PDA

View Full Version : a few scag z model questions

mowcrazy
06-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey fellas, just got a few questions about the scag models. First off, 90% of the time the mowers I have right now are just fine. I own 2 of the scag tiger cubs (the last year before they went to tiger cats)velocity deck 61" with 25hp koehler motors. I love these mowers!

here is what Im running in to. Now that we are not in the crazy rainy conditions in Ohio now I am running the mowers as fast as they can go which is SLOOOOOOOOW. What I figured I would do is step up to the wild cat but See that they use the same 10cc pumps? Are you getting no more speed when you jump to the wild cat? That is my first question.

I cant go with the turf tiger because its just to big for what I need. I have a 16ft enclosed and with the 2 cubs and a exmark 48 up front there is only a few inches to spare and the turf tiger is much longer than the cub or wild cat so thats not an option.

hey here is a thought, has anyone ever tried to put bigger pumps on one of these mowers??????? I demoed a turf tiger that was much much faster than my cubs and the cut quality was the same even though I was running much faster. Id like to have more speed. That is the reason for this post....... Those cubs do a nice job but there like riding a turtle............... is going with the turf tiger my only option?

djagusch
06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
If you can find a slightly larger hydro pump pulley that would make it go faster. Also check your engine rpm to make sure it is not low.

Wild cat and tiger cat should be the same speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Yah you would need to go to the Turf Tiger or Cheetah for a faster Scag.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Cheetah would be your best buy if you want speed and still retail the same cut quality.

I have the exact same mower. What I did was cut open the stops for the stick controls so they move farther forward. If I remember, my gps said it did 10.6 mph after I maxed out the throw on the pumps. I also checked the engine RPM to make sure it was at the maximum safe RPM.

pugs
06-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Cheetah would be your best buy if you want speed and still retail the same cut quality.

I have the exact same mower. What I did was cut open the stops for the stick controls so they move farther forward. If I remember, my gps said it did 10.6 mph after I maxed out the throw on the pumps. I also checked the engine RPM to make sure it was at the maximum safe RPM.

I would not advise doing that. You dont want to run the pumps up against their internal stops. You will damage them.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I would not advise doing that. You dont want to run the pumps up against their internal stops. You will damage them.

I'm not talking, bend the linkage rod or bind it up, just enough to allow full throw of the arm on the pump. It's not going to hurt anything. The sticks move about 1/4 to 1/2in farther forward while still bottoming out on the stops, it does not bind the arm on the pump. It actually has more room to spare but I didn't want to do something like you "think" I did. These mowers are limited when it comes to utilizing the full amount of throw on the controls. It's like having a small piece of plywood the size of the gas pedal on the bottom of the pedal causing the throttle to be limited. Take it off and you get the maximum throttle from it. The 2 mph I gained makes a big difference. It also performs better.