PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower Question

treadlite
06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I know it's the wrong season for this, but I have an opportunity to grab a genuine Cat snowblower for a good price.

Does anyone have any input as to these units?? I know they use a different style of blower after the auger to chuck the snow. I'm partial to Cat quality in attachments and parts availability, just curious if anyone has used one of these....

murray83
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
If its at a price your comfortable with I say grab it as a great winter business asset.

Never used a blower on a skid steer myself but one guy here has a 61'' Erskine on his 226B and loves it.

Team that up with a snow bucket or pusher and you be busy all winter with your own work or as a subcontractor.

treadlite
06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Murray.... I picked it up yesterday, it's basically new for less than half price.....

I figure it's one of those things that in the right conditions will make some money quickly....

The cat is different in that it's impeller spins fore and aft rather than the others that rotate axially behind the auger....supposedly it's better but I'm not sure and by the looks of the lack of replies on here not too many guys have blowers....

ksss
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
There are a lot of guys with blowers but few with the CAT blower. I think a company called Black Max makes that blower and CAT badges it, but I cat recall for sure.

murray83
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
What size did you end up going with?

Dirt Digger2
06-30-2011, 11:46 PM
i used one once...it was a slightly heavy snowfall but it jammed up a lot...i think i have pictures/videos of it floating around here somewhere

i hopped back in the skid/plow i ended up getting so frustrated.

treadlite
07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I went with the SR117, its the smallest in the Cat lineup and it's sized for the 226 both in terms of flow and weight so we'll see how well it works.....

murray83
07-01-2011, 07:47 PM
It will work great for blowing back piles along any curbs during snow relocates

Could also be a handy tool for parking garage roof tops in your area of Calgary

After storm relocate/removals are always good money if they are in your contracts as extras

treadlite
07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
This is a first for me, other than having run hand-operated blowers....if any of the experienced blower operators would care to share their expertise, tips and experiences with me I'm all ears....

Particularly how to best operate on pavement vs gravel, how much additional to charge for having the blower on the skid etc....things to watch out for, potential problems, better/smarter ways to run it etc.....

Thanks in advance!!!:drinkup: