PDA

View Full Version : Urushiol in smoke haze?

44DCNF
06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Florida LCO's:

Has urushiol in the airborn smoke haze caused poison ivy rash to anyone yet?
Is an airborne breakout similar to dermal contact? I know it can enter the lungs as one thing being different.

I broke out on my neck and upper body after working in the smokey haze yesterday. Winds had not kept it away as well as prior days. Since I've had dermal contact with the plant and not broke out before, it may not be from urushiol, but I think I remember the oil in smoke after the plant is burned is much more aggressive. Wondering if maybe it is the cause of lung irritation after the day in the smoke as well. Campire smoke does not usually bother me so I was surprised the brush fires smoke did. That's why I suspect or question the possibility of p.i. being burned in the fires. Its been 12-18 hours......would most folks be blistered up by now if it were smoke borne urushiol?

What say ye local regulars?

Aside from that I have a helpful tip for anyone suffering lung distress from the smoke. Take a teaspoon of each - 1 t. honey and 1 t. cinnamon and mix together well. I learned to use this for hayfever stuffyness with great results. Eat it and allow to melt slowly in your mouth, even leaving some under your tongue for a minute for quicker absorption. Cinnamon is a natural vaso-dialator and will leave your lungs and sinuse feeling invigorated. Two doses about two hours apart kept away my lung pain from the smoke overnight and it has not returned yet.

Ric
06-15-2011, 10:55 AM

While I have read about the smoke from Poison Oak & Ivy being a potential killer, I have yet to of heard about happening here in Florida. We have our share of brush Fires here and are presently under Extreme fire danger conditions. We have Poison Ivy, Oak & Sumac etc. But I am thinking we have so much other undergrowth that it out competes it. Therefore when we have a brush fire the other smoke is thick enough to chase man and beast before the Poison smoke does any damage.

BTW My neighbor is a fireman and explained the color of smoke to me one day as we watched a control burn smoke in the distance. I am not going to try and explain something I am not real knowledgeable on. There are enough Fireman on LS that should be able to explain it better.

44DCNF
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks much ric. I am still in florida now if you weren't aware. Your reply has put me at ease. The rash has not got worse so it's not likely what I thought.

Lets hope and pray the Gov's declaration will help things. You stay safe and keep a very close eye on your hydration level. Thanks again.

Ric
06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks much ric. I am still in florida now if you weren't aware. Your reply has put me at ease. The rash has not got worse so it's not likely what I thought.

Lets hope and pray the Gov's declaration will help things. You stay safe and keep a very close eye on your hydration level. Thanks again.

Why are you not back up North tending your accounts?? Is this not your busy season??

Surely I hope you didn't make the financial mistake of coming to Florida at this time during our great depression. It shouldn't take long this time of year to realize there are more Grass Cutter now than lawns to mow. We are still in a drought and the Irrigation companies don't have enough paying customers.