PDA

View Full Version : Something to Think About.......

MOturkey
06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Did you ever wonder if, for some reason, rather than using the biblical seven days for our calendar week, the folks back then had decided to go with eight days, or even nine in a week, grass would grow slower? :)

mowerbrad
06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Now we get into a whole area that really makes you think...

What if there were 48 hours in a day and an hour was only 30 minutes?

What if a minute was 100 seconds?

What if summer were actually called winter and winter was actually spring?

What if we really aren't in the year 2011, somewhere along the way things got messed up and we are actually in the year 9862?

Here's a question...How did the entire universe develop? Not just the big bang, but were did everything come from? Matter had to come from somewhere, had to be created somehow...where did it all come from?

mowisme
06-15-2011, 11:39 PM
It Was God..and why doesn't the sun burn it's self out? Why did explorers think the Earth was flat in the 1300-1400's when the Bible stated it was round hundreds and hundreds of years prior to that? How come human foot prints are imbedded in mud in same prints of Dinosaur embedded in mud? If man originated from Monkeys..why are monkeys still born same as they always have been? How did they mow grass in the say 500ac era in areas other than the deserts? Why am I writing this when I should be sleeping?

coopmaster
06-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Did you ever wonder if, for some reason, rather than using the biblical seven days for our calendar week, the folks back then had decided to go with eight days, or even nine in a week, grass would grow slower? :)
No, no this would mess up my blade sharpening / oil change schedule. Too much to think about.

topsites
06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
You're crazy, I already work 8 days a week, it's called overtime.

But, there exist specific reasons why time is what it is.
For example, the 12 months of the year is zodiacal.
And so on...

Yes, I am sure there is a very fine reason why there are exactly 24 hours in a day as well.

For example...
Why is a day divided into 24 hours?

December 2003 answer: It appears that the Egyptians were responsible for the 24 hour day. The Eqyptians were fond of counting in base twelve (instead of base 10 which is commonly used today). This is thought to be because they counted finger joints instead of fingers. Each of your fingers has three joints, so if you count by pointing to finger joints with your thumb you can count to twelve on each hand. This might seem arbitrary, but is actually just a strange as counting in base ten simply because we have ten digits.

Ridin' Green
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Grass wouldn't grow slower. Instead, we'd need to be taking more off at a time, so we'd all be talking about our ZTR's with 35-50 HP instead of the ones we have now, and the decks would be about 12" deep instead of around 5-6". :dizzy:

As for the rest of it, believe what you want. Me, I believe that God did indeed create it all.

944own
06-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Now we get into a whole area that really makes you think...

What if there were 48 hours in a day and an hour was only 30 minutes?

What if a minute was 100 seconds?

What if summer were actually called winter and winter was actually spring?

What if we really aren't in the year 2011, somewhere along the way things got messed up and we are actually in the year 9862?

Here's a question...How did the entire universe develop? Not just the big bang, but were did everything come from? Matter had to come from somewhere, had to be created somehow...where did it all come from?

What if cat really spelled dog?

Ridin' Green
06-16-2011, 12:14 AM
What if cat really spelled dog?

What if dog spelled dinner.......oh wait, in some places it does:nono:

StanWilhite
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
You're crazy, I already work 8 days a week, it's called overtime.

But, there exist specific reasons why time is what it is.
For example, the 12 months of the year is zodiacal.
And so on...

Yes, I am sure there is a very fine reason why there are exactly 24 hours in a day as well.

For example...
Why is a day divided into 24 hours?

December 2003 answer: It appears that the Egyptians were responsible for the 24 hour day. The Eqyptians were fond of counting in base twelve (instead of base 10 which is commonly used today). This is thought to be because they counted finger joints instead of fingers. Each of your fingers has three joints, so if you count by pointing to finger joints with your thumb you can count to twelve on each hand. This might seem arbitrary, but is actually just a strange as counting in base ten simply because we have ten digits.

TS.
Since I was the one that corrected you on the "speed of light" a while back I hate to do this again, but there aren't exactly 24 hrs in a day....there's something like 24 hrs and 26 seconds.

That's why when you multiply the days in a week (7) x the number of weeks in a year (52) you only get 364 days.

But as we all know, every year has at least 365 days in it, and every 4th year (leap year) has 366 days in it.

In the course of 364 days the additional seconds (in each 24 hr "day") add up to another full day resulting in 365 days in a normal year, and 366 every 4th year.

Just stuff I know for no damn good reason! :laugh:

Ridin' Green
06-16-2011, 12:34 AM
TS.
Since I was the one that corrected you on the "speed of light" a while back I hate to do this again, but there aren't exactly 24 hrs in a day....there's something like 24 hrs and 26 seconds.

That's why when you multiply the days in a week (7) x the number of weeks in a year (52) you only get 364 days.

But as we all know, every year has at least 365 days in it, and every 4th year (leap year) has 366 days in it.

In the course of 364 days the additional seconds (in each 24 hr "day") add up to another full day resulting in 365 days in a normal year, and 366 every 4th year.

Just stuff I know for no damn good reason! :laugh:
.....and I hate to correct you, but there's 23 hours and 56 minutes in a day. :)

StanWilhite
06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
.....and I hate to correct you, but there's 23 hours and 56 minutes in a day. :)

:) You're probably right....I just recalled from memory that there wasn't exactly 24 hrs in a day. That figure came to mind but I didn't check....yeah...you're probably right.

Anyway, the point I was making was the odd thing about the number of days you come up with (364) when you multiply the # of days in a wk x the # of wks in a year. (because there isn't exactly 24 hrs in a day)

Ridin' Green
06-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I know bro, and you were right about everything else, but I just couldn't resist bustin your hump a little. :)

StanWilhite
06-16-2011, 12:55 AM
I know bro, and you were right about everything else, but I just couldn't resist bustin your hump a little. :)

No problem.....at 57 these little "brain farts" come along more often than they used to! :laugh:

tacoma200
06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Why are there more hotdogs in a package than buns?

cut level
06-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Youre eating crappy hot dogs that's why!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
06-16-2011, 04:11 AM

The 7 day week predates the bible.