PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 2011 Super Z, then got a Scag Cheetah

JTLarson
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I've posted on here about the 2011 Super Z in other posts, but I was having a problem with it leaving strips of grass when mowing above 3 inches. So, after reading lots about Scag and going to the other mower I had picked out, I went and picked up a Scag Cheetah. I'm probably stupid for doing so, but I was upset with the Hustler and kept reading positive things about Scag.

I would have lost over 50% trading, so I kept the Hustler and will compare them until I hopefully sell it.

I have had Hustlers for the last several years. I have ran Exmark, Jacobsen, and Deere. I like the smoothness of the Hustler. The integrated parking brake is nice. Dealer support and service have been great. The 2011 Super didn't meet the hype I was expecting. From the heavy run flats up front, higher platform, strips of grass at higher cuts, and the hydro belt still getting knocked off by sticks, several things didn't seem "better" to me.

In comparison, the Cheetah is new and I'm getting use to it. The controls are a lot "tighter" and responsive on the Scag. I can definately feel the stiffness, or rigidness of the Scag, in comparison to the Hustler with the suspension seat and flex forks. The suspension platform seems to really smooth out some areas, but other areas it seems rougher. The hydros are really fast on the Scag, then when I jump back on the Super Z the hydros feel "sloppy". Then I jumped on my friends X-ONE and they felt sloppier yet! It just depends what you are use to, because after I run the Scag for quite a while it seems smooth. The mow and the striping on the Scag seem better so far. I haven't sharpened the blades yet, so I may mess that up!! There is a spring on the deck that vibrates making quite a noise, but the mechanic at the shop told me about it before I bought it and gave me some ideas how to reduce it. The fold away ROPS is very nice, but I'm just wondering in time how much rattling all of the sheet metal on the back will make as it wears. Both mowers have the 31 Kawasaki. The Scag seems to bog down less when going up a steep incline. The Hustler handles better going downhill, but the Scag seems to hold a bank and turn on one better than the Hustler.

I will try to add more as time goes by and I have more time on the machines. 120 hrs on the Hustler so far, and 8 on the Scag. Wish me luck!
Add any comments or ask any questions. Thanks.

GMLC
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the Scag family!!! You will not be disappointed with the velocity deck as it has one of the best cuts and performs well in all conditions. Scags are built extremely tough and you should get many trouble free years of use.

weeze
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
that's cool...now maybe we can get a clear view of the differences between each of those mowers...i'm sure they both have good and bad about them like everything does lol

Ridin' Green
06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
This thread needs pics!!!

Seriously, how about some of the two side by side, and maybe some of the cuts made by the two. Good review so far.

orourke15
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Would love to have those mowers! Huge upgrade over my Deere 737. What you asking for the Super Z?

weeze
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
oh yeah we need pics of the same yard ....cut a strip with one mower and another with the other so we can see the difference in the cut and things like that lol

MGV
06-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Hey JT, I did the same as you except I bought my Hustler super Z back in 06 when the XR-7 deck was supposed to be the best on the market. I should have got the machine as a demo first. The first lawn I cut I was disappointed in cut quality. Now Hustler was real good and sent a few upgrades to the underside of the deck, helped a little but not what I was hoping for. So I have a little over 1000 hrs on it and the only problem was a hydro pump and wheel motor went bad. Of course just after warranty expired. So this spring I wanted to get rid of my Toro that was my oldest machine and I purchased the Scag turf tiger 61" cut 27 HP Kohler. The scag with the velocity plus deck out cuts the hustler hands down in wet and high spring time grass. The hustler feels a little quicker and lighter than the scag but the scag cuts better. Good luck with your new machine, I'm sure you will like it as much as I like mine.

Mickhippy
06-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Im interested in these machines too! Subscribe!

Chevy z71
06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Subscribe for some scag pictures.

JTLarson
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I will work on trying to get some pics to post. A lot of the lawns around here are drying up, but there is rain in the forecast and I still have a couple that stripe up pretty good. I shouldn't say they are ALL drying up since I have lost a few due to the flooding taking place here in southwest Iowa. My stripes with the Scag seem to be shakey since I'm not use to the quicker hydros, but I'm getting better.

The Hustler is a 31/60 and the Scag is a 31/61. I'm so use to the Hustler that the Scag feels like a 72! Several tight spots that I went thru with the Hustler are not possible with the Scag. The Scag feels like it has a wider/firmer stance. I float over some of the holes that the Hustler wanted to drop into. I'm sure I will get use to the stance eventually. I "float" the deck with my foot quite a bit (habit I guess) and find the Scag is lighter (more spring assist), but I have more time on the Hustler so I am able to "feel" the contour better. The Cheetah is a little tough since the operator platform is moving. It feels like the deck is floating all over, but it is me instead.

Several posts I have read talked about how much longer a Scag was, but I haven't noticed or had any hangups. I actually think the Hustler drug the wheelie wheels more than the Scag has touched the back end. A friend of mine has a Turf Tiger with the suspension seat, so we may get together and compare one of these days.

Sorry if I ramble, I just like to share the information I can.

tuffram
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Keep us posted I will be in the market to add a bigger ZTR next year. I will be looking long and hard at the Hustler and Scag mowers any info you can provide will help me as well as others in what to look for when considering purchasing one of the mowers.

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Keep us posted I will be in the market to add a bigger ZTR next year. I will be looking long and hard at the Hustler and Scag mowers any info you can provide will help me as well as others in what to look for when considering purchasing one of the mowers.

Same here, both of these brands are in my top 5 choices.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Same here, both of these brands are in my top 5 choices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Other than Kubota, these are the only two brands I would even consider buying.

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a Scag WB and if the new kubotas don't cut better than the one I have or better than Scag or hustler I will be leaving kubota.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I have a Scag WB and if the new kubotas don't cut better than the one I have or better than Scag or hustler I will be leaving kubota.
Posted via Mobile Device

What year Kubota do you have?? Mine is a 2010 zg 222 pro commercial deck and the cut is excellent I have no problems with the cut quality I know the older Kubota decks did not perform well.

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
It's an 06, dealer says it is the pro deck but not the new pro commercial deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawnut101
06-18-2011, 12:11 AM
I was thinking about buying a Super Z with the XR-7 deck. The one dealer said it cuts great. I talked to another dealer who said the VX4 deck on the X-one was the way to go. I want to demo one, but apparently they don't do that...

orourke15
06-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Lawnnut101, I am in Madison area and the only Hustler dealer is in New Glarus. Its called Sugar River Powersports and he keeps a X-1 on a trailer just for demos. So maybe let your dealer know this and they may reconsider or take the drive to New Glarus as they are great people and will bend over backward to please you.

pelt35
06-18-2011, 11:33 AM
and you can pick yourself up a case of Spotted Cow while you are there too!!!

ommegang
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Had to reply in order to make it four in a row from WI. Lawnut101: I just picked up a 2006 36" WB from the Bobcat dealer in West Bend. How do upu like the Exmark vantage? I love the suspension on my Ferris but my old Exmark Metro WB seemed to cut better. I just drove my buddie's 52" 25HP Kohler Husq and it was night and day vs my Ferris ride wise. Maybe some different baldes on my Ferris?

DaveWB
06-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Had to reply in order to make it four in a row from WI. Lawnut101: I just picked up a 2006 36" WB from the Bobcat dealer in West Bend. How do upu like the Exmark vantage? I love the suspension on my Ferris but my old Exmark Metro WB seemed to cut better. I just drove my buddie's 52" 25HP Kohler Husq and it was night and day vs my Ferris ride wise. Maybe some different baldes on my Ferris?
I believe I'm the one that bought the Exmark off you, your in sussex right?

ommegang
06-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Yep. Small internet world. I didn't realize you wer'e only 16. That's a whole lot of ZTR for age 16. Wish I was that enreprenurial at that age. I purchased a motorcycle at that age. The damn ZTRs cost more than my first few cars together.

JTLarson
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I have some pics, but still haven't figured out how to get them on here from my phone yet. Mowed half a yard with the Super Z and the other half with the Cheetah. I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the stripes. Both machines stripe very well. I have since raised the baffle all the way up on the Hustler to see if this helps. I have lowered it in the past and didn't gain anything. Everything has dried out quite a bit, so the mowing conditions aren't like they were in the Spring and both mowers seem to do fine. In really thick/dense grass the Scag seems to want to leave a little windrow of grass along the previous pass tire track. Does everyone leave the small plate bolted in the chute opening on their Velocity Plus decks, or should I remove this to maybe reduce this windrowing?

The Hustler seems to throw the clippings further, but the Scag disperses them a little better other than the little windrow strip. This was on a yard mowed at 3.5", so maybe the tire tracks were just more prominent?

Had a friend who runs Hustlers work with me Friday so we could compare mowers. I think the Hustler is easier to trim with ( now that I am use to the tucked in anti-scalp wheels), but the other guy liked the Scag better because he has an older Hustler with the anti-scalp wheels sticking out to gage off of.

Of no importance to mowing, we did GPS both the 2011 Super Z and the Cheetah. The Hustler did make the 15 mph that they claim, while the Cheetah reached 17 mph, exceeding the 16 they claim.

On some of the rough properties I mow, I think the Hustler does a better job. A lot of people are afraid that the flex forks allow dipping and scalping, but I think they actually smooth out the whole machine. The Cheetah on the other hand bounces the deck pretty good because the front casters and frame are so rigid. I have left some circular blade marks with the Scag because by the time you feel the bump on it the deck has already bounced and scalped. Just taking some time getting use to the different rides and feel of each machine.

I do like the run flats on the Scag better. They fit the wheels better and don't feel as heavy when they are castering on a bank, etc. The Hustler run flats get soft when it gets hot and are only really touching on the bottom side of the rim. They seem to lean left and right and almost look like they could roll off the rim sometimes.

The longer tanks hanging over the outer spindle bolts is a pain. Can't use an impact on the top side. Reaching all the way up and over thru the hatch on the floor pan is kind of a reach also to change the middle blade.

Thats all I have for now. Still gonna work on getting those pics on here. Can't do it from my mobile, so I will try to get them on the computer and then on to here.

I haven't decided on if I should sell one or not. I was thinking $9500 if I did, but still unsure. May keep both, may sell the Scag. Haven't decided. Having too much fun playin!! :)

JTLarson
06-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Here are some pics. 1st 1 is loaded to come home from the dealer. 2nd 1 is Cheetah stripes. 3rd 1 is 2011 Super Z stripes. 4th and 5th ones are of Hustler stripes to the left and Scag stripes to the right. I am standing on the stripe seem of where the 2 meet. Hard to tell much difference.

Chevy z71
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Nice mowers.

JTLarson
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Another pic.

tuffram
06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Very nice mowers wish I could afford one of each.

tuffram
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Another pic.

That looks like one very heavy-duty trailer very nice.

tuffram
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I love how the ROPS folds down on the Cheetah very nice feature.

Ridin' Green
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd say you're right, very hard to tell any difference between the two (at least in pics anyway).
I'd also say- be thankful you could afford to buy both, that I think you should probably keep 'em both ( one to back up the other with an equally fine cut), and enjoy 'em- BOTH!:)

tacoma200
06-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I've never had windrow problems with a Velocity plus deck in the years I've used them. I use high lifts, or super high lifts with the front baffle all the way down. I would never consider removing any bracket or baffle on the Velocity, they are there for a reason. You may want to experiment with blades? The Velocity is at it's best in thick grass.

JTLarson
06-26-2011, 09:12 PM
There is just one spot in my grandmas yard that wants to clump in the tire track of the previous pass. This is the only place I have noticed this so I am not gonna worry about it. I just go back over it and fan it out. The Velocity Plus definately lays down a better cut. On an open, rougher area with a higher mix of fescue the hustler seems to handle better. Higher speeds and rougher ground of more commercial or pasture-like areas suit the Hustler very well. The Hustler seems to leave larger pieces of grass even tho I measured both openings getting 18" on the Scag, and around 15 on the Hustler.

The Scag starts easier and smoother. The Hustler takes a little more cranking. Not sure why or if its that big of a deal. One thing i did discover is that the Scag will not start unless you are in the seat. I just happened to be wanting to warm them up to change the oil and the Scag would not start. Granted most of the time you are in the seat when you start them anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

demhustler
06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
J., did you raced them side-by side? how both 31 hp stand to each-other?
anything similar or diff. from:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=349755
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxmVdUNADc4
(in race above we don't know hp of movers)

JTLarson
06-28-2011, 11:09 PM
We didnt race them side by side. I think it would be similar. The Scag does seem to have a little more lag getting to speed. We may run them side by side one of these days.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd give the edge in cut quality and stripe to the Scag just frm looking at the pics. But it is very close. Comfort the Hustler will always win against the Scag. If only they could build the perfect machine, they always excell on 1 or 2 things but leave out something else thats equally important. Comfort, cut quality, dependability, servicability, and hillside traction up and down, are just a few things I would like to see 1 company excell at. Or I could just buy a bigger trailer and put 1 of each mower on it. Enjoy your toys.

TLS
07-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Slight thread-jack.....but complimentary to subject! lol

Yesterday, my Super-Z (2006 XR-7) had catastrophic hydro failure. Trim-side hydro (Exhaust side. Coincidence?) was weak since Spring (cant remember, but pretty sure this was the same side that went last time). It pooped-the-bed at, get this guys...the end of a lawn. That's right, I was just double cutting the back yard of a house when the trim-side stick just gave out and jerked a few times. I was able to nurse it back to the trailer, and gunned from a roll it to get it up the ramp! This is now my 3rd issue with hydros on it! (1300hrs)

In any event, took it to my dealer to have fixed. Asked for a loaner...he looked on the board to see what was available..."all we have left in the way of a rider is a 25hp SCAG", I say..."Hey, at this point as long as it cuts grass faster then my 48" walkbehind, I'll be happy!"

I'm having visions of a 10 year old Turf Tiger!

He brings it out a Tiger Cat 61" cut with a 25hp Kohler. It looks brand new, and has 60hrs on it. Not sure of the year, but SCAG doesn't list a 25 Kohler currently on their site.

---LIKES AND DISLIKES---

Cut quality is AMAZING! This Velocity Plus deck cuts like a dream. No double cutting necessary. No stringers/stragglers, nothing uncut! I finally got the XR-7 cutting decently, but this Velocity Plus just BLOWS it away!

It's a nice, compact, lightweight machine with good visibility all around.

Trimmability is great, rear of deck (curving back to rear tires) on both sides, is unobstructed and has no anti-scalp wheels to get in the way. Nice and tight to the rear tires.

Deck foot lift is nice and light (nice when feathering over obstacles).

Low seat height (and that's coming from someone who owns a Hustler!)

Well constructed idler pivots. Like how the hydro idler is ABOVE the engine plate.

Dislikes:

8 gallons of gas??? Really? Been used to 15 gallons on the Hustler. This is and will always be a deal breaker for me. Filling up takes time. Time I'd rather be mowing and getting done quicker!

Slow. I forgot just how slow 10mph really is!

Hydro's are firm (heavily dampened), and well....remind me of every other 10cc pumped ZTR.

I miss the Hustler integrated parking brake!

Rough riding. Seems to have air tires all around, have to check pressures (don't know what they have them set at).

No suspension seat. Makes rough riding even rougher! Very little padding.

ROPS is a joke (in general). Last mower I had that came factory equipped with ROPS was my old 1993 JD F-935, it was promptly removed. The ROPS on this would absolutely be removed if I owned one. I did some damage to trees, and the pin clips came undone several times. Only folds back 90 degrees and has a high and wide fold point.

While the Velocity Plus deck CUTS well, it sure isn't the smoothest running. The two (?) spring loaded idlers on the deck are really busy down there! Constantly shaking. Although it's a tri-plate deck, there are no lateral strengtheners on the deck. I think this may be some of the cause of the insane idler movement. You can see deck flex by watching spindle bolts on blade start-up.

Without me getting a tape measure out, this 61" deck seems a LOT wider than my 60" XR-7. So much so, that I found 3 places that I normally cut through with the Hustler, that this Velocity Plus just wouldn't fit! Maybe my Hustler is actually 59", and this SCAG is actually 62"? In any event, seems much wider.

No strengthening deck wrap around the trimside? My older SCAG walkbehind is wearing around the bottom of the trimside deck skirt. I've seen numerous Turf Tigers that wore out this area and wondered why not weld a band around this area?

It seems to have a LOT of side to side deck movement. Kind of reminds me of an old Lazer with 3K hours on it. Way too much lateral movement for a 60hr machine. Is this common to SCAG ZTR's?

I know the Hustler spoils me, but the oil filter on this Tiger Cat isn't easy to get a hand around.

Weight distribution is funky. I find it slipping when coming to a stop, and hill holding for such a low COG machine isn't all that good. I'm thinking it has a bit too much front weight. This would be made worse with ROPS removal I'm sure. The afterthought of that cast iron rear weight (who ADDS ballast weight to a ZTR??) maybe should have been heavier?

LOTS and LOTS of dust! This is in the dislike section, but is likely what makes this deck cut so darn good. Even idling this thing down, it still kicked up a LOT of dust!

Not sure I like the trim side anti-scalp wheel, and if it's really needed? Sticks way out front, and collects grass. Looks like an afterthought.

The front center (3 wheel) anti-scalp rollers are intrusive to front trimmability. A single 4" wide roller would be a nicer, less obtrusive design.

In conclusion....

I wouldn't buy this particular machine. But like so many other ZTR's, it has a lot of great things, but a few downers. Everyone's taste and needs are different. There are a few things I would change to make it suit my needs better.....

What I think it needs...

16cc pumps (12-14mph)

Minimum 12gal fuel

30+hp engine

Stronger gusseted top tray on deck.

Different deck idler system for smoother vibration-less operation.

Suspension seat

Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Tiger Cat and the Wildcat??? Seems to be so minor for a name difference?

MJB
07-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Yesterday, my Super-Z (2006 XR-7) had catastrophic hydro failure. Trim-side hydro (Exhaust side. Coincidence?) was weak since Spring (cant remember, but pretty sure this was the same side that went last time). It pooped-the-bed at, get this guys...the end of a lawn. That's right, I was just double cutting the back yard of a house when the trim-side stick just gave out and jerked a few times. I was able to nurse it back to the trailer, and gunned from a roll it to get it up the ramp! This is now my 3rd issue with hydros on it! (1300hrs)

In any event, took it to my dealer to have fixed. Asked for a loaner...he looked on the board to see what was available..."all we have left in the way of a rider is a 25hp SCAG", I say..."Hey, at this point as long as it cuts grass faster then my 48" walkbehind, I'll be happy!"

He brings it out a Tiger Cat 61" cut with a 25hp Kohler. It looks brand new, and has 60hrs on it. Not sure of the year, but SCAG doesn't list a 25 Kohler currently on their site.

---LIKES AND DISLIKES---

Cut quality is AMAZING! This Velocity Plus deck cuts like a dream. No double cutting necessary. No stringers/stragglers, nothing uncut! I finally got the XR-7 cutting decently, but this Velocity Plus just BLOWS it away!

Trimmability is great, rear of deck (curving back to rear tires) on both sides, is unobstructed and has no anti-scalp wheels to get in the way. Nice and tight to the rear tires.

Well constructed idler pivots. Like how the hydro idler is ABOVE the engine plate.

Dislikes:

8 gallons of gas??? Really? Been used to 15 gallons on the Hustler. This is and will always be a deal breaker for me. Filling up takes time. Time I'd rather be mowing and getting done quicker!

Hydro's are firm (heavily dampened), and well....remind me of every other 10cc pumped ZTR.

Rough riding. Seems to have air tires all around, have to check pressures (don't know what they have them set at).

ROPS is a joke (in general). Last mower I had that came factory equipped with ROPS was my old 1993 JD F-935, it was promptly removed. The ROPS on this would absolutely be removed if I owned one. I did some damage to trees, and the pin clips came undone several times. Only folds back 90 degrees and has a high and wide fold point.

While the Velocity Plus deck CUTS well, it sure isn't the smoothest running. The two (?) spring loaded idlers on the deck are really busy down there! Constantly shaking. Although it's a tri-plate deck, there are no lateral strengtheners on the deck. I think this may be some of the cause of the insane idler movement. You can see deck flex by watching spindle bolts on blade start-up.

Without me getting a tape measure out, this 61" deck seems a LOT wider than my 60" XR-7. So much so, that I found 3 places that I normally cut through with the Hustler, that this Velocity Plus just wouldn't fit! Maybe my Hustler is actually 59", and this SCAG is actually 62"? In any event, seems much wider.

No strengthening deck wrap around the trimside? My older SCAG walkbehind is wearing around the bottom of the trimside deck skirt. I've seen numerous Turf Tigers that wore out this area and wondered why not weld a band around this area?

It seems to have a LOT of side to side deck movement. Kind of reminds me of an old Lazer with 3K hours on it. Way too much lateral movement for a 60hr machine. Is this common to SCAG ZTR's?

I know the Hustler spoils me, but the oil filter on this Tiger Cat isn't easy to get a hand around.

Weight distribution is funky. I find it slipping when coming to a stop, and hill holding for such a low COG machine isn't all that good. I'm thinking it has a bit too much front weight. This would be made worse with ROPS removal I'm sure. The afterthought of that cast iron rear weight (who ADDS ballast weight to a ZTR??) maybe should have been heavier?

LOTS and LOTS of dust! This is in the dislike section, but is likely what makes this deck cut so darn good. Even idling this thing down, it still kicked up a LOT of dust!

Not sure I like the trim side anti-scalp wheel, and if it's really needed? Sticks way out front, and collects grass. Looks like an afterthought.

The front center (3 wheel) anti-scalp rollers are intrusive to front trimmability. A single 4" wide roller would be a nicer, less obtrusive design.

In conclusion....

I wouldn't buy this particular machine. But like so many other ZTR's, it has a lot of great things, but a few downers. Everyone's taste and needs are different. There are a few things I would change to make it suit my needs better.....

What I think it needs...

16cc pumps (12-14mph)

Minimum 12gal fuel

30+hp engine

Suspension seat

Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Tiger Cat and the Wildcat??? Seems to be so minor for a name difference?

Great Review Tommy.

Didn't you have the wheel motors replaced with the beefed up wheel motors Hustler said would fix the problem ? Thats why I jumped at the chance to sell my Super Z . I couldn't trust it, or depend on it. I had about the same hours on mine and got $3500 for it.

You'll always miss the integrated parking brake, and smooth ride that Hustler has but it's worth it if you can't get the cut quality and dependability to be on par with other machines. The new Hustlers got me a little excited but even those are having some cutting issues in Iowa. So when will one company step up and give us a mower that excells at all the points mentioned in just this thread.

Keep us updated , sounds like you are close to buying new again.

SouthSide Cutter
07-02-2011, 01:07 PM

---LIKES AND DISLIKES---

Dislikes:

In conclusion....

What I think it needs...

16cc pumps (12-14mph)

Minimum 12gal fuel

30+hp engine

Suspension seat

Everything you said is right on. It may have some flaws. Got mine for less than 7 and have a supension seat. Find myself using it more than my TT. It could use more speed find myself with sticks all the way forward alot.

djagusch
07-02-2011, 01:57 PM

---LIKES AND DISLIKES---

Dislikes:

In conclusion....

What I think it needs...

16cc pumps (12-14mph)

Minimum 12gal fuel

30+hp engine

Suspension seat

You understand you are comparing scags entry level commerical mower to hustlers top of the line? Compare it to a tt if you have a chance, makes a tiger cub/cat seem like a tonka toy.

Tiger cat to wildcat major difference is hydro cooler, engine combos and maybe front wheel size.

Scags come with replacable wear pads on the side of the deck since at least 2008. Most can have suspended seats just order the right model. Dust from the deck is a pitch/baffel deal. Tires can be aired down to 8psi to make it ride much better, if you want it even softer put the ribbed front tires on that hustler uses.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
07-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Great Review Tommy.

Didn't you have the wheel motors replaced with the beefed up wheel motors Hustler said would fix the problem ? Thats why I jumped at the chance to sell my Super Z . I couldn't trust it, or depend on it. I had about the same hours on mine and got $3500 for it.

You'll always miss the integrated parking brake, and smooth ride that Hustler has but it's worth it if you can't get the cut quality and dependability to be on par with other machines. The new Hustlers got me a little excited but even those are having some cutting issues in Iowa. So when will one company step up and give us a mower that excells at all the points mentioned in just this thread.

Keep us updated , sounds like you are close to buying new again.

No. All hydro issues were ONLY the broken part. If it was a wheel motor, they replaced the wheel motor. If it was the pump, it was ONE pump. And each time something was replaced, the other side was different in stick feel (speed, stroke, etc).

Part of me wants to get rid of the SuperZ and cut my losses. The other part says I can probably go another year or even more now that the hydros will be fixed (hopefully properly!).

The new SuperZ's also do impress me. They fixed 90% of my issues. I'm just recently hearing of the QOC issues that are popping up.

Right now, the Cheetah is peaking my interest, but am reading some not so good reviews?

This is all what makes me want to wait it out and maybe Hustler will fine tune things and offer some better engine choices that would include EFI so that the newly reduced 12 gallon gas capacity will get me through a long day of cutting. Or some other manufacturer will come out with something better.

The Next Lazer was nice, but we'll see...

TLS
07-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Everything you said is right on. It may have some flaws. Got mine for less than 7 and have a supension seat. Find myself using it more than my TT. It could use more speed find myself with sticks all the way forward alot.

Wow...they're that cheap! My back is killing me! Suspension seat is a must on every mower. Why they make them w/o is beyond me!

Sticks spent a lot of time up against the stops!

TLS
07-03-2011, 07:40 AM
You understand you are comparing scags entry level commerical mower to hustlers top of the line? Compare it to a tt if you have a chance, makes a tiger cub/cat seem like a tonka toy.

Tiger cat to wildcat major difference is hydro cooler, engine combos and maybe front wheel size.

Scags come with replacable wear pads on the side of the deck since at least 2008. Most can have suspended seats just order the right model. Dust from the deck is a pitch/baffel deal. Tires can be aired down to 8psi to make it ride much better, if you want it even softer put the ribbed front tires on that hustler uses.
Posted via Mobile Device

I realize the comparison differences, and after a re-read, understand your comment.

Between the cats, the front casters go to semi from air in addition to cooler and seat. Just seems so slight to call it another model?

Yes, ribbed Carlisle tires are a MUCH smoother riding tire.

TLS
07-03-2011, 07:49 AM
A couple things I missed in my comparison....

How do the SCAG caster forks hold up? They are un-gusseted, and almost half as thick as the Hustler forks? I think they're the same on ALL SCAG mowers. What may be fine for Walkbehinds and small frame ZTR's should not be fine for Cheetah and TT's.....yet they all seem to be the same. Maybe SCAG likes selling parts?

One thing I don't like about my SCAG Walkbehind is the through bolted spindles. It's never been a "tight" fit between the spindle and the bolt. What keeps things centered? I'm OK with vibrations on a 15 y/o belt drive walkbehind, but I want a SMOOTH running deck on a brand new $12k ZTR.

I'd go with a Turf Tiger, but cant get over the 10 gallon gas tank??? 2gal/hr on a big block doesn't even get you through half a day!?!

Sorry to rant!

Have a great 4th everyone!

HenryB
07-03-2011, 08:26 AM

How do the SCAG caster forks hold up? They are un-gusseted, and almost half as thick as the Hustler forks? I think they're the same on ALL SCAG mowers. What may be fine for Walkbehinds and small frame ZTR's should not be fine for Cheetah and TT's.....yet they all seem to be the same. Maybe SCAG likes selling parts?

One thing I don't like about my SCAG Walkbehind is the through bolted spindles. It's never been a "tight" fit between the spindle and the bolt. What keeps things centered? I'm OK with vibrations on a 15 y/o belt drive walkbehind, but I want a SMOOTH running deck on a brand new $12k ZTR.

I'd go with a Turf Tiger, but cant get over the 10 gallon gas tank??? 2gal/hr on a big block doesn't even get you through half a day!?!

Sorry to rant!

Be careful criticizing Scag on here. These Scag guys on here are rabid die hard fans. I see a lot of shortcomings about Scag I just keep them to myself. Unfortunately I believe it's blind loyalty that lets big mower companies not have to really improve their designs and up research into making a better product.

SouthSide Cutter
07-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Never had front spindle trouble on a Scag. My TC has smooth air tires on the front they ride ten times better than the no flats on the TT. Will chamge out the no flats before long. My TC had 5 hrs on it when I bought it. Had a chance to buy another for 4100 with 125 hrs, passed dont know what I was thinking. And the pulleys do make some noise but never have had trouble. I dont like the Cheetha sets to high, cant see the outside of the deck and dont like the trans.

djagusch
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Sorry to rant!

I have 3000 hrs on a tt and never needed to replace a front yoke. If someone bends one they need to be running into curbs at full speed.

I don't have any noticable play in the spindle bolt. Might be a wear thing on your mower. I have anti seize on the bolts so they slide a bit better out.

TLS
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Be careful criticizing Scag on here. These Scag guys on here are rabid die hard fans. I see a lot of shortcomings about Scag I just keep them to myself. Unfortunately I believe it's blind loyalty that lets big mower companies not have to really improve their designs and up research into making a better product.

I hear ya. Fans are fans. I'm as guilty as the next guy!

TLS
07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I have 3000 hrs on a tt and never needed to replace a front yoke. If someone bends one they need to be running into curbs at full speed.

I don't have any noticable play in the spindle bolt. Might be a wear thing on your mower. I have anti seize on the bolts so they slide a bit better out.

Good to know. Just wonder why just about every other manufacturer uses thicker and wider steel here. Some even with gussets.

My SCAG WB was the first year for tapered bearing spindles. Maybe they made them with more clearance back then. Hasn't gotten worse, just always been a loose fit.

As a TT user, did you have to adjust your day with only 10 gal of fuel? Back in the day of 25hp Kohlers, it was probably fine, but with today's 1 Liter Big Blocks.....??? It's really my only "deal breaker" on the TT. Everything else I could overlook/get used to.

SouthSide Cutter
07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Dont know about the big blocks but I have never run out of fuel on my 29DFI TT and thats a 12hr normal mowing day not the hr meter. The 930 JD I demoed had a 29 Kaw and it used 4.6 gal in 2.1 hrs. I know it would run out.

djagusch
07-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Good to know. Just wonder why just about every other manufacturer uses thicker and wider steel here. Some even with gussets.

My SCAG WB was the first year for tapered bearing spindles. Maybe they made them with more clearance back then. Hasn't gotten worse, just always been a loose fit.

As a TT user, did you have to adjust your day with only 10 gal of fuel? Back in the day of 25hp Kohlers, it was probably fine, but with today's 1 Liter Big Blocks.....??? It's really my only "deal breaker" on the TT. Everything else I could overlook/get used to.

Other mfg's also change their design's more often then scag also. The yokes are the same as 1998 when the tt came out (maybe wider for a wider wheel). How often do you hear of one being bent? Then overall why is the tt still compared and favored to mfg's latest and greatest mowers? They got it right back then. Metalcraft makes military parts, cat parts, etc. They have alot of info at their finger tips and equipment that can produce those parts correctly.

I have one tt with a 27 kawi gets 1.3gph and the another with the 35 briggs getting 1.8gph. Also have a vride on the trailer so when 3 guys are out on the truck for a 10 to 12 hr day the mower doesn't run 12hrs. I always have a 5 gallon gas tank on the trailer and it get used daily. Takes about 2 mins every late afternoon fill the briggs mower, the kawi doesn't run out. I need the mowers filled every morning but needed to do this when I had a super z also.

Some advantages of the 10 gals is visablity of the deck. In 09 I had a new super z 72" deck and 31Hp kawi, first thing I noticed was not seeing the full deck edges (on a 72" deck even the 60" is worse). Also lower cog. If the gas tank size is a huge issue get the 29 dfi Kawi. Guys are saying 1gph with it and I know it has enough power for mowing. Do you put more than 10 hrs on the hour meter in a day? I have in the past but windshield, trimming, and other mower time makes it hard to do.

djagusch
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
To the original poster what is the gph for the cheetah compared to the super z?

demhustler
07-03-2011, 11:30 AM

during years we had few yoke axels broken on exmarks (1.25'') from sideways impacts or push (curbs, operator error), and in one case - front wheell got in the groove between tree roots, mower turned and snapped axel

on hastlers two 1'' axels snaped above weld - one simply on construction site bumps, another - while go up the curve forvard, slowly, no side twists or impascts

demhustler
07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
2011 decks on hustlers, scags and jd pretty similar: vx4, vel+ nearly identical; strange isn't it?

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=638&pictureid=4903

TLS
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
To the original poster what is the gph for the cheetah compared to the super z?

I would bet the SuperZ's pumps (21cc) work that 31 Kawi harder than the Cheetah's (16cc) do. Weight is similar, decks are similar.

djagusch
07-03-2011, 02:20 PM
during years we had few yoke axels broken on exmarks (1.25'') from sideways impacts or push (curbs, operator error), and in one case - front wheell got in the groove between tree roots, mower turned and snapped axel

on hastlers two 1'' axels snaped above weld - one simply on construction site bumps, another - while go up the curve forvard, slowly, no side twists or impascts

They most likely were fatigued from previous hits on something before they snapped. So while the breaking happened at one time the damage occured earlier.

My hustler trimstar frame split it 2 due to bad welds. When it actually split in 2 the cracks had some rust at the beginning. Meaning it had been cracking over time but finally gave then.

djagusch
07-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I would bet the SuperZ's pumps (21cc) work that 31 Kawi harder than the Cheetah's (16cc) do. Weight is similar, decks are similar.

Also depends on how things are geared with pulleys, bearings for spindles, belt routing, etc.

It would be interesting to see a independant company do a test on how much hp each mfg takes to spin a deck up and for the hydro systme.

My 09 Super z was 1.3gph guessing that the new one is higher. The cheetah I don't know if it would be or not.

JTLarson
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't really checked the gph, but right now the cheetah seems to use a little more gas, but I am guessing that is due to it having 100 hours less on it. The Huatler really seemed to drink fuel new also. Both fuel cap keeper strings are tangled up on the hustler, but no issues with the scags as of yet. One thing I am noticing is that the seat gradually reclines while mowing on the scag.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
JT, Both are 31 Kawi's, right.

TLS
07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Also depends on how things are geared with pulleys, bearings for spindles, belt routing, etc.

It would be interesting to see a independant company do a test on how much hp each mfg takes to spin a deck up and for the hydro systme.

My 09 Super z was 1.3gph guessing that the new one is higher. The cheetah I don't know if it would be or not.

Yes, that would be a nice test! Very informative.

That's pretty good (1.3g/hr) for I guess a 31 Kawi?

I was much higher IIRC, and I have the 28EFI!!! The big pumps and tall grass keep those injectors at max spray!

TLS
07-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh, and just got in from my garage. I slipped a tape measure under the deck (61" Velocity Plus) upside down. I then wedged the end-tip of the tape between the deck skirt and the rubber protector on the trimside. Pulled tight and brought it to the tip of the discharge blade...62"

It's probably j u s t able to sneak between two posts 63" apart rubber protector to the edge of the discharge side.

I'm anxious to do the same to my 60" XR-7 when I get it back later this week. Something tells me it's going to be a bit narrower.

Back before the XR-7 series decks, the previous versions "72" inch cut was actually 69" wide, so they very well could be narrow on the 60's as well.

All things being equal, with blade length only 20.5" vs 21", there should be an 1.5" difference in cut width. Who knows with blade spacing, etc. Just putting it out there.

Are SCAG's known for a LOT of lateral side to side movement in the deck? Like I said above, it's like a couple thousand hours worth of wear on any other mower. When I pulled the tape tight, the deck must move almost an inch sideways!

demhustler
07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
what efficiency of zt5400 trany on cheetah?
does 260 or 325 ft-lbs of torque at 24'' wheel enough for 1500 lbs mower on hills? (considering most of the weight and traction - on one lower wheel, plus acceleration/deceleration loads)

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/Products/HydrostaticDrives/SingleAxle/ZT-5400
zt5400 specs:
- torque at wheels (cont): 260 ft-lbs;
- low speed reduction: 18.6:1
----------------------
28 hp kohler engine torque 44.3 f-lbs@2500rpm; about 40@3600
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=Command PRO CV745
--------------------
40 * 18.6 = 744 f-lbs
260 f-lbs = 34.9 % of 744

mtmower
10-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey JT. What ended up happening with your cut issues? Which mower is the go to mower now, the Scag or the Hustler?

StanWilhite
10-28-2011, 12:54 AM
subscribe........

weeze
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
anymore updates on these mowers?

mtmower
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Is the grass starting to grow in IA?

beaver29
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I like my 2011 Super Z here down south (mainly Bermuda and St. Augustine). The only thing I have issues with is it leaves uneven cuts sometimes. I have the deck leveled and gauge wheels all the way down. I can not figure it out to save my life. I have had two SuperZ XR7's in the past and never had these issues before. I am cutting at 2 1/4"-2 1/2". Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

MJB
05-16-2012, 11:50 PM
I like my 2011 Super Z here down south (mainly Bermuda and St. Augustine). The only thing I have issues with is it leaves uneven cuts sometimes. I have the deck leveled and gauge wheels all the way down. I can not figure it out to save my life. I have had two SuperZ XR7's in the past and never had these issues before. I am cutting at 2 1/4"-2 1/2". Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Have you checked your deck pitch, spindles, deck belts etc? Are you mowing with the flex forks ? Really would help if you had a picture.

TLS
05-17-2012, 06:26 AM
I think if you have the scalp wheels all the way down, you shouldn't be cutting in the two inch range. In both of my multi-day demos, I never even looked at the wheels, but I think they come all the way UP from the factory. I'm only saying this because I've heard people complain that up is too high and down is too low.
Posted via Mobile Device

beaver29
05-17-2012, 06:41 AM
I actually modified my deck and drilled a set of holes between the factory 2 holes. That doesn't help either. I was running gauge wheels all the way down hoping they would stop the deck from cutting uneven. I will get some pics to post after my next cut. I did check pitch (1/8" front) did not check spindles and belts? I am not running flex forks.

Maple Wood
05-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
I actually modified my deck and drilled a set of holes between the factory 2 holes. That doesn't help either. I was running gauge wheels all the way down hoping they would stop the deck from cutting uneven. I will get some pics to post after my next cut. I did check pitch (1/8" front) did not check spindles and belts? I am not running flex forks.

1/8th inch pitch is not very much, on the xr7 I ran 3/8" lower in front, same on my Exmark decks. I would start there.

TLS
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, 1/8" could go to 0" when your fueled up and sitting in the seat!
Posted via Mobile Device

beaver29
05-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Does the pitch have anything to do with the side to side cutting?

StanWilhite
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah, 1/8" could go to 0" when your fueled up and sitting in the seat!
Posted via Mobile Device

There is one other thing. When dealing with deck pitch, as far as I can tell, most people agree that the front of the blade itself should be 1/8" to as much as 3/8" (depending on who is giving out the advice) than the rear of the blade itself....not from the front of the deck to the rear of the deck.

This would mean that, since the deck is obviously longer (front to rear) than the blade(s), there would be more of a difference in height of the deck (front to rear) than the difference of height of the blade(s) (front to rear).

I know this may sound a little complicated to some, but it's a really simple thing that is a little hard to explain when attempting to put into words.

In other words, when you set something on an angle (in this case a mower blade), the difference in height of one end compared to the other end increases as the distance between the 2 points increases.

So, if you want the blades to be 1/4" lower in front than in the rear, the deck itself will have to be more than 1/4" lower in front than in the rear.

Stan

Realslowww
06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Just talked to a dealer today who sold both the Cheetah and the Super Hyper Drive, he claimed the Cheetah had a much better ride but the drive on it was no where near a Hyper Drive and that the new Super Z had by far the finest drive setup on any Z turn mower.

TLS
06-06-2012, 07:42 AM
There is one other thing. When dealing with deck pitch, as far as I can tell, most people agree that the front of the blade itself should be 1/8" to as much as 3/8" (depending on who is giving out the advice) than the rear of the blade itself....not from the front of the deck to the rear of the deck.

This would mean that, since the deck is obviously longer (front to rear) than the blade(s), there would be more of a difference in height of the deck (front to rear) than the difference of height of the blade(s) (front to rear).

I know this may sound a little complicated to some, but it's a really simple thing that is a little hard to explain when attempting to put into words.

In other words, when you set something on an angle (in this case a mower blade), the difference in height of one end compared to the other end increases as the distance between the 2 points increases.

So, if you want the blades to be 1/4" lower in front than in the rear, the deck itself will have to be more than 1/4" lower in front than in the rear.

Stan

Yes, this is why it's important to measure from the tips of the blades to a concrete floor.

More and more of todays decks have raised front skirts (sounds dirty :laugh: ) where you cant simply measure from the skirt down.