PDA

View Full Version : Scag vs. Dixie Chopper

GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC
06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 42 inch Scag Z-Cat. I love it but if/when something breaks I have to take it to a shop a couple towns over to get it serviced. A few local shops service Ex-Marks and Dixie Choppers. Can anybody tell me about the Dixie Chopper in comparison to a Scag? Specifically, I have questions about durability, quality of cut, stability of the deck, etc. Any information would be helpful.

watatrp
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I've owned Scags for about 15 years. Up until 2007 I had a 60" Turf Tiger. I currently have a 60 DC Classic. I can say that Scags are built like tanks. I no longer have a Scag dealer near me but do have a DC dealer. I've found that the quality of cut for the DC is slightly better. I like the blade speed and the wide opening in the deck. Less clumping. The DC can cut at a faster speed but faster speed can mean lower quality cut if the ground is not level. I have one property that I've been cutting for the last 15 years. I always use this as the comparison because I've been doing it for so long. On my Scag, it always took me 2.5 hours to get it done. On the DC it takes me from 1.5 to 1.75 hours. The only variable between the two times is the mower. All other equipment, trimming, etc. has been the same. So, I can say that it shaved almost 3/4 of hour off my time there. The striping on the DC is better than the Scag. I do run the magic mulchers under the deck. What I've found is that it tends to keep the underside of the deck a lot cleaner, very little scraping. I like the fans on the topside of the spindles. There is no clipping buildup on top of deck. I always had to clean off clippings on the top of deck on the Scag. Overall, I'm happy with the DC. I'm just into my second season with it and no major problems yet.

tacoma200
06-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a little different take than watatrp. It may be because I'm in Kentucky and the grass, poor turf, weeds are different as well as the rough terrain (banks, hills, clay, rocky soil). But here the overall choice is Scag Turf Tiger over the Dixie. Any way the Dixie cuts great here and very fast, flat ground (rare in this area) is the only place the Dixie excels. Most grass here has a lot of weeds and the Velocity cuts this mixed growth better, or I should say it discharges it better. Dixies leave very small clippings and they leave micro clumps a lot. The Scag clumps much less here. The Turf Tigers handle the slopes, ditches, and rough terrain much better. I mow area's that guys with Dixies can't even get on. No doubt on flat ground you would make better time with a Dixie. Dixies are great machines but most of the people in hilly area's don't like them as well. Just my opinion. I have a friend wanting to trade me a Dixie for my older Turf Tiger, I told him no way.

Mikegyver
06-15-2011, 11:31 PM
There is no comparison...
mike

GreenCloverlawnCare, LLC
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
good feedback. thanks guys.

S&J LAWN
08-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I have a little different take than watatrp. It may be because I'm in Kentucky and the grass, poor turf, weeds are different as well as the rough terrain (banks, hills, clay, rocky soil). But here the overall choice is Scag Turf Tiger over the Dixie. Any way the Dixie cuts great here and very fast, flat ground (rare in this area) is the only place the Dixie excels. Most grass here has a lot of weeds and the Velocity cuts this mixed growth better, or I should say it discharges it better. Dixies leave very small clippings and they leave micro clumps a lot. The Scag clumps much less here. The Turf Tigers handle the slopes, ditches, and rough terrain much better. I mow area's that guys with Dixies can't even get on. No doubt on flat ground you would make better time with a Dixie. Dixies are great machines but most of the people in hilly area's don't like them as well. Just my opinion. I have a friend wanting to trade me a Dixie for my older Turf Tiger, I told him no way.

i see u have exmark on your page.. I run grasshopper for 20 year and love them no dealer here no more.. I got Exmarks now for the sec time and I will never buy one again... Dealer is most of it....

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-22-2011, 01:13 AM
I have seven DC Owned since 1985
The ride is better then anything I seen
The cut is the best you mow one time The cut clean
I dont have many flat ground lawn
They hold the hill better then a scag or any other mower With the HD field track tires The factory tires are first thing i take off they suck
Next thing take off is the Factory blades
Put set of Straight Med lift blades on
Remove the buffle by the chute
They come with 2 spacers on the blade remove 1 you will get mow vacum
My dealer is 3 hrs one way But since I had them so long realy with little problems think only replace one pump it had over 2k hrs and one wheel motor had 1k Spindles only replace due busting them in 27 yrs owning DC
I do all my mowers repairs and even some other ppl that has them I m closer and cheaper most time faster then a dealer