, they would have found out really quick and revised it long time ago. Service centers absolutely depend on IPL to order parts and repair.

I found calling for info not reliable all the time. After you hang up, who are you going to go after?

diyer999
06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
1. I think you are looking at a different trimmer. Get to the Help and Support, put in this model number "CHTZ2401-CA-02/08 S/N 60100101 & UP" and you'll find it. #23 has only one sided and I take it as face value.

2. ... I personally don't want to get Stihl because they don't want you to fix-it-yourself. They don't give out IPL and part number. I don't believe in paying $100 to do repair on a $400 piece of equipments.

3. I measure all three of my hedge trimmer, they have different teeth openings, teeth depth and teeth width. This is a totally different subject by itself.

4. As for blade length, I can tell you the Echo HC151 claimed it's 20" but in real life, it is 22". My guess everyone is different, the best is to carry a tape measure and measure it. I personally would like to see a single side at 35". 40" is just too long for me.

5. I don't know about Stihl blades. I am into knife sharpening. I can tell you I compare a lot of top name kitchen knives. Hankel is about the Rolex of knife and is made in Germany. I can tell you I compare, Chicago Cuttery, Chefsharp and Hankel. Hankel blades are the worst, they are the softest. The cheap Chicago Cuttery was undoubtly the utmost best and hold the edge the best. I know because I make my knives much....I say much sharper than anything you can buy in the store. My knife can cut through 1" stack of paper towel in one slice motion. This is sharp if you are into knives.

1. Yes, I was looking at the 2011 model, and the CHTZ2401 is a 2010 or older model. Check out my previous post that I had to edit to add some additional relevant information on RedMax.

2. I understand about not wanting to keep paying to service and fix you equipment -- I dont like that BS either, cause in the end, you pay way more for the service than the tool cost to begin with. That is the same BS the automotive dealerships try to pull. I wasnt aware that Stihl did that. I found that the companies that do that kind of thing, shoot themselves in the foot, so to speak, sooner or later customers resent it and avoid those brands.

3. As for the blade types, I noticed that Stihl offers a choice of narrow or wider teeth openings. Jeesh, I cant afford to get a trimmer for every kind of teeth I need. Isnt there any other solution to that problem? My guess is to get the wider opening, hoping it will do large and small cuts on hedges, but I'm not in the landscaping business.

4. What a coincidence, just last night I had that tape measure out and was looking at in and trying to get a sense of what size trimmer would work well (only because I still need to get something different). I sensed that a 42.5" or even 40" is too long and the 29.3" is too short, and concluded a 36" is just right. But no one makes one. I wonder why?

5. I was just mentioning that the Swiss are known for their high quality tool steel.

Question: If what the Redmax engineer told me is true, that the blade connecting Rods have ball bearings, and the Maru and Shinny have needle bearings what does that mean in everyday usage? ... Btw, the Redmax website claims they have sealed steel needle bearings.

Alan0354
06-20-2011, 07:17 PM
From my understanding, Redmax also has needle bearing like you said the sealed needle bearing. There goes to show how much he know about their products. I learned from a while back not to ask question and concentrate on digging info myself. As I said, the IPL got to be very accurate, if not, they would have found out and fix it really quick. Service center depend on IPL to fix and order parts, that is bread and butter. If IPL is wrong, you might as well close shop.

The R version of Stihl has wider teeth. It is for going through bigger branches. I don't think you want that unless you have a lot of big branches to trim. They might not trim very well in regular hedging.

Yes, Stihl is the only one that you have a hard time getting IPL and information. From the IPL I finally get, both the HS45 and HS81 look quite cheap to be blunt. They got very few ball bearing for the price they want. They are very expensive. HS45 engine is one of the very very few in the industry don't even have ball bearing for the joint between the connecting rod and the wrist pin.

diyer999
06-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Alan0354,

Which do you think is the better choice:

Keep my 18" double blade trimmer and then also get a 40" (the 18" is too much work for some jobs), or sell the 18" and get a 30"? Normally I would prefer a 30" over a 40" but I dont have enough experience to know how much time and work a 40" would save me, only a little or alot. On one hand, having two trimmers would give me more flexibility with future tasks, but on the other hand, both are at opposite ends of practical tool sizes. I think a 30" is far more productive than the 18" yet, not as cumbersome as a 40." Maybe I should just follow thru with my original plan, get a 40" and if it becomes an issue, then sell it or sell both and then get a 30." Are there any jobs that are too big for a 30"?

Alan0354
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
You know, when you said you want a 40", I really don't want to say anything negative because to each their own. I think 40" is too long and the use is limited. From my experience, if I were to only keep one trimmer, even the double side 30" is slightly long. I like my 30" because I have the Echo 20" to fall back to for ball hedge and the detail work.

If you have a 18", I would stay 30" double sided would be my choice. I gone through months of looking and testing. I end up with the 30" double side with very good reason and I can tell you after half a year later, I would do it again now that I use the 30" double side. I can tell you I don't feel I get 2/3 more efficiency out of the 30" over the 20" hedge trimmer. So I don't think the inconvience of a 40" will make up a slight faster cut.

Yes, the feel and handling of the single side is much better, but being able to cut in both direction sweep is so much more efficient than single side that it is out of the question to me.......even I do have over 100' of boxwood that I trim very often and have to trim in very straight.

I am going to tell you my subjective opinion......Yes, I would not get rid of your 18", it's perfect. I would not get a 40" single side, I'll get a 30" double Maruyama HT2321L for about $360 to $390. I cannot tell you how much I like this one with two other ones that I have to compare with. Remember, this is my subjective opinion.....nothing more.

diyer999
06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
... I would not get rid of your 18", it's perfect. I would not get a 40" single side, I'll get a 30" double Maruyama HT2321L for about $360 to $390. I cannot tell you how much I like this one with two other ones that I have to compare with. Remember, this is my subjective opinion.....nothing more.

Ok, thank you. I really needed some advice based on experience. I think it is really nice and speaks to peoples integrity when they lend a hand, even though their own lives are so busy. Certainly the opposite of the greedy attitude and spirit in which Internet sites like Angie's List were conceived -- like saying to people, "I know what you want to know but if you dont pay me I aint tellin ya." Besides, I'll take the advice from guys/gals like you, and "friendly"Internet sites like this one, over the motivation of paying for the information. I feel that when the only thing at stake is your word and not money, I'm more likely to get the truth, people become more open and willing to share. I mean what's the big secret anyway? ... do a little homework and figure things out for yourself. The other way is such a proprietary based concept that in the end all it does is keep people at the bottom of the ladder at the bottom, and lets face it, that's most of mankind. Again, thank you very much.

Alan0354
06-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok, thank you. I really needed some advice based on experience. I think it is really nice and speaks to peoples integrity when they lend a hand, even though their own lives are so busy. Certainly the opposite of the greedy attitude and spirit in which Internet sites like Angie's List were conceived -- like saying to people, "I know what you want to know but if you dont pay me I aint tellin ya." Besides, I'll take the advice from guys/gals like you, and "friendly"Internet sites like this one, over the motivation of paying for the information. I feel that when the only thing at stake is your word and not money, I'm more likely to get the truth, people become more open and willing to share. I mean what's the big secret anyway? ... do a little homework and figure things out for yourself. The other way is such a proprietary based concept that in the end all it does is keep people at the bottom of the ladder at the bottom, and lets face it, that's most of mankind. Again, thank you very much.

You are more than welcome. Just happen I bought the Maru early this year and I did a lot of research, went through the same thing you gone through. Here is the best deal I found:

http://www.norwalkpower.net/store/pc/Maruyama-Hedge-Trimmers-c159.htm

I bought mine from TurfEagle only because Norwalk is in Calif and I have to pay sales tax. It is like$70 cheaper than any dealer offer in my area. I am in no way endorcing Norwalk, never bought from them, just has the best price. BTW, you can choose between rotating handle and non rotating handle. I can tell you, I never once rotate the handle yet. So you might want to save about $20 for that.

Keep us inform what you end up buying and how do you feel about it.

Southern Elegance
06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
we have 32's and 40's , they seldom get used. we use the hedge trimmer attachments for our weedeaters. makes the work a lot easier and faster

Alan0354
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
we have 32's and 40's , they seldom get used. we use the hedge trimmer attachments for our weedeaters. makes the work a lot easier and faster

I have the Shindaiwa M242 with articulate hedge attachment also. It serve different purpose. For trimming back ( not precise work), it work really well. Strong point is it reach high and still you can trimmer lower bushes. The disadvantage is it is harder to do precise work.

I do round ball shrubs trimming and that would be hard using the pole hedge trimmer. That's the reason I keep my 20" Echo.

On top of the big ones I have, I own a cheapy 6V battery Craftsman with 3" blades to do really fine work and to detail cleaning. I have a Juniper that cut in pom pom shape, each ball is too small for any big trimmer and I just use the little battery one to do it. Also Even after trimming the boxwood roll in rectangular shape, I walk around and inspect with the battery trimmer to do the finish touching where the big trimmer miss, particular during a long session of hedging trimmer and you are tired and tend to miss things. Only $39 and worth every penny to me.

diyer999
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
good thread and good info., been wanting to try maruyama trimmers, 40 inch bar sounds like a good tool to have handy.

So, how do you like that used 40" you purchased?

944own
06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Here is the shindaiwa trimmers

retrodog
06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a brand new 40" redmax I would give you for $200. It is from last year, so the blade has warped a little, but it is brand new, lmk if interested just pm me...
Posted via Mobile Device

bare spot
06-25-2011, 11:38 PM
So, how do you like that used 40" you purchased?

after the discussion in this thread about the what side the blade, being rt handed and throttle in my left hand (not to mention things got real busy) i been having second thoughts and put things on hold. do got enough tools here to get the shrubs cut, echo and tanaka but where i'm at now is leaning towards the double sided, maryuyama 30 in., poss. tanaka. wanted to go over the spec's and do some more looking but think with the double sided bar on the maruyama's, it only adds a few oz's in weight vs the single's for same size bar, i like and that a plus. so at this point idk, if only could get a better look at the single's other than a picture, think will make all the difference. btw think 40, although nice to have could be a poss. overkill, least for me, for now. hopefully by next wk i'll figure on a one and go from there

bare spot
06-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Here is the shindaiwa trimmers

that a good pic, of some nice trimmers. are u rt handed?, was it hard to get use to having to use the throttle with left? would guess after a while could get use to it.

bare spot
06-26-2011, 12:06 AM
I have the Shindaiwa M242 with articulate hedge attachment also. It serve different purpose. For trimming back ( not precise work), it work really well. Strong point is it reach high and still you can trimmer lower bushes. The disadvantage is it is harder to do precise work.

I do round ball shrubs trimming and that would be hard using the pole hedge trimmer. That's the reason I keep my 20" Echo.

On top of the big ones I have, I own a cheapy 6V battery Craftsman with 3" blades to do really fine work and to detail cleaning. I have a Juniper that cut in pom pom shape, each ball is too small for any big trimmer and I just use the little battery one to do it. Also Even after trimming the boxwood roll in rectangular shape, I walk around and inspect with the battery trimmer to do the finish touching where the big trimmer miss, particular during a long session of hedging trimmer and you are tired and tend to miss things. Only $39 and worth every penny to me.
alan, think u mention u had the the maruyama doubleside 30in trimmers. can i ask your opinion on how these would hold up for some heavy duty shrub cutting? and would they make quick work of it? thinking these trimmers are the way to go if job called for that.

Alan0354
06-26-2011, 12:31 AM
alan, think u mention u had the the maruyama doubleside 30in trimmers. can i ask your opinion on how these would hold up for some heavy duty shrub cutting? and would they make quick work of it? thinking these trimmers are the way to go if job called for that.

My Maru is still in the babying stage, I never really put it through the ringer yet. So I cannot in good concision to say one way or the other. I can tell you it cut really well. The construction is very beefy. Compare to Shindaiwa and Echo, it has more bracing to strengthen the unit to stand up to rough handling. Beyond that, I cannot promise you anything more. It does cut a little faster than the Echo and Shindaiwa. I read posts here that Maruyama have the best blades.

As I said in the pass, both piece of Maruyamas I have start in two pull cold, don't bog even if you pull throttle right after cold start, just won't pull full rpm for like 20 second. Plenty of power, I don't have any issue with either one.....well the hedge trimmer is only like 6 months old!!! It is very very quiet.

On this note, I have to give credit to my little Echo HC151, since I got my Shindaiwa three years ago, I mainly use it to compact recycle can. I stuff branches up to 1/4" into the can and stick the blade in and let it rip. I did this many times in the last three years and I though the blades must be done. I was presently surprised a few months ago when I use it to do flat surface hedging on rolls of boxwood and it still work really well. That is a tough cookie. I am sure the Maru will do just fine with that, but I am not about to try it for now. When I get tire of it and want another new toy, then I would try it!!!:laugh:

bare spot
06-26-2011, 12:45 AM
My Maru is still in the babying stage, I never really put it through the ringer yet. So I cannot in good concision to say one way or the other. I can tell you it cut really well. The construction is very beefy. Compare to Shindaiwa and Echo, it has more bracing to strengthen the unit to stand up to rough handling. Beyond that, I cannot promise you anything more. It does cut a little faster than the Echo and Shindaiwa. I read posts here that Maruyama have the best blades.

As I said in the pass, both piece of Maruyamas I have start in two pull cold, don't bog even if you pull throttle right after cold start, just won't pull full rpm for like 20 second. Plenty of power, I don't have any issue with either one.....well the hedge trimmer is only like 6 months old!!! It is very very quiet.

On this note, I have to give credit to my little Echo HC151, since I got my Shindaiwa three years ago, I mainly use it to compact recycle can. I stuff branches up to 1/4" into the can and stick the blade in and let it rip. I did this many times in the last three years and I though the blades must be done. I was presently surprised a few months ago when I use it to do flat surface hedging on rolls of boxwood and it still work really well. That is a tough cookie. I am sure the Maru will do just fine with that, but I am not about to try it for now. When I get tire of it and want another new toy, then I would try it!!!:laugh:

that's alright, sounds like the echo keeps on going, that's good though cause i have an echo here, extended version, hope it does the same. for me, and had to ask bout cause a real good heavy duty trimmer is something i should but don't have. thanks

944own
06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
that a good pic, of some nice trimmers. are u rt handed?, was it hard to get use to having to use the throttle with left? would guess after a while could get use to it.

Yes im right handed and I really never noticed but yea I use the throttle with the left. It is not hard to get used to at all it just feels right using these. Thinking about it using my stihl hs45 I do use my right hand for the throttle.

bare spot
06-26-2011, 01:30 AM
wanted to bring up a name no one mention, robin. anyone ever use them, or if still available?

Alan0354
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
How come this get moved over to Landscape?

diyer999
06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
How come this get moved over to Landscape?

I think the thread I started has been hijacked. I'm trying to send a pm and someone else is answering them ... posting and replying ... I'm no longer sure if the original pm offeree even knows who he/she made the pm offer to.

diyer999
06-28-2011, 04:39 PM
wanted to bring up a name no one mention, robin. anyone ever use them, or if still available?

I asked a dealer about these and he said it is not a major brand although you do hear it mentioned, because people think they have a Robins-Subaru engine, but do not.

Alan0354
06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Might be similar to Makita. Robin make trimmers and blowers for Makita. I looked into them long time ago, I ruled the hedge trimmer out because it is only a single ring engine.

Not saying all these make any difference, but these are what I set for my choosing standard:

1) Ball bearing one on each side of each gear.
2) Engine has to be two ring.
3) Cylinder must be bolted down by 4 bolts, not two ( sadly this eliminate Shindaiwa HT231.)
4) The model has to be around for at least 3 years. ( sadly this eliminate Shindaiwa HT254).
5) Has to have good reviews.

With that, only 2 stand out....Maru and Kawasaki 750D.

There was one person posted here that the Kawi overheat in 110 deg heat of Las Vagas summer and it is not available in Calif. So that one is out. By process of elimination, only Maru left. Also Shindaiwa new products are not the most reliable, only the EB802 has perfect reputation. The T242 and T282 are less than stella.

diyer999
06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Might be similar to Makita. Robin make trimmers and blowers for Makita. I looked into them long time ago

Cylinder must be bolted down by 4 bolts, not two

Yeah, me too, the Makita 4 stroke got my attention, but too many people were bad mouthing it. Robin looked identical except they were publishing better specs (probably exaggerated).

But what the heck is that cylinder 2 bolt 4 bolt thing about - sounds critical.

Alan0354
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, me too, the Makita 4 stroke got my attention, but too many people were bad mouthing it. Robin looked identical except they were publishing better specs (probably exaggerated).

But what the heck is that cylinder 2 bolt 4 bolt thing about - sounds critical.

I never heard anything bad about the Robin/Makita 4 cycle stuff. But their hedge trimmer is a two cycle with only one ring.

The cylinder bolted onto the crankcase. Some use only 2 bolts to bolt it down. Shindaiwa 231, Echo HC151, Redmax 25xx and even the Maruyama HT2300 are all using only two bolts. I am not saying it is not good, in perfect situation, it is ok as proven already. The metal used in cylinder and crankcase are very very brittle. If there is any manufacturing defect that cause internal stress around the mounting area, then it won't be good because there are only two anchor points for the two bolt cylinder. But on a 4 bolts cylinder, you are much safer. This is just my opinion, don't necessary mean anything. I just want to show you my thought process of elimination. I did look at the Makita and a lot of other hedge trimmers to come down to this. Since you did ask for more logical explanation rather raving on one particular brand, so I share with you my logic. Again, this is just me.

If you end up getting Maru, make sure get the 2321 number, 2300 is a 2 bolt. 2300 is cheaper, but I never suggested to you mainly for this reason.

bare spot
06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
been looking at the robin ht250, still undecided been pretty close to buying it. from what i know is they are still available and from what i read it leave's a nice cut. it's a 24 doublesided bar, would like a bigger bar but this size should work well, with the wt it comes in at. run robin trimmers, if this works anything like them, should work fine. is this the model with the two rings? btw had something else on my mind but gotta get back later, just got in.

Alan0354
06-28-2011, 10:22 PM
been looking at the robin ht250, still undecided been pretty close to buying it. from what i know is they are still available and from what i read it leave's a nice cut. it's a 24 doublesided bar, would like a bigger bar but this size should work well, with the wt it comes in at. run robin trimmers, if this works anything like them, should work fine. is this the model with the two rings? btw had something else on my mind but gotta get back later, just got in.

This is the link to get the IPL

http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/manuals.htm

Just click the parts manual of the HT250 and you can see it. It is a single ring. You can scroll down to the engine and look at #14, there is only one ring. Also the there is only two cylinder bolts #8 on the part list.

Don't know whether there is needle bearing on the connecting rod #6 of the gear case. But it does have two bearing for each gear one on each side.

As I said all that might not mean anything. Maybe I am just being too careful.

diyer999
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Alan0354;4078613]The cylinder bolted onto the crankcase. Some use only 2 bolts to bolt it down. Shindaiwa 231, Echo HC151, Redmax 25xx and even the Maruyama HT2300 are all using only two bolts. I am not saying it is not good, in perfect situation, it is ok as proven already. The metal used in cylinder and crankcase are very very brittle. If there is any manufacturing defect that cause internal stress around the mounting area, then it won't be good because there are only two anchor points for the two bolt cylinder. But on a 4 bolts cylinder, you are much safer[QUOTE]

I'm not an engineer but if what you are referring to is the head being joined to the block, I dont see how anything less than 3 bolts could give a proper even pressure on the head/gasket area, and 4 bolts would certainly seem to be even better.

Alan0354
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
This is the link to the IPL of Maruyama, just click on the HT2321DLR and you can see what I have been talking about.

http://maruyama-us.com/support/illustrated-parts-lists/

One thing I notice, the gear box of Maruyama looked similar to the Robin. I did not compare closely but it look similar. I won't be a bit surprise different brands share the same sub assembly with each other. The engine is different. Maruyama clearly has 4 bolt cylinder and two ring piston.

Alan0354
06-28-2011, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Alan0354;4078613]The cylinder bolted onto the crankcase. Some use only 2 bolts to bolt it down. Shindaiwa 231, Echo HC151, Redmax 25xx and even the Maruyama HT2300 are all using only two bolts. I am not saying it is not good, in perfect situation, it is ok as proven already. The metal used in cylinder and crankcase are very very brittle. If there is any manufacturing defect that cause internal stress around the mounting area, then it won't be good because there are only two anchor points for the two bolt cylinder. But on a 4 bolts cylinder, you are much safer[QUOTE]

I'm not an engineer but if what you are referring to is the head being joined to the block, I dont see how anything less than 3 bolts could give a proper even pressure on the head/gasket area, and 4 bolts would certainly seem to be even better.

That's exactly what I am talking about. I posted two link to the IPL, you'll be the judge. That's my feeling but there are plenty of engines as I pointed out on the market that only has two bolts and they seems to work fine. I am just being careful. I don't want to make the judgement, I just want to point it out. Call me crazy, I spent a lot of time printing out IPLs and put them side by side to compare the design before I buy one!!!!:laugh:

bare spot
06-29-2011, 12:37 AM
curious bout that, looking at a robin trimmer here, has similar (getting a little late to take it apart). alan btw, on the tanaka trimmers, would u know what are the stronger engines? looking last night i seen 2 with the same size bar, one was called pure fire i think.

bare spot
06-29-2011, 12:54 AM
yeah it's the pure fire, they have two with the same size bar. with pure fire available in ca.

Alan0354
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
curious bout that, looking at a robin trimmer here, has similar (getting a little late to take it apart). alan btw, on the tanaka trimmers, would u know what are the stronger engines? looking last night i seen 2 with the same size bar, one was called pure fire i think.

I went on Tanaka and notice they change a lot on their hedge trimmer, The old THT 2526 series supposed to have 4 bolt and two rings pure fire engine, they change to 2 bolt!!!! I don't know what to say about them. I don't like new 2 cycle model, because of the CARB, all the new generation are not as good as the older models.

Wise sales still might have the older model, no guaranty though:

http://www.wisesales.com/tanaka_hedge.html

Regarding to power. I never once feel I need more power. I use my 21cc Echo to compact the recycle can with 1/4" branches, I don't think I need any more power. Remember there is a big reduction of gear ratio in the hedge trimmer, you get a lot of torque on the blades. The Tanaka has the biggest engine....but so what!!!

bare spot
07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
here we go, wanted to get a few pic's after help i got. so far got bout 4 hrs in trimming a bunch of boxwoods here (of shapes and size's) and got a few upcoming jobs, looking forward to. didn't log as much time on the robins but for now, plan is for robins to see the heavy stuff, it's still to be broken, blades were cranking on it, it's gonna have some power. the tanaka, with the 26 bar, a comfortable trimmer to use, nice trimmer (both are). the handle rotates but didn't find myself using that, it's there if needed i guess. both are nice, gave a great cut, boxwoods came out great. btw alan there's 3 bolts on the robin, will get a pic..

Alan0354
07-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice. Keep us inform how it work.

bare spot
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
not sure bout the barrier bar on the one trimmer and if i like it there. anyway check that on those bolts.

bobcat48
07-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Echo,redmax and stihl.

diyer999
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I did a lot of research on hedge trimmer. The last one I bought is the Maruyama HT2321L. I study the gear box design of all the big brands....

Alan, I finally got a 40" H-T, a used but like new Redmax HTZ2460L. Its like new, no problems. A dealer had a demo and decide to sell it. Very quiet, very powerful. But I didnt get the one I had wanted (a Maru) -- I'll explain why. In the meantime, this thing is a monster. Awesome tool, but my 15 years of sitting in front of a PC as caught up with me. The next day after trimming a long wide bush I could even hold my coffee cup up with my one arm. Had to use the other arm to hold it up. Lower back has suffered too. Part of my use problem came from what I expected would happen, having to use a left handed tool when I throttle with my right. I had to actually switch just to use it. So, my Bro-in-Law who is a landscaper wants to buy it. He laughed when I told him that you had to be a 300 lb, 7 ft tall Lumberjack to use the thing. Anyway, I'm now thinking of an articulating short shaft trimmer. I think I will be able to handle it much easier.

I didnt go for the Kawa because I heard the blades were not up to standard, in short, blade quality issues, but supposedly good engines When I discovered the single ring piston and the two-bolt cylinder head of the Echo and Shinny that killed both of them immediately. Little Wonder and Mantis never stood a chance with their bronze bushings vs actual bearings. And Tanaka doesnt make such a tool. That left Red and Maru. I could not find any Maru equipment anywhere locally, and I wasnt too keen on ordering from a dealer in Louisiana. The equipment distributor that handled Maru for my area dealers dropped them this year and told me Maru has too many internal problems, but he did like their equipment. So, I called the new distributor and they said they would have a dealer call me, but no one ever did - and they did that several times to me. Turned out to be some locla landscaper with no brick and mortar address > OMG!!! So, I kept on them and they had no answer for me and told me to call Maru-usa in Texas, which I did. That only made things worse. I complained that there were no local dealers for the Maru brand and the nearest was in another state, but it didnt matter cause even they did not stock any Maru, and that former Maru dealers cursed the brand for months long waiting for parts, so what was the point of even trying ...

There is some prick (bleep bleep) there from England running the usa end of it, and he is a real SOB to deal with. Maru Customer Service must have told him about my complaints of no dealers, products, or customer response. This F'n ass___e calls me back, and threatens me that I am harassing them and starts talking sickening legal mumbo-jumbo, and in reality it is because they have egg on their face, and they dont like how it feels. Maru really needs to get rid of him as their US rep. People like him ruin companies. So, I threw in the towel on that brand. For me, Maru is nothing more than a company only on paper. Cant imagine what I would do had I gotten a tool and had to submit a warranty claim.

Now, keep in mind, and no disrespect to you, I appreciate your help and I learned a great deal about what to look for in these type products. I truly believe that if I lived where you do and could buy from Norwalk my Maru experience would most likely had a different outcome.

PS. About the front bearings on the gears issue, I am going to modify this HT and when do I will examine the gearbox and let you know what I find. Redmax dealers assured me that the design you spoke of for the Maru is a proven one, albeit, an older design. They said the newer designed HT by Red is to press fit the bearing right into each of the Rods. The parts breakdown shows the bearing and the rod separate but they are press git together (had a parts guy pull one). The new 2012 Red catalog also mentions two different sets of front bearings (maybe they are hiding the details). At any rate, I got it for a steal and I can sell it in a heartbeat for as much, so, not a loss at all. :cool2:

Thank you much,
diyer