PDA

View Full Version : So I'm mowing today.......

MDLawn
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
So I have a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer HP and recently put some high lift blades on it. I've been using mulchers for the longest time as I thought they were great and they help so much in the fall. So I fire that beast up engage the blades and had to look around as I thought a helicopter was landing or that my mower had become one and wanted to fly away :laugh::laugh:

Man that thing mowed like a champ today! I mean the grass isn't growing like crazy like it was in the spring, but I was mowing at 4-5 on the ECS and not missing anything! I'm not sure the lift of the blades that came with the mower and the mulchers obviously let air through. I feel like a moron not having used these sooner!!:dizzy::hammerhead: Definitely picks up those lazy blades of grass better. The only downside was that it shot the grass out the chute about 15-20 feet and around some landscaping that becomes problematic or just extra work of blowing the beds out. These blades stay on until the fall!

Just my little story from today. See ya!

watatrp
06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
The high lift blades do throw the clippings a lot farther. I need to get at least three passes on the perimeter (15') before I start mowing the other way. Watch it when you cut wet grass-it goes even farther. I've used doubles before with one high lift and one mulching. It creates even more airflow. Have fun.

avguy
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Were the high lifts Exmark?

Glenn Lawn Care
06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
They are nice, but they take up alot of power!

MDLawn
06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Were the high lifts Exmark?

Oregon from expressmowerparts
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
The high lift blades do throw the clippings a lot farther. I need to get at least three passes on the perimeter (15') before I start mowing the other way. Watch it when you cut wet grass-it goes even farther. I've used doubles before with one high lift and one mulching. It creates even more airflow. Have fun.

I'll hopefully remember that!!
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
They are nice, but they take up alot of power!

How so? Just curious.

I've never been able to mow faster (speed wise) and not leave any stragglers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
06-15-2011, 08:50 PM
haha i recently did the same thing. i will put my gator mulching high-lifts on when the leaves start falling but never again will i use them for regular mowing. the stock high lifts for my mower work so well and make the lawn look great. what i found is that the mulching blades weigh alot more than the basic high lifts...so i think the weight causes them to move slower when turning on the mower which results in a poor cut.

mowerbrad
06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
High lifts use more power from your mower because they have more wind drag. Have you noticed how the sail/flute/curvy part (whatever you want to call it) on the blade is larger and much steeper than other types of blades? Because of this, it moves more air, creating more air resistance on the blades which causes them to draw more power from your mower to keep them spinning at the typical speed.

Weight has nothing to do with how fast they spin or the quality of cut, more how much power they require to keep them spinning at that speed. Its all about air resistance. Blades will spin at the same speed no matter if you have high lifts or mulching blades installed on the mower. If certain blades spun slower, you would notice that your engine is constantly bogged down and never reaches full throttles.

Higher lift blades cause more of a vacuum effect under the deck, causing a greater lift on the grass, pulling it up into the deck and allowing you to mow at faster speeds.

Poontamer
06-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Mulching blades have a longer edge than high lifts , they are seriously like a centimeter away from spindle hole! They cut great,and I also notice the high lifts take more power too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
High lifts use more power from your mower because they have more wind drag. Have you noticed how the sail/flute/curvy part (whatever you want to call it) on the blade is larger and much steeper than other types of blades? Because of this, it moves more air, creating more air resistance on the blades which causes them to draw more power from your mower to keep them spinning at the typical speed.

Weight has nothing to do with how fast they spin or the quality of cut. Its all about air resistance. Blades will spin at the same speed no matter if you have high lifts or mulching blades installed on the mower. If certain blades spun slower, you would notice that your engine is constantly bogged down and never reaches full throttles.

Higher lift blades cause more of a vacuum effect under the deck, causing a greater lift on the grass, pulling it up into the deck and allowing you to mow at faster speeds.

This is exactly right.

How well your machine does with the highest lift blades that are made for it all depends on how much power your engine has.

I had a lawn tractor (JD LT133 w/38" deck) a while back that I used to get into small lots/gates, and the std blades that came on it were extremely high lift as it was, but when I installed the "high lift" blades that were sold for it, it loaded the engine down too much to take advantage of the even higher lift than the stock blades provide.

If you want to see high lift blades, go to a Deere dealership sometime and ask for the high lift blades for the LT series they used to make a few years ago. You will not believe the lift fin on them.

MDLawn
06-15-2011, 09:44 PM
So if simple rules apply then the end result of high lift blades would be more fuel consumption. Similar to a truck and a truck with a trailer. More power to move the trailer = more fuel needed.

I'll still use em though.

Ridin' Green
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
So if simple rules apply then the end result of high lift blades would be more fuel consumption. Similar to a truck and a truck with a trailer. More power to move the trailer = more fuel needed.

I'll still use em though.

Yea, but as long as you have enough engine, the small gain in fuel consumption is more than offset by the increase in performance as far as spreading clippings out over a wider area, and a cleaner cut.

topsites
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Nine years ago is when I first heard that industrial vacuum cleaner sound coming
from a machine I had just bought, ever since I've ran high lifts.

Poontamer
06-16-2011, 04:09 PM
My exmark sounds like a freaking airboat!!! With High Lifts
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
WOW, bunch of newbies in here.

Poontamer
06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
WOW, bunch of newbies in here.

Good lord who cares. It was just a fun topic. You're right I must be a complete idiot because I never used high lift blades. I'm sorry. ;-)

Instead of the fun I'll get back to the norm of most threads.

"How much do I charge?"
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Still can't mow full speed?

I can't mow full speed all the time in the spring, but I can go all out this time of year.

jfoxtrot9
06-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Good lord who cares. It was just a fun topic. You're right I must be a complete idiot because I never used high lift blades. I'm sorry. ;-)

Instead of the fun I'll get back to the norm of most threads.

"How much do I charge?"
Posted via Mobile Device

Now that is funny. LOL