PDA

View Full Version : My lawn signs keep disappearing, anyone else?

Yarden Of Eden
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
So I have been putting up lawn signs on various intersections near stop signs, not on private property, unless its a property I maintain, and I have permission. These signs are no more prevalent than a garage sale sign.
It never fails, I can put one up, and in 1-2 weeks they disappear. At first I thought it was garage salers stealing them to paint and use as their own, but there are other signs from businesses in other industries that are left untouched in the same intersections...
So now I'm wondering if I have a competitor taking them? I am not a large company and have not made enemies with anyone the few years I have been doing this. I like my lawn signs because I get a good amount of calls from them, but its frustrating to lose so many when they run about 20 bucks each to have my full color logo on them.
Any one else have this problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

Texas Lawn
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
i think you are lucky to even get 1-2 weeks before they get stolen

tuffram
06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
They have been stealing my door magnets off my trucks for years now those babies are not cheap.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
They have been stealing my door magnets off my trucks for years now those babies are not cheap.

It's one thing to steal a sign on public property (not right in the first place...) but to steal a business magnet off a persons truck is way past the sign stealing problem. That's messed up.

Yarden Of Eden
06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking of having in small print on the bottoms: "Theft of this sign is a crime and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" won't cost me any extra, and you can't see it unless you are stealing it
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Tell me about it I have had the stolen off my truck while I was cutting a customerís yard the truck right in front of the house. The signs were on the truck while I was cutting the front yard then I went to cut the back yard when I finished and came back to the truck they were gone.

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I have lost a few. I think it is the part timer/ weekend guys who think its funny. Luckily mine only coat about $7 a piece.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
although i feel bad for you in a way, those signs are just eye sores and inmost ciites illegal(maybe not yours, but here they are). i find them unprfessional and i dont know anyone who would call one from an intersection. curious, do you get regular customers out of these or one timers etc?

Raymond S.
06-16-2011, 02:14 PM
You need to find someone to do them for about $1.50/sign. Usually you can order them online for $125-$135 for 100 single sided one color 18x24.
Posted via Mobile Device

Capemay Eagle
06-16-2011, 02:17 PM
i think you are lucky to even get 1-2 weeks before they get stolen LOL, or 2 days!

Yarden Of Eden
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
although i feel bad for you in a way, those signs are just eye sores and inmost ciites illegal(maybe not yours, but here they are). i find them unprfessional and i dont know anyone who would call one from an intersection. curious, do you get regular customers out of these or one timers etc?
This is my first season using signs, I live in a rural area about 40 miles north of MPLS, and there are signs on basicallyevery stop sign corner. I have in the last month added an $80 per week lawn, a real estate investment company who has me mow his personal lawn and the lawns of the properties he flips, and also got called by a property management company to bid a full year lawn and snow on a smallish townhome complex, plus several calls for estimates from one sign in particular. Never had a one timer call from signs.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuffram
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
As long as they are generating you a profit keep putting them back out in the areas they are stolen from. I would try to attach them in a way that will make them a lot harder to steal.

DIXIECONTRACTING
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
So I have been putting up lawn signs on various intersections near stop signs, not on private property, unless its a property I maintain, and I have permission. These signs are no more prevalent than a garage sale sign.
It never fails, I can put one up, and in 1-2 weeks they disappear. At first I thought it was garage salers stealing them to paint and use as their own, but there are other signs from businesses in other industries that are left untouched in the same intersections...
So now I'm wondering if I have a competitor taking them? I am not a large company and have not made enemies with anyone the few years I have been doing this. I like my lawn signs because I get a good amount of calls from them, but its frustrating to lose so many when they run about 20 bucks each to have my full color logo on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

In my area the town takes them down you are not allowed to place signs in the right of way because the town owns it and so they dispose of them right away.

grassmasterswilson
06-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device..

I'd check with the City. A lot of times it is against the city code to put out advertisement signs or any signs for that matter

ALC-GregH
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM

I'd check with the City. A lot of times it is against the city code to put out advertisement signs or any signs for that matter

I doubt that's the case since other signs stay put in the same location as he stated.
Chances are, it's another lawn company/guy that feels threatened with the sign there and steals it only to toss it in a dumpster. They do it as if they think you'll go away.

All this is part of the reason I'd rather not invest the money toward signs that any Tom Dick and Harry can take and throw away. I have other stuff I can throw money away on.

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I put mine in rural areas also, not in the city limits. I am still getting calls and jobs from my signs I put out in April, I definitely think its worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking of having in small print on the bottoms: "Theft of this sign is a crime and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" won't cost me any extra, and you can't see it unless you are stealing it
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL If you don't know who is stealing them how are you going to prosecute them? I do know our county has a truck go around with an extendable rake type tool and rips them down off of poles and trees.

Exmarkboy13
06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
LOL If you don't know who is stealing them how are you going to prosecute them? I do know our county has a truck go around with an extendable rake type tool and rips them down off of poles and trees.

are you serious, id like to see a pic of that machine...

Yarden Of Eden
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Not that I would actually prosecute them, but people who are dumb enough to steal things like lawn signs might be dumb enough to put it back if they read that on it. Just as a possible deterrent
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
I have had many lawn signs stolen, it doesn't really bother me too much I almost assume they are going to disappear and am just happy when I still see them there the next week.

You could hook up a small battery to the ones in locations that get stolen most so the perp gets zapped when they try and take it.:laugh::laugh:

grassman177
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I have had many lawn signs stolen, it doesn't really bother me too much I almost assume they are going to disappear and am just happy when I still see them there the next week.

You could hook up a small battery to the ones in locations that get stolen most so the perp gets zapped when they try and take it.:laugh::laugh:

cept here in the us one could get sued or go to jail for such things:dizzy::laugh:

jvanvliet
06-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Some communities, city's or even counties prohibit them on public property. Check the code & ordinances. I know down my way, after they pick up your sign a couple of times, they'll ticket you.

vencops
06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I have a commercial property I maintain every 2 weeks. It's the road frontage of a 38+ac. tract that's due to be developed.

Everyone must know it's vacant. They put all types of signs there on the grassy corner.

It's a HUGE PITA, to me, to move them when I mow, there. I've not thrown any of them away. I've just piled them up on an adjacent concrete entrance. First time someone puts one of the ones I've taken down back up......I'll take it with me when I leave.

Where exactly are you putting these signs? You have permission?

tebletlawns
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Ive hade metal signs, in my customers lawns, with a chain that is wrapped around a large rock and buried stolen. Some duech came up with a pair of bolt cutters and took em on 2 seperate occasoins. These fly by night guys know that there work is not quality and know they will lose business to the real Lawn Guys. It really sux but it is just a sad part of the game.

Runner
06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Around here, they are illegal on all the places we see them. Subdivision medians, expressway medians, etc. many are put up on private properties that are empty or abandoned. All the ones that get put up on signs, telephone poles, and so forth are taken down by me...this is AL signs - party tent rental, health insurance, work from home, we buy salvage cars, you name it. The only ones that get left up are for lost or found animals. Unfortunately, our township is the only one around that doesn't enforce this,...so it is done by a volunteer basis. We do have someone who has a pretty elaborate sign put up, that is white and in green letters says "Lawn care" and the number. The thing is, these signs set on all the crumbiest abandoned and empty lots around - some of which are all overgrown with weeds. When I saw these signs, I thought of the thread by someone here who has these signs out, that was saying all the calls they got were from people asking if their signs were working. lol

topsites
06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Granted some competitor could be stealing them but as likely it's the local residents who are pissed off about it,
the only reason they haven't said anything is they know the moment they get on you there's the next guy planting a sign
so they just take the easy answer which is to take them all down, one by one.

But They're being taken down because they're considered an eye sore by many. and that is why it's against certain regulations
and local laws to put up advertising like that, you need a lot more than some dude's permission, you need to get with the county
and see what their requirements are and I can almost guarantee that by the time you get it all straight it won't be no more dang
signs at the intersection.

Actually they probably flew off, those things like to come off at any speed over 35 mph,
especially when there's a nice cross breeze blowing and believe me, you never hear or see it come off,
ain't nobody stealing your signs.

Now who was it that complained about my being disrespectful, I'll show you disrespect,
stop plastering and littering your signs all over our neighborhoods!

Around here, they are illegal on all the places we see them. Subdivision medians, expressway medians, etc. many are put up on private properties that are empty or abandoned. All the ones that get put up on signs, telephone poles, and so forth are taken down by me...this is AL signs - party tent rental, health insurance, work from home, we buy salvage cars, you name it. The only ones that get left up are for lost or found animals. Unfortunately, our township is the only one around that doesn't enforce this,...so it is done by a volunteer basis. We do have someone who has a pretty elaborate sign put up, that is white and in green letters says "Lawn care" and the number. The thing is, these signs set on all the crumbiest abandoned and empty lots around - some of which are all overgrown with weeds.

Oh, someone's on my side.

Btw, the lot may look abandoned but it's still someone's property.
Somebody, some person, some business, perhaps the government...
But Someone, Some thing, or somebody OWNS it!

Ain't no such thing as free land for whoever to do with as they please.
That includes sign planting, lets not get into brush disposal at this time.

MOturkey
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I put some out last year, on customer's property, and gave them a little discount each week the sign was in place. Never got a call from them that I'm aware of. Another guy I know keeps several scattered around, on right-of-way corners, etc, like you are describing, and as far as I know, they stay there all summer. He told me last year that he does receive some calls from them.

I'd never remove or throw away another person's sign for a business, but I'll tell you I would like to stick some garage sale signs up someones azz once in a while! We mow a couple of businesses where people are always putting some kind of yard sale sign in the right-of-way. Don't mind that much, but what ticks me is very few come and pick them up after the sale. You're mowing on Tuesday and the sign is dated for the previous weekend. I've thought seriously about taking the ones that have an address on them, and driving by and throwing them out in their yard. :)

Chevy z71
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
That's why i have a trailer gate sign.

tebletlawns
06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Some customers say no because of HOA. The signs i put up are high quality signs that look good. Not just a white sign with writing on it and they are not agaisnt any regluations or anything like that. I highly doubt that the county, or any city offical is coming up in the middle of the night with bolt cutters and stealing my signs. And the neighbors have no right to go onto someone else's property and STEAL my sign just because they dont like it. I see atleast 100 cheap cardboard signs on corners etc on any givin day and I just keep on moving. I dont put them at intersections or any place that is not allowed.

Puddle of Oil
06-16-2011, 09:45 PM
i could leave my signs out all year and no one would touch them. i havent had great success with them though, mostly dead end leads, and they look nice!

Runner
06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
That's why i have a trailer gate sign.

I wish this site had a like button. lol

TNGrassCutter
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a gate sign as well, and vinyl on my truck widows, but they can't be seen at multiple places all times of the day like signs can.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-18-2011, 11:25 PM
are you serious, id like to see a pic of that machine...

??? What machine? It's like an extendable handle on a hoe the guy reaches up and pulls the signs down off the pole or tree.

cub man
06-22-2011, 12:36 AM
if they have wire pushed into the ground chances are scrappers are taking them for the metal its not stealing if its on public property its more like cleaning up your litter

Aaronnc
06-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Put dog crap around them.

Or: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/18/634936/-HOW-TO-Alarm-your-Yard-Sign-to-Prevent-TheftVandalism

Km81
06-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Around here the city sends a truck out once a month to pick them up, then you will get a $100 invoice in the mail for doing it.

The key is to know when the truck is going out

FLAhaulboy
06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Its not theft if the sign is removed from the right of way. Not sure what your laws are but if you put a sign out here in FL, code enforcement will call you to remove it NOW. If you keep doing it, they'll write you a citation & you'll wind up in civil court explaining yourself to a judge that will fine you big $.

Yarden Of Eden
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
What I'm mostly concerned with is one sign in particular, that is on a busy corner, of which I happen to take care of a decent sized commercial property, and have permission to put a sign there. This is a corner that has had the 2 or 3 signs in the same spot since the snow melted, but kitty corner from the property I care for. And I don't think you folks are getting the point of having the little pring on the sign, its just as a deterrent.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLAhaulboy
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
" And I don't think you folks are getting the point of having the little print on the sign, its just as a deterrent."

I see your point but unless the county allows you to place a sign on the public right of way, you cannot do it. The law is the law for a reason and no one is legally bound to obey the lil printing you might put on a sign & placed on public property.

THEGOLDPRO
06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Signs are not allowed in my town,thank god. they look tacky and make the town look like garbage. Most times a sign wont last more then a few hours out here before someone rips it down and throws it out.

jvanvliet
06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
What I'm mostly concerned with is one sign in particular, that is on a busy corner, of which I happen to take care of a decent sized commercial property, and have permission to put a sign there. This is a corner that has had the 2 or 3 signs in the same spot since the snow melted, but kitty corner from the property I care for. And I don't think you folks are getting the point of having the little pring on the sign, its just as a deterrent.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's amazing that after so many posters have warned you regarding local ordinances that you would choose to ignore all of that good advice, tell us we don't get the point, not find out if you are permitted to post signs there, and continue to whine about it being removed.

It doesn't matter who gives you permission, local code and ordinances prevail. Some communities, cities, counties (etc.) require you apply for a permit to post a COMMERCIAL sign, even on private property. And if that wasn't enough of a nuisance, some of them have specific guidelines on what type of sign, color, height, etc.

Why don't you find out? Or do you just want us to feel sorry for you?

usmcdroach
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Around here the only guys that put signs out are the ones that do the worst work. And I too have comm accounts and empty lots where people put them at and I will be the first to tell you I take them out and throw them away. If you do good work and actually try to get your own accounts you dont need to put crappy looking signs up

Wiedmann
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I used yard signs this year. They worked great! Got 10 customers off them plus a few calls that lead to more work. Now they do disappear a lot but I figure how many more people can see them than peoples doors i cat knock on to talk about my business to. My signs don't look trashy at all, I also keep them in front of my house and have people comment about them all the time with how professional they look. Guess it just depends on your area.

grassyfras
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't see how its stealing if your placing the sign on public property. It seems more like littering to me.

I think its tacky how people place signs on telephone poles and at intersections. They deserve to be stolen.

Sammy
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
................. I'll tell you I would like to stick some garage sale signs up someones azz once in a while! ............... I've thought seriously about taking the ones that have an address on them, and driving by and throwing them out in their yard. :)

Done that a couple of times and also called them to come pick up their signs.

ExtExc
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
must be the heat... everyone is a just a tad too crabby on here...

I see they have tracking devices on ebay for $130....duct tape it to your sign and track em like a blood hound. rinse and repeat... press charges, and call your local Hinckley newspaper (or wherever north you are) for the story. :)

ExtExc
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
the point is not to take it to a legal level, but just make them feel really stupid for taking someones property, whether or not they think they are ugly or dont like looking at them, or are a competitor, the fact of the matter is, if there is no law banning the signs, they have legal right or jurisdiction to touch your sign.

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
You need to find someone to do them for about $1.50/sign. Usually you can order them online for $125-$135 for 100 single sided one color 18x24.Posted via Mobile Device

Where can you order 100 signs for $135?

Glenn Lawn Care
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I have had one stolen on my. Granted that was the only one I put out tho.

torotorotoro
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
all right ill confess. i took your sighns. i am willing to sell them back to you for $5 a sighn. pm me if interested.no law enforcement involved