PDA

View Full Version : Installing bag mulch

NBLL
10-16-2002, 11:43 PM
How does everyone price installing mulch in bags. This is Grade "A" Cypress in 3 cu. ft. bags. :confused:

MPhillips
10-17-2002, 01:07 PM
small quantities, for a homeowner I double my cost...for the most part

Nomoslowmow
10-17-2002, 05:07 PM
I double the cost of the mulch to cover my time purchasing and delivering, etc. then I charge hourly for the installation. The number of bags a manhour varies depending if there are a lot of small plants to mulch around, long distance from the truck to where the beds are, etc.

One guy should be able to put in (and clean up after!) 25 to 40 bags in an hour.

One of those mini garden rakes with a 3 ft handle and about 8 inch wide head saves a lot of stooping while spreading mulch!

HTH

Bob

baddboygeorge
10-18-2002, 02:21 PM
bag mulch rate is as follows double the bag price an a hourly rate to lay !!!fargo mulch is my preference

mowngrow
10-23-2002, 12:12 AM
my first question would be why bagged? i prefer bulk but i would double my cost plus hourly rate to put out usually around 60.00 a yard

vardener
10-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Is it bagged because you can't get it in bulk?

I charge $5 per bag for installation.

MPhillips
10-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Unless it's a new construction, I use bag mulch, or spray mulch, or pine straw. Bagged mulch provides a lot of flexibility...I can move it around to where it needs to be applied without using a skidsteer, I don't have to use any extra mulch, delivery can be more convenienient, and around here it's not that much more expensive, and the quality is a little more consistant.

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 11:32 AM
2 - 2.5 times your cost, depending on how far to drive to get it, and how much you're putting down. Anything under 20 bags 2.5 times cost, over 20 bags 2 times cost.

I like to use bagged mulgh for the small jobs too. It's nice not to have to break out the wheelbarrows.

Scott

Landscape Mafia
12-17-2002, 01:25 AM
I get $60 per yd to install bagged mulch. 27 cubic ft to yd, usually
2cu. yd bags. one man should lay with clean-up 3 to 4 yds depend
ing on location to be mulched. I usually pay $1.67 per bag for no float cypress mulch or pine mulch

MD Land Management
12-17-2002, 11:07 PM
WHY?? I havent used bagged mulch since my early years back in 96 before i had my dump truck and dump trailers. I usually Charge 75.00 per yard for bulk and 90.00 for bagged thats with minimal clean-up weeding, etc is extra all of my customers have never been happier. Great tip to keep maintance low spray round-up once a month along the perimeter of your flower beds. This will also cut down on your trimming time with the weedwackers. Good Luck With Mulching.

Mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ

greenman
12-19-2002, 12:24 AM
Why is it bought in bags? Down here Cypress mulch is popular because it wont float away and its pests and disease resistent. Its only available in bags because its costs too much deliver in bulk because it is shipped from so far away. Its twice as high as hardwood mulch. I only use cypress if it is requested by the customer. Bulk is so much easier. As far as price, I price it the same as bulk.

Lanelle
12-19-2002, 01:35 AM
Why Bagged Mulch: This is a matter of picking the right answer for the site in question. If it is a new installation, bulk is possibly the better choice. If it is a large commercial maintenance site with annual mulching, bagged is less labor intensive. When you buy 20 pallets (100 cu yds) the price is competitive. The labor savings comes in the easy, faster transporting of the mulch and less clean-up. No forking the mulch into a wheelbarrow, dumping and spilling. If you have employees, they may not be as neat as the owner would be. You can also move 5 cu yds of mulch with a skid steer and forks, in one trip. The other option to consider for large beds in naturalized areas is subbing a blower truck to place the mulch. We have discussed the pro's and con's of that here previously.

NBLL
12-23-2002, 12:15 AM
The customer requested Cypress which around here you can only get in bags. Most of our customers get the double cut hardwood which we get in bulk. I think the Cypress looks so much better in most applications:)