PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove trimming

South Florida Lawns
06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I am bidding on a condo that has mangroves along the shore, which get lightly tipped every few months. They are in hedge form at around 6ft high, which is the lowest they can be from what I'm told. Does anybody know if I need a permit to maintain them?

We will not be cutting any back at all just keeping them at 6ft.

Also how often should they be trimmed? I don't want them over trimmed and be unhealthy.

I'm doing more research tonight, thought I'd check in here first though.

Thanks for any info.

jvanvliet
06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
GEEZ... you better check code & ordinances re. mangroves before you touch them. They took a guy out and hung him from a tree before they cut him into pieces and fed him to the gators.

Round these parts messing with mangroves is a CAPITAL offense!!!

fl-landscapes
06-15-2011, 08:01 PM
GEEZ... you better check code & ordinances re. mangroves before you touch them. They took a guy out and hung him from a tree before they cut him into pieces and fed him to the gators.

Round these parts messing with mangroves is a CAPITAL offense!!!

yes sir! Mangroves are something I want no part of. Do it wrong, do it without special permision and permits and your in big trouble.

Ric
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I am bidding on a condo that has mangroves along the shore, which get lightly tipped every few months. They are in hedge form at around 6ft high, which is the lowest they can be from what I'm told. Does anybody know if I need a permit to maintain them?

We will not be cutting any back at all just keeping them at 6ft.

Also how often should they be trimmed? I don't want them over trimmed and be unhealthy.

I'm doing more research tonight, thought I'd check in here first though.

Thanks for any info.

South

Permits for trimming Mangroves can be issued by either a Certified Landscape Architect or a Certified Arbortist. They can not be trimmed any lower than 6 ft. If you can't get someone local to issue a permit I can do that for you. Of course for a price.

South Florida Lawns
06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
So just maintaining them at 6ft I need a permit?

I know how important they are around here and I don't want my name on any hack jobs or bad practices.

The previous company may have just did it under the table ya know that kind of thing which of course I don't do.

I may contact the city in which the account is located.

From what I read it varies through out Florida on what you can and cant do.

I know home owners that hacked back and topped them and got fines up to 50k, Florida don't mess around!

I may just sub it to a certified arborist.

Ric
06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
So just maintaining them at 6ft I need a permit?
I know how important they are around here and I don't want my name on any hack jobs or bad practices.

The previous company may have just did it under the table ya know that kind of thing which of course I don't do.

I may contact the city in which the account is located.

From what I read it varies through out Florida on what you can and cant do.

I know home owners that hacked back and topped them and got fines up to 50k, Florida don't mess around!

I may just sub it to a certified arborist.

South

There is no permit for trimming mangroves 6 ft high. but you need either a Certified Landscape Architect or a Certified Arborist to supervise the job. They don't have to be present during trimming but they do need to view the job and write a work order with direction.

BCL Services
06-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I have heard some real horror stories about people messing with mangroves here in Brevard county. I would defenitly check with the local municipality

South Florida Lawns
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM
South

There is no permit for trimming mangroves 6 ft high. but you need either a Certified Landscape Architect or a Certified Arborist to supervise the job. They don't have to be present during trimming but they do need to view the job and write a work order with direction.

Thank you for clearing that up!

I have heard some real horror stories about people messing with mangroves here in Brevard county. I would defenitly check with the local municipality

Yes I have heard stories and seen first hand damage from home owners and companies.

olive123
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
if your are in broward call mike orfanedes at the extention,he will help you.