PDA

View Full Version : Felco Pruners

White Gardens
06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
I need a good general purpose pruning hand shears.

My last pair lasted me 6 years, and I've lost the spring for them and now I need to get another good pair. All the cheapos at the box stores don't work worth a darn.

Nobody around here carries Felco pruners, so I need to order a set. My question is, what do you think is the best over-all model that is good for all around shrub pruning. I'm think a good medium size as my hands are smaller.

Thanks!

Florida Gardener
06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I got the 2's and they are great
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
#2s

Thread over.

OH wait, hand pruners or trimming/hedge shears?

In hedge shears, buy Bahco

White Gardens
06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Hand Pruners. The Number 2 look similar to what I have already so might be a good match.

I'm also digging the look of the 13 for some extra leverage on bigger limbs.

44DCNF
06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
#2's here as well. I've never pruned with of their other models. Tried a few for fit and none felt as comfortable as the 2's. One pair is 35 years old and still going strong. All parts are replaceable. I've had to redip the handles of my newer pair which are about ten years old, and change blades on both a few times. Order yourself a nice scabbard for them as well. I prefer the slotted one over the one with belt clip. The scabbard with the belt clip rides higher and the pruners handles tend to dig in your side or back in certain positions. The one with the belt slots in the leather ride lower and move out of the way when bending and twisting in tight spots. Smaller hands here as well and these are a good fit.

White Gardens
06-15-2011, 11:49 PM
#2's here as well. I've never pruned with of their other models. Tried a few for fit and none felt as comfortable as the 2's. One pair is 35 years old and still going strong. All parts are replaceable. I've had to redip the handles of my newer pair which are about ten years old, and change blades on both a few times. Order yourself a nice scabbard for them as well. I prefer the slotted one over the one with belt clip. The scabbard with the belt clip rides higher and the pruners handles tend to dig in your side or back in certain positions. The one with the belt slots in the leather ride lower and move out of the way when bending and twisting in tight spots. Smaller hands here as well and these are a good fit.

HA! I'll feel like I did when I was growing up on the farm. I might still have my old leather scabbard that I originally used to hold my pliers.

Looks like the #2 are it. Thanks for the responses guys. Thumbs Up

Florida Gardener
06-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Get the sharpening kit with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
06-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Just ordered the #2 pruners and also a new folding saw. :gunsfirin

Their folding saw was cheaper than the last one I had which was a Stihl that cost me 40bucks or better and the blade was super flimsy. Ultimately I ended up breaking it.

Thanks for the input guys.

SanDRoots
06-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Dollar short and a day late, nevertheless...F8 at my hip...bar none one the best pruners available. Cant go wrong with any F# models in my humble opinion...Peace.

White Gardens
06-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Dollar short and a day late, nevertheless...F8 at my hip...bar none one the best pruners available. Cant go wrong with any F# models in my humble opinion...Peace.

I saw those and I personally don't think that I was going to like the ergonomic handle. I've tried pruners with that type (not the same of course) of handle and didn't really care for the design. They just seemed uncomfortable.

rlitman
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
My last pair lasted me 6 years, and I've lost the spring for them and now I need to get another good pair. . .

http://www.amazon.com/Felco-291-Replacement-Springs-Pruners/dp/B0016AJCGQ
Two springs for $7. You may be able to find it for even less.
For Felcos you can even replace the blades (and every other part is available for these, unlike for most other pruners). The most popular model (#2) has a riveted blade, but if you're handy that's not too difficult to replace.
The #11 is identical to the #2, except that the blade screws on, so it is easier to replace.

SanDRoots
06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I saw those and I personally don't think that I was going to like the ergonomic handle. I've tried pruners with that type (not the same of course) of handle and didn't really care for the design. They just seemed uncomfortable.

I was a tad doubtful in regard to the design at first too...but then the many hours of hand pruning came into play and my doubts transitioned to an extreme understanding of how on point/imperative the Ergo design actually is...for me at least. They're a comfy fit within my palm...requires little to no effort to prune even the gnarliest of branches (within the cutting diameters). I especially enjoy pruning low hanging branches, where its required to reach above your head and having that little "hip" on the Ergo handle rest upon your thenar or cagina I believe its called (webbing between your thumb and index finger) keeping them from trying to slip down...thus requiring less squeezing power...thus preventing the possible scenario of the dreaded carpal tunnel! At the end of the day...I would/will gladly and joyfully put to work ANY model # Felcos! Have a blast with your new FCo's...Keep'm sharp, Keep"m greased...keep'm pruning...

SD-Roots...

White Gardens
06-16-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Felco-291-Replacement-Springs-Pruners/dp/B0016AJCGQ
Two springs for $7. You may be able to find it for even less.
For Felcos you can even replace the blades (and every other part is available for these, unlike for most other pruners). The most popular model (#2) has a riveted blade, but if you're handy that's not too difficult to replace.
The #11 is identical to the #2, except that the blade screws on, so it is easier to replace.

My other pruners weren't Felco's. They were some brand that my wife got as a gift from State Farm when she still worked there.

I never expected them to last as long as they did, and I'm not even sure what brand they were.

rlitman
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Ohhhh. I've used one of those springs on a Sandvik pruner too, but yeah, Felcos can easily be the last pruner you every buy. They've got everything just right.

White Gardens
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Ohhhh. I've used one of those springs on a Sandvik pruner too, but yeah, Felcos can easily be the last pruner you every buy. They've got everything just right.

The ones I had were great for quality and cut. Just too bad I couldn't keep them longer.

As an update, my order for some reason was cancelled by the supplier. I haven't been able to get a hold of them, so I'm letting it stay cancelled.

I ended up going to AMleonard and ordered a set of #11 I do believe and also the folding saw.

Florida Gardener
06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Should have went with silky for the saw
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Should have went with silky for the saw
Posted via Mobile Device

Those look pretty nice. If I break this one then I'll have to go that direction.

vencops
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Good thread. I just ordered the No. 2's w/ sheath.

2brothersyardcare
07-16-2011, 10:05 AM
i like stihl pruners

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I like my number 11s that I purchased.

The only thing I don't like is the "snap" going through branches. Otherwise their great and I'm glad I purchased them.

The saw is OK, but not the greatest. It has a strait blade and I think I prefer a folding saw with a bit of curve to the blade. The only advantage I see with the saw is that with the strait blade it seems like I can do smaller branches more cleanly and precisely, but I don't think it's that much of a difference.

nepatsfan
07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I need a good general purpose pruning hand shears.

My last pair lasted me 6 years, and I've lost the spring for them and now I need to get another good pair. All the cheapos at the box stores don't work worth a darn.

Nobody around here carries Felco pruners, so I need to order a set. My question is, what do you think is the best over-all model that is good for all around shrub pruning. I'm think a good medium size as my hands are smaller.

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM

This was all I could think of when I saw this:laugh::drinkup:

Good luck..felcos are awesome. I dont buy them anymore because my guys always end up losing them.

vencops
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
WG....I was hoping you'd chime in. I've got a cheapo folding saw I like (I use mine to trim branches, while bowhunting). And, it has a curved blade. I agree with what you said about the straight being (likely) better for small stuff.

Thanks again for posting your satisfaction with your purchase. Good to know.

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 10:23 AM
WG....I was hoping you'd chime in. I've got a cheapo folding saw I like (I use mine to trim branches, while bowhunting). And, it has a curved blade. I agree with what you said about the straight being (likely) better for small stuff.

I've bought higher end Stihl folding saws to the cheapo saws and really can't tell much of a difference. What happens is that if I bind the saw I end up bending the flimsy blade.

I will say with the Felco saw the blade seems like it will hold up better against bending. Might need to try a silky next that Diamond mentioned earlier in the thread.

Florida Gardener
07-16-2011, 11:17 AM

One word: SILKY. This is the bentley of saws. I own 3: 1 straight, 1 curved, and one monster curved that I can quickly take down certain palms with. They are pricey, but the quality is hands down the best. You can buy replacement blades when you need to but I can tell you I have used my straight saw on dozens of palms and hardwoods and it still cuts excellent. Spend the money and get something that will do the job the right way.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
One word: SILKY. This is the bentley of saws. I own 3: 1 straight, 1 curved, and one monster curved that I can quickly take down certain palms with. They are pricey, but the quality is hands down the best. You can buy replacement blades when you need to but I can tell you I have used my straight saw on dozens of palms and hardwoods and it still cuts excellent. Spend the money and get something that will do the job the right way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya, sounds like the route I need to go.

I'd like to also find a hand saw with the curve cutting teeth that you can sharpen with a chainsaw file. I've got that style of blade on my Fiskers pole saw and I like that I can sharpen it on the fly and it's aggressive for larger limbs at 15+feet. I would be great for the 4"+ larger limbs when hand pruning.

I sometimes bust out my redmax arborist saw with the 12" bar, but it's too hard to control when making final cuts right above the collar at the trunk or dominate branches.

Florida Gardener
07-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Ya, sounds like the route I need to go.

I'd like to also find a hand saw with the curve cutting teeth that you can sharpen with a chainsaw file. I've got that style of blade on my Fiskers pole saw and I like that I can sharpen it on the fly and it's aggressive for larger limbs at 15+feet. I would be great for the 4"+ larger limbs when hand pruning.

I sometimes bust out my redmax arborist saw with the 12" bar, but it's too hard to control when making final cuts right above the collar at the trunk or dominate branches.

I called sherril tree and they said you really can't sharpen the silky's bc the teeth are so precise it is best to just get a new blade when you need one. Honestly, I don't use chainsaws anymore for palms or light/moderate hardwood pruning as good pole and handsaws will do the job just fine. I own that same redmax saw that you do. Silky makes phenomenal pole saws as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I own that same redmax saw that you do. Silky makes phenomenal pole saws as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll keep that in mind on the pole saw. I just like the power stroke set-up on the fiskers so the rope doesn't get in my way ever.

I went to my stihl dealer that sells echo stuff also. He cross-referenced my bar on the red-max and got me an Oregon/Echo bar for it with the entenzs bar. It has a quick tensioner in the bar which makes it super easy to tighten the chain.

That and it has better oil ports and actually has an oil port at the end of the bar giving a better lubrication system for better chain life.

So ultimately, I've got a red-max saw, echo bar, and stihl chain.

Might want to look into it. It might make any brush/heavy cutting a bit better for you.

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I called sherril tree and they said you really can't sharpen the silky's bc the teeth are so precise.
Posted via Mobile Device

And on that. The one thing I like about the the hook/curved teeth is that it opens the saw kerf better for a smoother action and less blade binding. The pointed teeth seem to jam up on me the worst.

Florida Gardener
07-16-2011, 01:08 PM
And on that. The one thing I like about the the hook/curved teeth is that it opens the saw kerf better for a smoother action and less blade binding. The pointed teeth seem to jam up on me the worst.

I have had a couple of issues with jamming, but it comes with the territory IMO. Nothing to make me change saws. The only real jamming issues I have are when removing heavy/thick fruit stalks on queen palms that haven't opened up yet. Again, comes with the territory.
Posted via Mobile Device

SanDRoots
07-17-2011, 03:12 AM
First and foremost...DIAMOND, my apologies for not responding to your PM sooner, didn't realize I even had a PM until I was bombarded with emails in regard to the many responses to this thread (good thread, great responses!)! I will hit you back up sooner rather than later, count on it...I have a plethora of information to share with you (you know in what context). My humble opinion in regard to folding/pruning saws is a as follows...if you don't ABUSE it when you USE it, ANY tool can last you longer than expected. I still to this day use a cheapo, with a slightly tweaked blade, on most of my cuts, it was a hand me down from a friend when I first delved into the Landscape business...only God knows how many cuts or years he put on it before me! I live by the saying " a computer is only as smart as the person using it" same goes for all aspects in life, tools included. I own name brand saws in my arsenal as well but always find myself using the saw that is worth "less" by monetary standards because I'm not afraid to damage it (when making gnarly removals, nothing detailed such as ornamental/fruit trees)...guess what? It does not get damaged! Cant fake the front...I love my curved pruning saw and scarab...wish I could use it more often the way a Certified Arborist might utilize one...but I cant complain, it gets enough miles on it!
Great job on opening the gates for such an important topic WG (for me at least)...
Blessings...
SD Roots

White Gardens
07-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Ya, I was thinking that hand pruning and technique doesn't really get discussed on LS.

Generally speaking, everyone runs for the hedge trimmers for just about everything.

Good hand pruning is almost a lost art along with hand writing.

Florida Gardener
07-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Ya, I was thinking that hand pruning and technique doesn't really get discussed on LS.

Generally speaking, everyone runs for the hedge trimmers for just about everything.

Good hand pruning is almost a lost art along with hand writing.

90% of my pruning is done by hand. This state is notorious for using hedge trimmers on everything. I agree, it is seldomly used but I will tell you ornamentals on my properties usually have blooms and look very healthy.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Pruning Q!

One of my accounts has a couple american boxwoods they uprooted to make way for a new sidewalk. Long story short, they didn't keep them moist and I think they're toast.

They went ahead and re-planted them on the chance they might make it.

Would it be a good idea to cut the "dead" (looking) branches? I'd pretty much be cutting this thing to about 10" tall.

TOTALLY new to this type stuff.

White Gardens
07-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Pruning Q!

One of my accounts has a couple american boxwoods they uprooted to make way for a new sidewalk. Long story short, they didn't keep them moist and I think they're toast.

They went ahead and re-planted them on the chance they might make it.

Would it be a good idea to cut the "dead" (looking) branches? I'd pretty much be cutting this thing to about 10" tall.

TOTALLY new to this type stuff.

I always wait until you think they might be established before pruning. Even though 90% of the time on a boxwood, the dead looking branch is probably dead, I still wait just in case.

You might get some new growth at the base of the stem or otherwise. So you run the chance of taking out a grow point.

This fall, I would check them out before any heavy freezes and then take out the dead stems. Even if you have a hole, it will eventually fill back in. But, if you feel that taking them back pretty far, then that's your choice.

Always remember, like in bonsai techniques, Plant hormones in the branches are directly related to the hormones in the roots. By trimming the branches, you shut down root growth. If you trim the roots, you shut down branch growth.

vencops
07-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I just said what I was thinking. I never claimed it was "right"!...lol

Thanks. I'll let 'em be for a bit.

I know these things are pretty hearty (h20 need wise). Do they go dormant, ever? I mean....these are completely brown.

White Gardens
07-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I just said what I was thinking. I never claimed it was "right"!...lol

Thanks. I'll let 'em be for a bit.

I know these things are pretty hearty (h20 need wise). Do they go dormant, ever? I mean....these are completely brown.

Then they are probably dead....

vencops
07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
S.O.B....lol.

UPS truck brought me a package from Gempler's. Inside was my pruner sheath. No pruners, though! Nice, nice folks in CS. Got them on the way, now.

White Garden.....I was mistaken on the shrub. It's not an American boxwood. And, I'm glad I didn't prune it last week. When I was there last, it was COMPLETELY brown. I looked at it today, and it has a few green spots in the foliage. Dang things (2 of them) might stand a chance! I told them to keep 'em watered.

Would a little ornamental fert. or milorganite help it? I have both here...and can get anything else quickly (naturally). I don't wanna see 'em die if we can help.

Thanks.

Florida Gardener
07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
S.O.B....lol.

UPS truck brought me a package from Gempler's. Inside was my pruner sheath. No pruners, though! Nice, nice folks in CS. Got them on the way, now.

White Garden.....I was mistaken on the shrub. It's not an American boxwood. And, I'm glad I didn't prune it last week. When I was there last, it was COMPLETELY brown. I looked at it today, and it has a few green spots in the foliage. Dang things (2 of them) might stand a chance! I told them to keep 'em watered.

Would a little ornamental fert. or milorganite help it? I have both here...and can get anything else quickly (naturally). I don't wanna see 'em die if we can help.

Thanks.
Don't use an ornamental feet until about 10-12 weeks. Milorgonite will be ok. Most plants go into shock when transplanted just keep the water going every day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Commando
07-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Nobody seems to understand why felco is the best clippers but you have to know the green industry to appreciate quality..

44DCNF
07-21-2011, 12:07 AM
S.O.B....lol.

Thanks.

You could spray and water with a light solution of seaweed extract. That should help their recovery.

A key phrase concerning transplants is "first year sleeps, second year creeps, third year leaps". Dont expect too much improvement the first year.

vencops
07-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Good to know.

I got my pruners, yesterday. I'll put 'em to work, this week.

I haven't looked at the packaging, yet. Can anyone tell me what the little black "key" looking thing is for? Is it some sort of tool?

44DCNF
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
That's the tool to disassemble and adjust your pruners. the short edges can be used as a straight bladed screw driver to loosen the adjusting lock screw and remove the latch locks them closed. The half moon goes over the large adjustment gear to turn it for tightening or loosening the action. I recommend you get and keep as part of your prunign kit, a 1" scraper blade, a small brass or stainless wire detail brush, a small spray bottle of alcohol, and a small quality file or sharpening stone to support your pruners. After using, scrape any plant resins from blade and wire brush it, disinfect, and coat with fluid film. Take apart completely and clean all parts regularly, just like you'd clean a gun after a trip to the range.

greenstar lawn
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
ordered the #2 it should be here today. Cant wait to use it next week