PDA

View Full Version : first snapper/exmark then hustler now bobcat?

grassmasterswilson
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
When I first started about 10 years ago snapper and exmark were the mowers to have. Then everyone seemed to switch to Hustler. Now I'm seeing more and more Bob Cat mowers.

Think this is a price thing? A new company offers a quality mower as cheap price and when they blow up the put a price tag of 10k on them so everyone moves to the next brand.

Most of these mowers are the same besides different features or deck designs.

Richard Martin
06-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Over here in the Emerald City (Greenville) Exmarks and Grasshoppers are real popular. I see a few DC's and Hustlers.

Mac B.
06-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Bobcats are so well built is why they are popular and the price does not hurt either. I like my Procat 61 better than the JD 757 I had before it. It produces a beautiful cut.

Mac

06LTNox
06-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Probably area dependent. Big farm community here so you see a lot of green, in the fields and mowing lawns. After that its Kubota or Grasshopper.

Jims Lawncare
06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
John Deere and Exmarks are the majority here, See a few Kubota and Walkers, but Bobcat does seem to be making some gains..We were just talking last week about how many Bobcats we are seeing on trailers this year...I am still the only Scag in town that I know of, but my buddy is a distributer for Bobcat and told me he can get me a goood deal on a procat..I might be the next one toting around a Bobcat.

mowandblow1980
06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Might be misunderstanding but are you thinking Bob-Cat is new? I actually think they pre-date some of the other companies. They made some improvements to their mowers and I believe their pricing is pretty competitive. I have an older Bunton walk behind thats owned by the same company. Although I do agree most brands are pretty much the same. Just depends on what features you prefer

Chevy z71
06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Never seen one around here.

Top two here are

1.Exmark
2.Scag and every now and then a snapper pro.

ATLandcare
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I've seen them on craigslist, but never in action or even on an lco's trailer.....guess they aren't that popular in my region. Hustler and Exmark seem to reign here.

mowandblow1980
06-16-2011, 09:46 PM
One of Bob-Cats original designers was Dane Scag the founder of Scag mowers. Bob-Cats been around since the 70's I believe.

Chevy z71
06-16-2011, 09:49 PM
One of Bob-Cats original designers was Dane Scag the founder of Scag mowers. Bob-Cats been around since the 70's I believe.

My dad said he use to see them back in the late 80s when he mowed but now you see none.

mowandblow1980
06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Must be regional. I see quite a few in northern New Jersey. Do see a lot of Scag and Exmark though too

LawnCareNoobie
06-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Don't think I've seen a Bob Cat in my area.

tacoma200
06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
I rarely see a Hustler and never see a Snapper used commercially. I agree much of it is regional.

zo6
06-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Bobcat is pretty much all you see here in nj, some scags and toros, and every now nd then a ferris or a ex mark, but ive never seen a grasshopper or dixie, quite a few guys use the dixies for their fert. though...

lawnboy dan
06-17-2011, 08:08 AM
exmark and toro around here -never see snapper either. lesco was popular till the deere hostile take over

grassmasterswilson
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I find it all pretty interesting. First mower I had was an exmark. When it got warn out I got a hustler, mainly cause my dealer had exmarks for $10k. Now that my Hustler is getting a little age on it I notice the dealer has them for $10k-11k. I know its all about supply and demand. When everyone wants a particular machine you can raise the prices.

Our dealer just started carring the Bob Cat line. I've never seen one before now. Seen a couple of companies switch over to them. Not knowing anything else about them I figured they were selling mowers a little cheaper and in a year or 2 would be up in the 10k range just like everyone else.

Guess 10k is going to be the norm for mower purchases!

ommegang
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I see Scags, Toros and Exmarks. A few Ferris. A local dealer just got Badboy. I just picked-up a 36"WB Bobacat 40 miles from me. He had a 52" Bobcat ZTR for $5200. I paid $6800 for my Ferris. But, if it's anything like riding my buddies 52" 25HP Kohler Husq, no thanks. Boy was that rough. Is Ferris suspension that great or just a bad Husq? Never drove anything else.

hammmerhead
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Kind of strange having Badboy built in AR and not seeing that many being used here in my area. Everyone uses Gravely here in central AR for the past couple of years. I checked out the Bobcat line last week and liked what I saw. Growing up as a kid we used Bobcat loaders cleaning out chicken houses. Thats been over 30 years ago, so they obviously know their way when it comes to building heavy equipment. It would be a tough decision for me picking out a new mower, lots of good stuff being built these days and many companies seem to be getting more competitive with the weak economy.

LandscaperPro
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Kind of strange having Badboy built in AR and not seeing that many being used here in my area. Everyone uses Gravely here in central AR for the past couple of years. I checked out the Bobcat line last week and liked what I saw. Growing up as a kid we used Bobcat loaders cleaning out chicken houses. Thats been over 30 years ago, so they obviously know their way when it comes to building heavy equipment. It would be a tough decision for me picking out a new mower, lots of good stuff being built these days and many companies seem to be getting more competitive with the weak economy.

Actually, Bobcat Mowers and Bobcat Loaders are two different compannies. A lot of people think they are related.

hammmerhead
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Actually, Bobcat Mowers and Bobcat Loaders are two different compannies. A lot of people think they are related.

Thanks for the note.

Wow....I just always assumed. After a little searching this is what I came up with.

About Jacobsen
Jacobsen manufactures a full range of vehicles and turf maintenance equipment for sports field, golf, turf,
professional lawn care, municipal and industrial applications. The company markets BOB-CAT®, Brouwer®,
Bunton®, Cushman®, Jacobsen®, Ryan® and SteinerTM brand products internationally through an
extensive distribution network. Jacobsen is a Textron company. Additional information is available at
www.jacobsen.com.
About Textron
Textron Inc. is a $10 billion multi-industry company operating in 33 countries with approximately 37,000
employees in continuing operations. The company leverages its global network of aircraft, industrial and
finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron is known around
the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-ZGO
and Greenlee, among others. More information is available at www.textron.com.

LandscaperPro
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Well thats interesting too. I learned something new. Thanks. Pretty impressive company really.

mowandblow1980
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Textron doesn't own Bob-Cat anymore either. Schiller Grounds care bought them a few years ago. Same company that makes Mantis tillers and Little Wonder blowers