PDA

View Full Version : Back hoe vs Mini

4 seasons lawn&land
06-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Just thinkin, obviously a mini works better/faster but with cleanup/fix-up would landscaping jobs go quicker w/ a back hoe than a mini when lawns are involved?

Planted some spruce trees today and it got me thinkin'

actually a smaller backhoe would never move these trees but Im still curious.

bearmtnmartin
06-16-2011, 12:20 AM

It wouldn't? I beg to differ.

ksss
06-16-2011, 01:57 AM
I don't think a compact backhoe would have issue with those trees at least the size of the Deere or JCB mini BH a Terramite would be another story.

It seems there are times that both would be nice. As it is I mob a skid steer and mini ex to a job where a BH would be more convienient. However the mini ex is a master of digging holes as that is all it does. Sometimes the extra reach of an extendahoe would be nice but overall the mini (at least a 50 sized) works better for me than would a BH. If money were no object a used compact BH in addition to the mini ex would be nice for those jobs where bringing a mini and skid is not a good option.

bobcat_ron
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Mini excavators are on tracks, backhoes are on wheels, one will have a lower ground pressure rating, that's the one for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

SiteSolutions
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Just thinkin, obviously a mini works better/faster but with cleanup/fix-up would landscaping jobs go quicker w/ a back hoe than a mini when lawns are involved?

I've never seen any cleanup or fix up done by a backhoe that couldn't be done better with a CTL. If you can only have one machine, the backhoe is nice in that it has a hoe on one end and a loader on the other, but it's kinda like a swiss army knife: Handy in a pinch or if you can only bring one tool with you, but not my first choice when I need a screwdriver, bottle opener, or even a knife.

If you are considering adding a machine, a small CTL or even SSL paired with your mini-ex can do a lot more work, do less damage, get in smaller spaces and work more efficiently than a one-size-fits-all, jack-of-all-trades backhoe ("TLB") - especially if you're doing landscaping that involves more than just planting trees. A backhoe is useless for grading when compared to a machine designed to be a loader and not an all-in-one machine. I would run a mini-sized loader like a Dingo with a mini ex before I would trade a mini-ex in on a backhoe. You can rent loaders in 20 different sizes until you find one that fits what you do. Some are small enough / light enough to ride in the bed of a truck, all the way up to one big enough that you'll have to buy a bigger truck and trailer or make two trips.

curtisfarmer
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM
My Kubota L48s would do that with ease. In fact that is what I use, forks to handle, backhoe to dig and set root balls.:weightlifter:

4 seasons lawn&land
06-17-2011, 06:39 PM
The mini X was a rental. Thats a 5 ton 40 horse Yanmar. I thought it was obnoxiously large and heavy when it got anywhere near a lawn but at the same time it "bobed" carrying those trees. Maybe the pics dont do them justice. They were heavy. Which tells me a smaller mini wouldnt have worked. That made me think of a back hoe because I cant see it being as damaging to the lawn.

SiteSolutions
06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
The mini X was a rental. Thats a 5 ton 40 horse Yanmar. I thought it was obnoxiously large and heavy when it got anywhere near a lawn but at the same time it "bobed" carrying those trees. Maybe the pics dont do them justice. They were heavy. Which tells me a smaller mini wouldnt have worked. That made me think of a back hoe because I cant see it being as damaging to the lawn.

Once you get used to running a tracked machine, it tends to do less damage to turf. Less ground pressure as Ron pointed out means less compaction or rutting of the soil, although sharp turns will shred the grass.

MOREDIRT
06-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Planted some spruce trees today and it got me thinkin'

You are crazy those are little trees I don't see how you made any money renting a mini x to plant 3 trees. And those evergreens are known for breaking roots when handled like that. I could plant those in about an hour with my ctl and pallet forks. Using a backhoe for landscaping is like using a push mower to commercial mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

curtisfarmer
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Moredirt, I disagree with your mower-backhoe comment. Not trying to open a CTL vs TLB arguement, but a TLB in this situation is perfect and TLBs are very versatile for many landscaping requirements. Unless you live in an area comprised of no rocky terrain, planting big root balls with a CTL and forks doesn't seem as effective as having an arm via miniX or backhoe to dig the holes. Also, my experince has been you can really use an arm to man handle the rot balls when in the ground to position them. My 2 cents:)

bighornjd
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a skidsteer on tires and a B20 Kubota TLB which is VERY small and doesn't have much muscle. But, between the two I can usually do what i have to do. I want to add a mini-ex in the future but can't justify the cost right now. The Kubota is small enough for tight areas but really not all that manueverable because it is pretty long by the time you have the loader hanging off the front and hoe off the back. The worst part is moving all the time. You don't have much reach on such a small machine, and every time you need to reposition you have to raise the outriggers and bucket and either spin the seat or do like I do and reach down behind you to push the pedal with your hand (only works if your tall with long gorilla arms like me). TLBs are handy to have around, and can do a lot, but they don't do any one thing particularly well. Overall a skidstter or CTL and mini-ex combo i think are far more roductive and efficient for most things, but you also have a larger investment, more maintenance and depreciation, and a lot of guys can't haul both at once. Oh and you can only operate one at a time too. Even if I get a mini-ex some day, I would probably like to keep the lil Kubota around for small stuff especially since i would like a 5-ton mini. For now I'll just make do. The Kubota is slow but keeps me from having to rent a mini most of the time.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
You are crazy those are little trees I don't see how you made any money renting a mini x to plant 3 trees. And those evergreens are known for breaking roots when handled like that. I could plant those in about an hour with my ctl and pallet forks. Using a backhoe for landscaping is like using a push mower to commercial mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 trees and 10 3 gallon shrubs. I wanna see you dig with your pallet forks:drinkup: