PDA

View Full Version : How often to sharpen blades??

chapandrew6
06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I was wondeing if anyone had an idea of how many hours they have on their mower before they will sharpen the blades? Just noticed this week that my blades are cutting all the grass so I bought a second set of blades (easier to just put a new set on and then I can buy a grider or something to sharpen the old set). My mower only has 32 hours on it and I figured I could go a year before I would need to sharpen them. I only have 6 yards, maybe a total of 3 acres that this mower cuts and im cutting once a week. bought the mower at the end of last year and with our drought in ohio, i only had 9 hours on it by the end of the season (plus I was only cutting 2 yards at the time). Its a Cub Cadet ZTR50.

Thanks

epm
06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I like to change every 8-12 hours. So dependant on you workload, daily.

rob640
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I inspect them daily and usualy sharpen once a week. sharper blades, smoother cuts, wont burn the grass as easy as dull blades

chapandrew6
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I inspect them daily and usualy sharpen once a week. sharper blades, smoother cuts, wont burn the grass as easy as dull blades

If you sharpen them about once a week, how many yards do you have / how many acres do you have to cut?

vencops
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I change mine every 15hours on the ZTR. No more than I use the WB, I can't judge how often to change them, yet. My WB doesn't have an hour meter.

Good luck. In my VERY limited experience, I can still see when I need to change them. My goal is to get them changed before that time.

Exact Rototilling
06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Freshly sharpened blades go on on every 8-12 lawns. Sometimes more frequently. As soon as the blades feel even slightly rounded they get pulled. The higher the lift of the blade the quicker they get dull. Oregon blades really do stay sharp longer.

I currently use an angle grinder and Iím able to maintain very consistent angles. I have my methods in doing so. I currently use a cone balancer. Iím looking for an excuse to buy a Magana matic 8000 or 9000 and balancer. I know this will save me time and the cost of going through course grit discs. It just needs to pay for itís self somehow. Been considering opening shop on the side sharpening blades.

chapandrew6
06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess it goes to show im still a rookie at this....hehe. im guessing I probably need to swap mine about once a month. Just gotta find some type of cheap sharpender.....neighbor was telling me about a thing that attaches to your drill for about $10 up at home depot that is an angle grinder or works perfect for sharpening the blades.

dhardin53
06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Gators magnums (Oregon) last a long time. But I mow very deep grass/weeds 30 yards last month, all grass was over 24" tall. Than 25 yards a week of my own commercial and residential yards. I try not to over sharpen but if I go over 2 weeks my residential and commercial lawns start looking rather shabby and have to slow down to get a satisfactory cut. I really wear the blade down if I wait to long. All i get is about 3 or 4 sharpens out of a gator. On average use 3 or 4 sets a year.

Angel grinder or a big bench grinder is what I use to bring it to straight consistent tip. Not super sharp.

chapandrew6
06-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Gators magnums (Oregon) last a long time. But I mow very deep grass/weeds 30 yards last month, all grass was over 24" tall. Than 25 yards a week of my own commercial and residential yards. I try not to over sharpen but if I go over 2 weeks my residential and commercial lawns start looking rather shabby and have to slow down to get a satisfactory cut. I really wear the blade down if I wait to long. All i get is about 3 or 4 sharpens out of a gator. On average use 3 or 4 sets a year.

Angel grinder or a big bench grinder is what I use to bring it to straight consistent tip. Not super sharp.

So are you saying that you have to buy 3-4 sets of blades every year? I thought blades would last YEARS before having to be thrown out.....

GravyTrain
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I put on a new set of blades at the beginning of last season (if I remember correctly). I'm a part time and last year only had less than 20 customers all season all between 10-14 days between cuts. I bought a new set of blades this past weekend, and realized that it was about a month over due (i just kept putting it off, can't really say why).

As for sharpening, I sharpen about once a week or twice a week. I'd guess that is somewhere between 8-16 hours of mowing between sharpening.

Get Some...
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Somehow that does not seem right.

coopmaster
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I sharpen the blade on my Toro 20192 every monday morning (about 25 cuts).
on my BOP Quick 36" I sharpen them every 2 weeks or about every 20 cuts.

dwlah
06-15-2011, 05:24 PM
I change mine at least once a week averages about 10-15 hours When I was going full time I would change them a couple of times a week
I have about 10-12 sets of blades so about once a month or so Ill have a blade sharpening party

BINKY1902
06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I sharpen about every 10 hours of use, so twice a week.

R & R Yard Designs
06-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Every 6-8 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
06-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Somehow that does not seem right.

Ditto, something seems WAY off here!

tigerfan88
06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
To begin with...the mower you are using - RZT50 - is a homeowner model designed for 40-60 hrs of use per year. It comes with crappy, thin blades. Grass is grwon in soil(dirt). Dirt acts like sandpaper to a blade and quickly dulls them. Buy a couple of sets of Rotary aftermarket blades from a local dealer(you will not find these in Home Depot or Lowes). Buy a 4 1/2 inch side grinder and sharpen the blades when they get dull. Then, when you get ready to really get in this business...buy a real mower, not homeowner grade stuff!

delphied
06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I used to change mine weekly. Now, every 30 to 40 hours unless I think they were damaged. My mowers cut is dandy at that.

jsslawncare
06-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I had a RZT50 that my son use on our yard. DON'T buy the Cub Cadet blades, buy Oregon blades for it. I change mine about every 2 to 3 days.