PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Blades

chapandrew6
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I have never sharpened my own blades. Bought a new set and put them on tonight. Learned a lesson that its NOT good at all to run over small branches and stuff because my blades are chipped up. I am going to try and sharpen my own blades and see what happens. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I have 3 blades and they are about 18" long. How important is the balancing of them? I have seen them sold but wasnt sure if i really need to buy that or if someone has an idea for a homemade idea of one if i really need it.
Here is what i was looking at using: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202241646/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I am not a huge company. I only have 6 yards and about 3 acres a week that I cut.
Thanks and hope I can get some good pointers.

scagman52
06-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Why don't you take the advice you received from the guys in your other post and buy yourself an angle or bench grinder. if you want to buy that home cheepo stuff you might as well buy a hand file.

All_Toro_4ME
06-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Yea, as above post said, that sharpener from home cheapo is junk. It looks like a toy. Spend the money and get the proper tools...i.e. angle grinder/bench grinder and a blade balancer.

MOturkey
06-16-2011, 09:42 AM
If you are only cutting 3 acres a week, unless you are doing extremely rough areas, you should be able to get by sharpening like once a month. If I were you, at this point, I'd just pay to have my blades sharpened and balanced. Probably run you about $3 to $4 a blade. That is what I did until my business grew to the point to where it became practical for me to buy a dedicated blade sharpener.

CC Cutting Edge
12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Do blade sharpeners really work? If so whats a good kind to buy? i have never used one, i use a angle grinder to sharpen all mine and it seems like it takes forever to sharpen 12 blades every week

bel-nor
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I always sharpen new blade befor using them. I have a Porter Cable bench grinder and it has saved me over $500 from last year. My most particular customer (female) complimented her cuts and futher asked what technique or new procedure was I using. This really suprised me and I explained I sharpen my blades more often with now having my own grinder. This customer also notices and comments on new equipment and all year has paid with a tip included. Believe me this is the last person I would expect this from.

Mickhippy
12-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Blade sharpening... http://youtu.be/KZyZy0cctOQ

cimkill
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Do blade sharpeners really work? If so whats a good kind to buy? i have never used one, i use a angle grinder to sharpen all mine and it seems like it takes forever to sharpen 12 blades every week

I got a magnamatic 9000 which is a dedicated blade grinder and it has saved me tons of time and effort. They are worth it if you have alot of accounts, and can justify the cost. I also had a really positive comment from a resort we cut. They thought it was the operator of the ztr that took more care to cut it. They wanted me to get him to cut it and no one else. I explained that I had just got a new blade sharpener and that was the difference not the operator. :laugh:

Mickhippy
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I should of added, I dont think you need a dedicated sharpener yet, but as you can see in the vid they make it very easy to sharpen blades. I would just use an angle grinder if I were you but I would certainly recommend the balancer. There is debate on whether unbalanced blades actually damage spindles but they will make your life more comfortable with less vibration and noise.

If mowing sticks you need to sharpen very regularly. I mow over just about anything up to an inch. The trees here constantly drop and cleaning up before mowing would take way too long. I only stop for 1"+ hard wood sticks. But I sharpen pretty much daily. Little and often and thats where the Magna is great. So quick and easy!

Darryl G
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I run over sticks all the time without chipping my blades...it must be something else. Personally I think balancing blades is very important and balance even my new blades...I have never bought a set that were balanced. You can hand sharpen them with a large bastard file, it's just a bit time consuming. Personally I use an angle grinder with flap discs.

bobcat48
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Angle grinder here.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Same here as well, I just put them in the vice and run down them with the grinder just like the magnamatic does, I'm probably not at good as that machine though lol

yardguy28
12-05-2011, 09:23 AM
i recommend the magna matic blade sharpener.

before i got that thing i was having my dad sharpen my blades with a bench grinder and i rarely did it myself. i was always worried about keeping the correct angle.

with a blade sharpener you just sit the blade on the table and move it left to right. the machine keeps the angle for you.

i personally don't balance my blades. but some claim you should and that it will make a big difference.

Darryl G
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm one of those who does believe that balancing blades is important. I use the Magnmatic balancer. Besides allowing you to balance your blades, it makes it easy to check for bent blades. Unbalanced blades can wear out your spindle bearings and also cause vibrations that can cause wear to other components of your machine. Vibrations can also damage you...especially in the case of a walk behind mower where your hands are gripping the handlebars for extended periods of time = possible nerve damage. Just my opinion.