PDA

View Full Version : Proud owner of a new toy!

Envy Lawn Service
10-16-2002, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to update everyone and say thanks to "EVERYONE" who voted on my trimmer poll!!! you all have been a great help in making a decision I just couldn't seem to make. The Stihl FS 85 got over 40% of the total vote, so you guys basically made the decision for me.

The rain did break this morning and I got to put it to work. I must say this is one fine piece of equipment! Now my old trimmer started easy, but my god! This thing wants to run! It fires half way through 1 pull. It has a nice throaty sound that is music to any 2 stroke lovers ears. The operation is smooth, no vibration. It's just what I was looking for!

Getting used to it is going to take me a while though. The head rotation is opposite of my old one. It make everything feel sort of backwards. This rotation is much nicer when string edging because it throw towards the ground rather than up in the air. But, there again it feels opposite. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I did mangle up some bed edges today trying to get used to it. :blush:

I was going to slip in an image of it's 1st day on the job. But the pic is too big. Anyone now how to make file sizes smaller so they'll fit???

Scag48
10-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Congrats. I bought one about 4 months ago. Take out the spark arrestor screen if you haven't done so already. It will clog up and it won't run for $hit. That's what mine did anyway. Pull it out and you should have no problems. Good luck!

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2002, 12:59 AM
I thought of pulling the screen when I got it home but forgot to do it this morning.

Which way did your previous trimmer cut? Left or right?

Darryl G
10-17-2002, 02:11 AM
Envy - Glad you like your new trimmer.

As far as the file size goes, you can reduce the size of your photos and the resolution. I find that if bring my photo size down to 2.5 inches and drop the resolution to 100 dpi, they will be small enough to post. Your post has to be under about 1 MB I believe. You can make those changes in a photo editing program, save them (too a different file so you don't mess up the original) and try again.

Gravely_Man
10-17-2002, 08:47 AM
I am glad you are happy with the purchase. Getting a new "toy" is always the best! Just take care of it and it will take care of you for years to come getting the job done. It is one powerful machine.

Gravely_Man

geogunn
10-17-2002, 09:00 AM
the rotation thing is a bummer for me.

I like counter clockwise and that about kills your opportunity for having a real smooth, real powerful running trimmer.

GEO

Clewsew
10-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
the rotation thing is a bummer for me.

I like counter clockwise and that about kills your opportunity for having a real smooth, real powerful running trimmer.

GEO

I have a Sthil FS85, and I do believe that it does rotate CC from the operator stand point. IE leading edge moves from right to left. I will say that the Sthil does not lack for power!

Glad you like it Envy! It runs like a banshee!

Brickman
10-17-2002, 12:32 PM
For pic resizing if you don't have a photo editing program email it to Rooster. He has a great program and can send it back to you. I had him do several for me.

Glad you like your new toy.

green with envy
10-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Being a lefty I love the rotation of the 85 !!!:drinkup:

FrankenScagMachines
10-17-2002, 07:01 PM
Glad you like your baby. I got it's smaller cousin, the FS80 in July this year and will never go back to Homelite (my previous machine) or any other homeowner stuff. I hate the curved shaft (for what I do). I hear curved is good (with the guard removed) for trimming headstones at cemetaries. I have not had any trouble with my spark arrestor screen yet, but as soon as it clogs it will get either replaced or removed completely. It does not make it any louder and I have never had any machine throw sparks w/o it anyway. It is a great machine and will start 2nd pull cold and first warm. Impressive power and as mentioned, great sound! LOL it's definately a Tim Allen special.
Curved Shaft trimmers always rotate clockwise, from the operator veiwpoint, and straight shaft trimmers almost always go counter clockwise. I think Homelite and maybe Poulan/Weedeater brand straight shafts go clockwise though.
I can't get used to edging with my 80 either... I could do a nice edge with the old Homelite though :( Guess when the need arises I'll get a FS85RT split shaft trimmer with an edger attachment so I can have a trimmer if needed (or other attachments).
Eric

walker-talker
10-17-2002, 07:30 PM
My Shindiawa runs clockwise (if I am not mistaken). I don't have my socks on and the concrete in the garage is very cold :D or I would go out and check. It got down to 35 degrees here last night....brrr.

MATT

geogunn
10-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Clewsew
I have a Sthil FS85, and I do believe that it does rotate CC from the operator stand point

you may be right.... no left...!:blush:

GEO

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I just took another pic! For some reason it's smaller and will work so here you go!

FrankenScagMachines
10-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Heck while we're at it.... LOL this is gonna be a Stihl Showcase thread....
Here's my FS80

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Did I do the right thing getting the 85 v/s the Carb II 83???

I didn't even think of that again until now!

Scotlawncare
10-18-2002, 06:12 PM
IMHO the fs85 is the best trimmer stihl puts out. you can go bigger if you have alot of heavy brush to cut down. the FS85 is the perfect size. any smaller unit or one with less features is not going on my trailer. I love the solid shaft of the 85 vs the 80. I don't know much about the 83 but if it has any new emmisions stuff on it, I DON"T WANT IT.

Scot

mdb landscaping
10-18-2002, 06:17 PM
lol. anytime the word emissions is incorporated, you know its starved for power, or corners have been cut while making it.:)

Envy Lawn Service
10-18-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm happy then :D Generally I dislike anything to do with strick emmisions anyways!

carlsmower
10-19-2002, 01:00 AM
the fc 83 is running the redmax strato charge engine, that is gone after this year to make way for the new fs110, 4 mix trimmer (nice unit) will kill the shindaiwa t2500, shindaiwa's thinks reed valves are "commercial grade"

Katie_A_C
12-22-2006, 09:04 PM
I just wanted to update everyone and say thanks to "EVERYONE" who voted on my trimmer poll!!!

The Stihl FS 85 got over 40% of the total vote, so you guys basically made the decision for me.

Getting used to it is going to take me a while though. The head rotation is opposite of my old one. It make everything feel sort of backwards.

I went and bought my first commercial trimmer today also and since we still don't have any snow I tried it out on my parents lawn..WHY???? do they make it spin opposite to the curved shaft trimmers that we were used to??????

The curved shaft trimmers spun so I could walk forwards and now it seems like I have to walk backwards to get a good trimming which doesn't make ANY SENSE :dizzy:

or does it????????

puppypaws
12-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I just wanted to update everyone and say thanks to "EVERYONE" who voted on my trimmer poll!!! you all have been a great help in making a decision I just couldn't seem to make. The Stihl FS 85 got over 40% of the total vote, so you guys basically made the decision for me.

The rain did break this morning and I got to put it to work. I must say this is one fine piece of equipment! Now my old trimmer started easy, but my god! This thing wants to run! It fires half way through 1 pull. It has a nice throaty sound that is music to any 2 stroke lovers ears. The operation is smooth, no vibration. It's just what I was looking for!

Getting used to it is going to take me a while though. The head rotation is opposite of my old one. It make everything feel sort of backwards. This rotation is much nicer when string edging because it throw towards the ground rather than up in the air. But, there again it feels opposite. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I was going to slip in an image of it's 1st day on the job. But the pic is too big. Anyone now how to make file sizes smaller so they'll fit???Download Picasa and you can do anything you want with pictures.http://picasa.google.com/

mikes landscaping
12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
My Shindiawa runs clockwise (if I am not mistaken). I don't have my socks on and the concrete in the garage is very cold :D or I would go out and check. It got down to 35 degrees here last night....brrr.

MATT
Yeah your right on that. We have 2 t-230 and they run clockwise.

J&R Landscaping
12-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Some of the new Redmax Tr2300's have had ignition module problems causing the machine to run backwards. I have heard about it but have yet to see it.

fiveoboy01
12-23-2006, 12:03 AM
It runs clockwise? That's odd, it would take some getting used to.

I have an FS85 but it's an FS85X(2-stroke, I don't know if this one Envy has is a 4-mix...). Probably about 4 years old, and I love it. But it's CCW rotation. Must not even be related to this one.

Envy Lawn Service
12-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Another 4 year old thread folks.... but a good one to re-hash!

So here goes....

fiveoboy01
12-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Another 4 year old thread folks.... but a good one to re-hash!

So here goes....

HAHA I didn't even see that!

Katie_A_C
12-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Yea, it's a couple years old but Envy Lawn had the same problem when he got his first commercial trimmer as I did....it spins different direction as my Ryobi curved shaft trimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Envy Lawn Service
12-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I went and bought my first commercial trimmer today also and since we still don't have any snow I tried it out on my parents lawn..WHY???? do they make it spin opposite to the curved shaft trimmers that we were used to??????

The curved shaft trimmers spun so I could walk forwards and now it seems like I have to walk backwards to get a good trimming which doesn't make ANY SENSE :dizzy:

or does it????????

No... doesn't make any sense for anyone that does not run a trimmer left handed.
Never has, never will.

Those of us who are right handed have to learn to work around it, or learn to trim left handed... which I can't do.

This brings up another point to why I chose Ryobi all those years ago. It was the only straight shaft trimmer available with clockwise head rotation. So I knew I could get the best of both worlds out of it.... especially since it would be ME using it.... and I could not tolerate the vibration from the curve shaft trimmers.

It worked out great.... but a few years with it really spoiled me to it. Here 4 years later I still really miss it.... AND I still am not as productive as I was with it and never will be with a counter-clockwise head rotation.

If I had the outreagous amount of funds and 'etc' required.... I would start a new commercial mowing equipment company.... and one of the things I would build is a trimmer for right handed operators with several other features as well.

Katie_A_C
12-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Yea, I also had problems with my first commercial trimmer. I feel like I'm in exactly the same boat as you were a couple years ago...first ZTR and first commercial Trimmer!!::walking:

Next season will be the Big Test:weightlifter:

Envy Lawn Service
12-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Also, I know it is sorta pointless to update this thread now since this model, the FS85R is now discontinued... but I will anyways just to make a point about commercial equipment, and what the Stihl 2 strokes were like.

The unit in this thread here just broke down a short time ago. It ran 4 years as a front line machine and saw many hours of heavy use. During most if it's life it averaged as much run time per day as any one of my mowers and as those got bigger and faster, more to be honest about it.

I would "estimate" is saw 3000 hours of run time.

During that time, other than normal maintenace, I bought one carb rebuild kit ($9) which did not work. So I purchased one brand new complete carb ($80). That's it. So with the cost of the trimmer and all, it cost me 15 cents an hour to own it, plus whatever fuel and string it used per hour.

It was used hard for trimming, edging, clearing, brush cutting with a clearing saw, ect.
It saw a hard life and served me well.

Right now I still have it in storage. It would crank and run tomorrow if I put $75 into a new flywheel for it. To my knowledge that is all that is wrong with it. Stihl started casting the flywheel key 'INTO' the flywheel itself. That key finally wore into, screwing up the timing, and creating the need to purchase an entire flywheel.

If someday in the future I can salvage a flywheel off another dead one, it will roar to life once again.

I replaced it with a RedMax BCZ2600S.
It has some bog shoes to fill.

(I think the BCZ3000 would have been a better choice)

fiveoboy01
12-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Couldn't agree with you more envy.

My 85R was previously used for personal use but It got beat HARD this past year. It did ALL my trimming and I also used it to clear a LOT of light brush and tall weeds. It's a good trimmer and I expect it to last a while yet.

Just Mow
12-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Congrats. I bought one about 4 months ago. Take out the spark arrestor screen if you haven't done so already. It will clog up and it won't run for $hit. That's what mine did anyway. Pull it out and you should have no problems. Good luck!

Envy, go to www.resize2mail.com
This is what I use.

Just Mow
12-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Envy, go to www.resize2mail.com
This is what I use.

Sorry, I posted reply to the wrong person.

clay duncan
12-23-2006, 10:23 PM
hey envy, i totally agree with you about the fs85. i just bought a fs80r and pulled out the flex cable drive and replaced it with the solid shaft out of my old fs85. i think i am going to buy another before they discontinue it.... i also have a fs83r and believe it or not it it has been as tough as the 85r....sad to say but i believe these are the last of the tough dependable weedeaters.

Darryl G
12-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Also, I know it is sorta pointless to update this thread now since this model, the FS85R is now discontinued...

Pointless discussions are your specialty!

LOL...just my way of saying hi. Did ya miss me?

Darryl

Envy Lawn Service
12-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Pointless discussions are your specialty!

LOL...just my way of saying hi. Did ya miss me?

Darryl

Yeah, I sure did....

Merry Christmas Darryl

Darryl G
12-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Merry Christmas to you to!

I don't do the bulletin boards anymore. Listening to all the advice was costing me money...all that stuff about quality work, uniforms, clean trucks, neat appearance, professionalism and integrity. Now I wear blown out jeans and a t-shirt, clean the truck spring and fall, tossed the signage, stopped advertising, started getting my hair cut once a year and things are way better. :)

Anyway...just stopping in...not gonna make a habit of it. Other than adding a Bri-mar 7 x 12 low-pro dump trailer last fall, everything else is pretty much the same here.

Take Care

Darryl