PDA

View Full Version : How did you get started in the business?

YardGal
06-16-2011, 09:36 AM
It's always interesting to hear everyone's story of how it all started. What's yours? Hope you're having a great day!

White Gardens
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I grew up on a farm in West-Central IL. Originally I went to college for 1.5 years to become an agronomist. After a while I realized that wasn't necessarily what I wanted to do.

So I opted to go to a JC until I figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So in the meantime I took gen-ed courses, and graduated with an associates degree in art.

Moved to central IL. Sold shoes for a while, then worked at a fusion cooking restaurant, while helping my brother-in-law with his mowing service. During this time I began to appreciate in-door plant, gardening and general grounds maintenance. I had two clients during that time where I took care of their landscaping.

Then worked for my brother in law for about 2 years. It was primarily a high volume mow-service, and though it was great working for my family, I knew I wanted to get into primarily landscaping type work.

So, I decided to take the Master Garner's course through the University of Illinois Extension. At that point I realized I wanted to start my own business, and 6 years later, here I am.